Five-star challenge: Irish take aim at Bryant, Redfield

Nov 27, 2012, 4:53 PM EDT

US_Army_All_American_Bowl_2010_freecomputerdesktopwallpaper_1024

Being No. 1 in the country has its privileges.

Right now, those perks include chasing down some of the top talent in the country, something Notre Dame’s coaching staff is doing as they try and put the finishing touches on a stellar 2013 recruiting class.

There isn’t a lot of room in a class that already has 22 commitments, but that hasn’t stopped Notre Dame from chasing two elite prospects: Florida running back Greg Bryant and Southern California safety Max Redfield. Redfield received an in-home visit from Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly last night, who also caught the 6-foot-3, 200-pound safety’s basketball game. The one-time USC commit looks like he’s down to Notre Dame and Oregon, with the Irish looking in a great place.

BlueandGold.com’s Jason Sapp caught up with Redfield, who said the Irish definitely are his leader. “Notre Dame helped its chances,” Redfield told Sapp. “My parents trust my judgment and after I visited Notre Dame I told them how I felt about them, and it pretty much validated it with them getting to meet the coaches themselves.”

Meanwhile, Bryant’s name has come out of nowhere, but makes a ton of sense considering Cierre Wood looks like he’s leaning towards heading to the NFL instead of returning for a fifth season. In Bryant, the Irish are chasing one of the country’s top playmakers, as the five-star recruit is one of the top 15 players in the country, according to Rivals.com’s rankings. With Irish assistants dispatched all around the country, Tony Alford will reportedly make his sales pitch in person, before Bryant visits South Bend the weekend of December 7th, when the Irish will have their annual awards show.

From a numbers perspective, how this all works out will be interesting. Notre Dame is said to be in great shape with Al-Quadin Muhammad of Don Bosco Prep, a former teammate of freshman DB Elijah Shumate, and Notre Dame would accept the commitment of the edge player, one of their top pass rush targets. With other recruits still in play like Tarean Folston, how Notre Dame closes this class will be fun to watch.

After rebuilding the health of the program, the Irish will have to decide how to use their 85 scholarships, with some tough decisions likely coming down the bend. Tight roster numbers are another good sign for a program that spent a lot of time playing closer to 75 than 85, and Notre Dame coaches will likely do their best to bring in elite players if they can do it, worrying about the usual attrition that comes with recruiting and roster moves each offseason.

With coaches at several high profile schools out of jobs and recruits reconsidering some schools that have fallen on hard times (like USC), there’s going to be quite a few players worth watching before February. And for the first time in a long time, Notre Dame has the ability to play closer, one of the perks of being in the national championship game.

100 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. bernhtp - Nov 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM

It will be interesting to see how Notre Dame navigates these numbers. We have 2-3 spots open now and apparently at least 5-6 elite recruits are seriously in play. Kelly is apparently taking a much harder line about verbal commits that want to take visits elsewhere (ala Weis’ “if you’re looking, we’re looking”) and so we might get a de-commit/de-offer or two. This season puts us back into the driver’s seat.

• 808raiderinparadise - Nov 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Common “problem” for top teams.

ND will get the right guys in the end, the guys that WANT to be at ND.

The depth has been great this year, in the past ND had some good peices and talent but no depth. Kelly recruiting defense is priority #1 … Tuitt, Nix, Shumate … Russell … ND needs to keep the defense a priority with the weather in south bend, the varied oppositions offensive styles with the schedules, nuetral sites, etc …

When you have a winning program the high profile offensive players are much easier to get, The defensive players are much more important.

One thing Kelly can do is find a Special teams coach or do ANYTHING to spice up the punt return game.

• 808raiderinparadise - Nov 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Well all know they guys (no names) that want to battle for BCS championships at Houston & South Florida don’t belong at ND anyways, those types will de-committ.

• kleinick - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Kelly addressed the special teams struggles in a press conference….he simply said its an issue with depth. One more stacked class and our special teams will be insane.

• nudeman - Nov 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM

kleinick
        Specifically he said they lack the depth to have guys who can block the punt team gunners.
        Does ANYBODY buy that?
        Seriously … a couple well conditioned walk-ons should be able to do that.

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM

The depth is great at a few positions, but what about offensive line? I know that Kelly and co. are bringing a great O-line haul this year, but who do we already have on the team that can step up and play next year. Out of our current O-line players, who are we even bringing back? From what I know, isn’t Lombard the only starter with eligibility left?Prestwood is gone, and isn’t Hegarty as well?

Please tell me that these true freshmen aren’t getting thrust into starting positions next year. If that happens, it could be ugly. Strength in the trenches is really important. It doesn’t matter how many great skill position players you have if there’s no one to block.

• ndgoldandblue - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Nichols. I seriously doubt he’s ever going to play.

2. gtizzo - Nov 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I think Redfield will play in front of touchdown Jesus next season. Hey Keith what happens if the Irish have a surprise on NSD and end up with 26? A kid decides he wants to play for ND out of the clear blue sky. Gotta love the talent ND has put together in this class.

• bernhtp - Nov 27, 2012 at 5:36 PM

The SEC answer would be that someone gets gray-shirted or an under-performer gets cut (injury, transfer, spontaneous academic probation, etc.). Notre Dame will obviously manage the numbers in a more honest manner.

• papadec - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM

gt – what happens is less room for 5th year guys.

• nudeman - Nov 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM

papa,
        Right.
        Exhibit 1A: Carlo’s people will have to find him work elsewhere

• bernhtp - Nov 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM

The problem is that the seniors in play for a 5th are very good – players like Carlo, Fox, Cierre – that you cannot replace next year even with an elite 5-star recruit. Cierre is likely gone for a variety of reasons, but the others are guys you want to keep.

• nudeman - Nov 28, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Carlo and Fox have come a long way and LB will have a giant hole next year w/out Manti
        The case can easily be made to keep them but it isn’t guaranteed if the chips continue to fall ND’s way with recruits

• bernhtp - Nov 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Nude, even our elite LB recruits like Smith and Anzalone wouldn’t beat out Fox, Carlo ans Spond (either ILB or OLB). The experience and physical progression are very important there. The frosh would be competing to get onto the two deep.

3. dudeacow - Nov 27, 2012 at 5:36 PM

NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH 2014
    13-0 SEASON

Stellar offensive line with a couple of monsters in there (Nichols, McGlinchey)
    QB play superb with Golson/Kiel/Zaire
    RB corps one of the best with the dynamic GA3, underrated McDaniel, and the powerful Mahone/James combo
    WR group exciting with speedster Neal, towering Robinson, electric Hunter Jr., polished Fuller, and deep threat Brown
    TE group best in nation with Hercules, Welch, and upstart Hueurman
    D-Line forceful with huge Tuitt, monstrous Day, powerful Rochell, and stout Hayes
    LB best in nation with rocks Anzalone and Deeb, and playmakers Williams, Smith, and Randolf
    Secondary overachieving with *name a current offensive player* and *first year starter* and *freshman*
    Special teams terrible.

At least, thats how I envision the 2014 season. Is it looking ahead a little too much?

• heisenbyrg - Nov 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Just missed a bunch of people and included too many freshman.

QB- Zaire doesn’t see the field. Kiel might not either. No controversy going into next season.

RB- Carlisle probably gets the most carries next year, assuming CW is gone. I have no confidence that GA3 is a dynamic running back. Don’t care how fast he is; he lacks shiftiness.

WR- Ummm… how about Jones and Daniels? And how “polished” is Fuller going to be without any experience?

LB- None of those guys will play much. Carlo, Fox, Spond and probably Shembo will be back, and Councell and Grace are supposed to be studs (and won’t be true freshman). If those guys you listed above play a bunch of snaps, there’s no way the LB corps will be “best in the nation.” Keith doesn’t even think Anzalone will play too much next year, so Deeb has no chance.

Secondary- Russell and Jackson are back at corner, though Luke will probably be in the mix too. Safeties Colinsworth, Shumate, Farley, and maybe Slaughter are back too. No need for converted offensive players there.

Special teams- still terrible.

2014 SHOULD be better than this year’s squad, but not if most of the guys you named above play too many meaningful snaps.

• dudeacow - Nov 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM

2014 is two years from now. Golson will be a senior, Kiel a junior and Zaire a sophmore. I forgot about Carlisle, but GA3 does average over 7 yards a clip. Jones will be gone, and I forgot about Daniels. Carlo, Fox, Spond, and Shembo will be gone. I’m not sure about Councell or Grace but I’ll admit they will probably be starters. I didn’t know the eligibility left for the secondary so I made an educated guess. And I’m glad you agree with me on the special teams.

• dickasman - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I think Atkinson actually would be better as a DB…free safety? Tall rangy? Get him on Harrison smith/zeke motta bicep building program!

As regards to recruits, first come first serve albeit with better than18 on act then shut down recruiting.

• nudeman - Nov 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM

dick
        I agree on GAIII. His body type and running style are not ideal for a RB.
        But a great physical talent and supposedly a great teammate and hard worker
        He could be a high draft pick as a DB.

• nudeman - Nov 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Interesting that at TE you didn’t mention Troy
      Not saying that’s right or wrong; just noting how far his stock has fallen

• heisenbyrg - Nov 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM

My bad dude, 2013 does indeed come before 2014. Still overlooked some guys though.

• ndbcs2013 - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Troy = Hercules

• papadec - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM

dude – let’s finish off 2012 & then worry about 2013. Yeah – I think you’re looking a bit too far ahead – but, I like it!

• kleinick - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Tuitt will be playing on Sundays in 2014. He’ll be a top 10 pick after 2013.

• bernhtp - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM

BK may be successful in recruiting Stephon as a 6-star just as he did with Floyd, Te’o and Eifert. A culture has been established and I think that his mom wants to see Stephon graduate.

• 1historian - Nov 28, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Yeah it IS looking ahead a little too much, but there’s no law against it so knock yourself out.

4. soundsofsuccess7 - Nov 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM

max redfield has the reputation of being quite the douchebag around southern California.. not sure if he’s the type of player the Irish really want

• yogihilt - Nov 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

that sounds credible!

• dudeacow - Nov 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I saw a video of him and he seemed to be a very intelligent, well-spoken young man. And I think he was very wise in his de-commit.

• mdirish - Nov 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

If you believe in what Notre Dame is all about you have to believe that being here can change a kid. Take a douchebag and surround him with quality teammates, advisors, students and coaches and I promise you most kids improve. I don’t think we should rule out guys that are little rough around the edges. I think ND can polish these guys. I think that’s why BK recruited Lynch and Greenberry. I believe if given the right about of time here they would have truned into the RKG’s. Maybe I’m just overly optimistic.

• dickasman - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM

That’s what I thought too….also, he has both parents which is saying something. Everybody is douchey these days. Douchey unfortunately is inny! Focking Facebook. I am still waiting for that dumbas site to get my spaced out but hasn’t happened yet. You know why? These so called doucheys out number the normallys these days.

• dickasman - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM

For example, I know a 50 yr old guy that likes to shave his privates completely bare, drives a 6 series Beamer, goes out to clubs at his young age to prey on female doucheys and they eat that sht up, makes me want to vomit! Sure, most certainly, everybody likes bald privates. I do it too but the difference is about 20 years. You wanna talk about douchey! There’s tons of doucheys like this that I know of. What you speak of is not douchey. It’s teenagery.

• glorygreyhound - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Sorry dick, but a 70 year old douchy with shaved privates doesn’t sound that appealing to me!

• 1historian - Nov 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM

dick;

ref; ure 10:17:

I have a list of things that I REALLY don’t need to know. That news just went straight to the top of that list.

Just thought you’d like to know.,

• 4horsemenrideagain - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Dear Coach Kiffin,

I know you have plenty of time on your hands this week since you’re not playing in the PAC-10 Championship game. All the same, I’m sure you could be using your time more wisely shopping for a D-coordinator than bashing an 18-yr.old kid.

5. ajw21 - Nov 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I wonder who will be #2 qb next yr. Golson will get hurt here & there, maybe a few plays or 2nd half of a game. My guess is Kiel but Rees will go in over him if the game is in question like 2 mins left and tie game.

• rjamo123 - Nov 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM

is it a lock that Kiel is staying? I think we can all agree that we are going to have a stud in Golson for 3 more years. If I’m Kiel I would have a hard time staying only to play 1 season.

• nudeman - Nov 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I’d be surprised if Kiel doesn’t play next year. Will absolutely be #2 on the depth chart

• mdirish - Nov 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I know we’re all feeling very good with Golson right now and rightfully so. That does not mean that Kelly won’t be letting Kiel compete for the starting job next year. I love Everett but there are better QB’s out there and who knows Gunner might be one of them.

• flandersst1 - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:26 AM

BK has always had multiple QB’s play in a season and he has now led 3 different teams to undefeated regular seasons – once he did it by playing 5 Qb’s. If he announces next August that Gunner Kiel gets every 3rd series, I trust BK’s decisions with quarterbacks.

• ctfivula - Nov 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I think Golson might only make two more years. There is even a possibility he can leave next year if he has some sort of magical season. I remember when it was quite common for a quarterback to sit the bench until he was a junior or senior. I think Keil stays and Kelly says that there is a competition for the number two spot with Keil, Rees, and Zaire although it looks like its an automatic redshirt for QB’s in Kelly’s system. That being said I think its a safe bet Zaire only see’s the field in the Blue Gold game.

• nudeman - Nov 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM

ctfivula
        That makes no sense
        Why would Golson leave early? To go where? CFL?

• tedlinko - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I don’t know what will happen next year but I do know that Kelly believes in competition. It’s part of his continuous improvement philosophy. You never stop working to get better and competition helps you do that. Golson will obviously go into next year with the inside track – based on experience and this year’s performance – but Kiel will get the chance to show what he can do, and earn playing time. And as we all know, the backup QB is always just one play away from being the starter, and at a place like ND, you’ve gotta be able to step in and perform.

• bernhtp - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I don’t see any of the current QBs going anywhere but onto the stage for their diplomas. Rees will likely pursue a coaching career. Hendrix will go to med school. Keil will fight Golson for the starting job, and Zaire will redshirt.

Given his continued progression, the job next year will be Golson’s to lose. He will be the presumptive starter from spring camp onward. Keil will need to wait for Golson to falter or get injured (not a small probability) and/or consistently outperform him in practice. I put the odds of Everett taking the first fall snap at over 90%.

• dickasman - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Aj you have a good point. Even if he puts on another coat of Armor, unless you’re tebow or newton, you gonna get hurt. I recall bk’s abs were hurt tony pike. Just natural of the offense. You need 2 starting qbs. One on the field, one on the bench. Just ask the nfl. No reason why nd cannot have 2 starting quality caliber back ups on da bench at ALL positions unless we are running out of smart enough athletes which I can also see.

• gtizzo - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I just hope Golson remains the starter. I’m tired of the QB circus every year. I’m fine with Golson being the guy for the next 3 seasons. BK has a history of playing the QB shuffle year after year…I really hope he settles on Golson before spring drills start. Maybe I’m getting a little ahead of things ND needs to win the BCS title first.

• 1historian - Nov 28, 2012 at 7:07 AM

“ND needs to win the BCS title first” he said – offhandedly.

Did you EVER think yuou would be saying that so-offhandedly last Friday August 31?

6. ajw21 - Nov 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM

You never know with Kelly. I can see him using a 2 qb system if Kiel is as good as advertised.

• ctfivula - Nov 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Very true it worked this year. Next year it could be even more dangerous. I think Kelly really does want to just use one though. It looks like it will be a competition just to keep a competitive edge possibly.

• 1historian - Nov 29, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Don’t forget that next season Kiel will be in the same category as Golson is now – a red-shirt freshman with 20 months @ ND – 3 semesters, 2 spring camps and a season running the scout team – behind him.

7. kiopta1 - Nov 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Who do you guys think are the 5 best guys left that we have a real chance at? I am curious if mattingly leaves and we get the big guy from punahae( or however it is spelled).

• dickasman - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Boy I’d love that!!!! I’ll take that switch any day. I hope mat tingly decides to go to udub or something. I’d love to get that Hawaiian stallion!

• irishbornraised - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM

First, it’s Punahou (Don’t worry, only produced the current president, the founder of the Chinese democracy, the guy who founded ebay, and Manti) It was the #1 sports school in the country when Sports Illustrated used to rank high schools. The guy isn’t coming, he’s between UCLA and TAM, as a sidenote, I don’t think the kid’s ND material, he seems to take after Dick’s friend Dingleberry

8. kiopta1 - Nov 27, 2012 at 9:21 PM

When it comes to QB, Kelly likes competition and I think Kiel will have his shots. That doesn’t mean you turn your back on EG cause he is a special talent that seems to get better every week. Can’t wait to see what this team does against the best of the SEC.

9. sgund2004 - Nov 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Speaking of QB’s what are the odds we lose one or two in the off season? Rees or AH or both? And how will it effect this recruiting class?

10. ajw21 - Nov 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM

No way we lose Rees. I think he knows he isnt a starter and seems like an ND guy. If we did lose both then Zaire would be emergency 3rd string but Kelly would want to redshirt him. I can see losing Hendrix but unlikey. Recruiting wont change. 1 qb a yr.

• sgund2004 - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Can’t see carrying 5 scholarship QB’s on the roster, and not sure how it all works but if one leaves does it open another spot for this recruiting class?

• flandersst1 - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I can Hendrix changing positions …

• flandersst1 - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I can see Hendrix changing positions …

11. cpfirish - Nov 27, 2012 at 9:51 PM

My opinion I think GK is for sure the #2 QB for next season. I am very impressed with Golson, Jesus, he is a freshmen and he has his team headed for the national title game!! How could he not be the true #1 QB for the next three years. With that being said I think GK is left in the middle cause we have MZ coming in also. I have loved golson since day one, in his first spring game! I also know that GK is very talented also. Golson will have all the experience and all the confidence in the world after we win the title. It will be very tuff to push him out going into next year! Wow!! Love this team!
    Go Irish!!

• dickasman - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I have no doubt gk has better arm, brain or accuracy but it seems that one trait that is required in this offense is mobility/escapability/ quickfeet…

Anybody know if gk can shak dat azz like keivare Russell?

• penick44 - Nov 28, 2012 at 6:29 AM

I have doubts that Kiel has either of the 3 traits that you mention.

12. ajw21 - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I can see 5 qbs for one yr. Rees and Hendrix are seniors next yr and I dont see Hendrix getting a 5th yr and could see Hendrix switching positions but dont see him playin much regardless.

13. cpfirish - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM

When Golson stays in the pocket and throws the ball, I don’t think any defense can stop him. He is the prefect QB for Bk system. All the TV announcers have said it over and over again how Golson has a really BIG arm. And on top of that he can roll out, and he can also scramble with the best of them.

14. 1historian - Nov 28, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Hendrix is a pre-med and there is no way he’s going anywhere else. Rees is not going to be a starter but he is invaluable here and he would not be so anywhere else. They are both here for 1 more year.

• nudeman - Nov 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM

1histy
      I always read that because AH is pre-Med he won’t be going anywhere
      Why?
      Pre-Med students transfer, just like other majors

I have said several times, to numerous thumbs downs, that AH is the odd man out and needs to transfer or switch positions. He really has no future as an ND QB, barring about 6 torn ACLs. A great athlete, but where could they put him?

Safety? Prob not fast enough.

If he adds a few lbs, LB might be the best bet, but it would take a year to learn the position and at that point they’ll have a bunch of great 2013 recruits (Anzalone, Deeb, Smith) ready to play full time.

• notredameirish1980 - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Hendrix will not be transferring. As a junior premed student, he will be taking MCAT this spring and starting application process. It is more likely to see him as leader of the red hat army or possibly on the punt return team given his speed and size. Switching to a new position where there already is substantial depth makes no sense with one year left. This ship has sailed, but we got a few good moments against AF and Stanford in 2011.

• dudeacow - Nov 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Actually, he is the fastest of our QBs and runs a 4.4 40.

• 1historian - Nov 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM

1) I have heard on numerous occasions that ND has a top-flight pre-med program.
        2) “He really has no future as an ND QB” – probably very true. There are lots of guys on this team (this year and EVERY year) who are getting a top-flight education and might see the field once or twice before they graduate because they just aren’t good enough.
        3) I would assume (yes I’ve heard the ‘ass-u-me’) that at this point he is more concerned with his academic future than with his athletic future. He knows that he is low man on the totem pole and has no problem with that.
        4) He wants to be a doctor. He is getting a world class education in pre-med towards that goal – FREE. He probably has classmates with the same goal who are paying $50,000 per year for that. (Or whatever tuition is these days).

ergo

Why transfer? Where would he go just to stand on the sideline for a year at the end of which – if he had stayed @ ND – he would have a diploma and admission to med-school, which is his goal anyway?

• nudeman - Nov 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

iHisty
        1) Top flight ND Pre Med program … no doubt. But it’s hardly the only great one out there. In the Midwest alone, which is where AH is from there are several which also have great football programs

2) Agree

3) We don’t know. The kid has been a star QB and pitcher in HS; and has had a couple moments in the sun as ND’s QB. He’s 6’4 230 lbs (or whatever) and a great athlete and I wouldn’t be surprised if he still thinks there’s a lot more gas left in the athletic tank before he settles into a med career. I wouldn’t disagree with that, btw.

4) Let’s say he x-fers to a Big 10 school with a great Pre Med program (there are many) He could sit out a year, really pound the books, and be ready to play ball in 2014 with an easier course load on top of it. Not a bad plan.

Regardless … I just think he lacks some key essentials to be a starting QB at an FBS school, not just at ND. His instincts in the pocket are poor and his field vision is lacking. Really think his best option would be to change positions. TE or LB. Shame to let all that ability go to waste. No way he plays next year with EG, TR, GK and Zaire on board. He’ll be #4.

15. mediocrebob - Nov 28, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I would be shocked/impressed if GK did happen to have a stronger arm than EG. The kid has a cannon.

I also don’t believe that a QB in Coach Kelly’s offense needs to run like EG. Gunner may not be as shifty but he is an athlete with size that can pick up tough yards.

As for Mattingly, I want this kid. He reminds me of Eifert. Not saying he would become Eifert but he reminds me of him as far as size/ athleticism coming out of HS. That being said, if he doesn’t want to come, next recruit in…

16. yaketyyacc - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:01 AM

one THEME that keeps coming out in these posts. ND has got some great talent, and leaving us with a win win situation. Don’t want to jinx the present with talk about the future. the feeling is, ND is back for more then one or two seasons. the SEC can be replaced by THE INDEPENDENT. FOR NOW, iRISH GET THAT PIECE OF GLASS IN MIAMI!

17. norcalirish - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Man, just win the next game.

I’m assuming after our opponent is set the recutting will stop and the coaches will start game planning?

• irish4006 - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

In college football, recruiting never stops. The coaches don’t have the luxury to focus on just one thing. IMHO, the demand on the HC’s time at ND, at times, is a little too much since they also have to attend the media evernts, lunch with boosters, fundraisers, play golf with Mendoza/Regis etc. Coach Kelly has been handling it surprisingly well esp. coming from a small school background. CW, on the other hand, would get carried away and either show up grumpy or say something stupid that would make headlines everywhere.

18. paredskinwarrior1985 - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:17 AM

EG will look a lot like RG3 in a season or 2

• bernhtp - Nov 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Everett has a lot of potential, but he lacks RG3’s size and speed. I expect Everett to get very, very good, but RG3’s ultra-elite level might be outside of his capability

• notredameirish1980 - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Everett is not RG3, much more like Charlie Ward with his escapability, strong arm, and point guard disposition.

• bernhtp - Nov 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I agree with the comparison to Charlie Ward.

Despite not having prototypical NFL size, there are a number of QBs that have succeeded at Golson’s size, e.g., Drew Brees. Everett has to get very, very good to break that many rules, however.

19. 9irish - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I think Golson will be around for awhile….and as my friend NorCal said, I am far from worried about that stuff right now.

I think they have a vibe going on, a team, pissed off, tired of hearing about how Notre Dame has been bad, living in the past. And I feel the same way.

Don’t know who we’re going to play, but I honestly think that we will kick the shit out of them

Go Irish

• bblack55 - Nov 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I don’t know about kicking any s*** but, if you look at stats at cfbstats dot com, Georgia, Alabama and ND, are very similar. Sagarin also puts their SOS in the same range. What I would expect is a close, low-scoring game – exactly what the Irish have excelled at all year. The winner probably won’t score more than 20 and that will likely be ND.
      Since we’re talking about 2013 QBs, I’m going on record with Kiel – regardless of where this season ends. Kelly has dropped too many hints to think Kiel isn’t in play. One thing is certain – we’ll start the season with a championship QB.

• 9irish - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Well, it’s just a phrase. You can stomp somebody and the final score might not be shocking, but if you’re watching it, you’ll go “Wow….they are kicking the s**t out of them!”

That is all.

• sgund2004 - Nov 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Agree with the tired of hearing it, I am from Louisiana in LSU country and heard it for dam near 20 years. I bite my tongue and keep waiting for my chance to to return the favors. Hope this is the year. Go Irish!!!!!!!!!!!

20. mediocrebob - Nov 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I suggest reading Pat Forde’s recent column comparing SOS between the Irish, Tide, and Bulldogs. Pretty interesting.

21. nudeman - Nov 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

This recruiting season is just a little different from last when there seemed to be any number of guys who were very obviously jerking ND’s chain
    Arik Armstead and his brother … Smelled a rat on that one from the beginning
    Darby … “Committed” but could never find time for a visit
    Tee & Dee … Fresno based Clown Show
    Decker … De-committed to go to tOSU

Now if a commit waffles like Jamel James or Mattingly, the answer will be “have a good life”
    It’s also not a good time to be looking for a 5th year
    Great problems to have

• ctfivula - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I wish I could reply to a reply on this page but it just does not seem to work that way. O well. That was a pretty funny response the CFL. Hahaha you got me on that one. It’s hard to tell if it was sarcasm or just good old comedy. Correct me if I am wrong but does Kelly have 199 wins on his resume at this point? I think he does. If it is true I could not think of a better win for number 200 than to take down the mighty SEC champions in the BCS championship game. It would be better than in next years season opener against Temple that’s for sure.

• nudeman - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Sarcasm, I guess.
        I love Golson but realistically he doesn’t have the size or speed for the NFL.
        So there’s no leaving early for EG
        Gonna’ have a great college career though

• 4horsemenrideagain - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

On the “size/speed” downside for Golson, before this year in the NFL I would have agreed with the analysis, but look at Seattle where one of the sports figures I most loathe (won’t even type his name) decided to start Russel Wilson over Matt Flynn. Sure, Wilson hasn’t dominated and yes, Seattle’s defense makes it easier to stomach some of Wilson’s shortcomings, but he won the starting job with similar size/speed to EG, and I would even give EG the edge on speed.

22. ajw21 - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I know Z.Martin has a 5th yr option but dont no where he is on the draft boards or if he will stay.
    GO IRISH!

• bernhtp - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Zach is certainly a great OL and our best, but I doubt he goes before the late second round. The SEC, in particular, has a lot of great OL going into the draft.

Zach is a very smart guy who deeply loves Notre Dame. My bet is that he sticks around to play next to his brother.

23. notredameirish1980 - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Assuming Wood and Eifert are gone, I think that of the remaining potential 5th years (Slaughter as a 6th year?), the ones you would push hardest for is Martin and Watt for o line stability, Fox and to a lesser degree Calabrese at LB. Fox has had an exceptional year and has become much more physical. He could probably be an every down guy, so if numbers are to tight Carlo might have to move on (unfortunately). Golic, Stockton, and Tausch are probably gone. Nichols is the wildcard as far as a medical scholarship that might offset Slaughter.

• bernhtp - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM

J Golic, Stockton, and Tausch won’t be offered a fifth year.

Cierre’s status is less clear, but his return seems more doubtful given his need for income (kids), production/competitive issues, discipline issues, etc. The RB position should be pretty deep, albeit without a star unless Carlisle finds a way to stay healthy or Atkinson learns how to lower his pads and hit holes. Mahone and the incoming frosh can provide even more depth and maybe even a star if they land an elite 5-star.

24. tsombanj - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Has ND ever been known to pull an offer from committed players if a higher ranked recruit seeks to come in later in the process? Just curious if a couple of these 5 stars come knocking, then what? I think ND needs most of these 5th year seniors that are contributors (i.e. Fox and Carlo), so there really shouldn’t be much room other than 3 more recruits at the most.

• bernhtp - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I’m not aware that ND ever pulls offers without cause, e.g., academic problems, discipline problems, breaking agreements (visiting other schools), etc.

That doesn’t prevent them from having a frank talk with a commit about their likely (lower) place on the depth chart, need to change position and other negative information that might precipitate a de-commitment.

25. ndirish10 - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Can somebody help me? How do you include a video or pic to your comment?

• 9irish - Nov 29, 2012 at 5:24 AM

irish10,
      What you do, if it is like a youtube or something, start it up, right click on it, “copy to url” will come up, then if you pasted it here it would show up as a link, but when you post it the actual picture will come up, so everyone will know what they’re getting.

It’s easy, and don’t feel bad, it took me awhile to crack the code, too.