Live blog — Alabama vs. Georgia

Dec 1, 2012, 3:30 PM EST

Nick Saban, Mark Richt

Alabama and Georgia will face off this afternoon, with the winner earning its way into the national championship game, where they’ll face Notre Dame. For Irish fans, it’ll be an opportunity to see their opponent face their stiffest competition of the year. It’ll also be a chance to see the vaunted SEC in all its Chick-fil-A loving glory.

This won’t be your standard live blog, but rather a chance to just hang around and talk football… or whatever else you feel like.

As usual, we’ll be joined by the crew at the Observer, who will pick up the slack if your humble blogger gets a little snoozy (as it sometimes happens when watching SEC football). But stop on by, ask all the questions you feel like, and enjoy a Saturday where Notre Dame can’t lose.

***

1. badgerbuck - Dec 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Your 2013 national champs….alabama

• papadec - Dec 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

back under the bridge troll – back under the bridge. That was hardly a stellar win. A win none-the-less – but not National Championship caliber.

• sgund2004 - Dec 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM

@badgerbuck. You could be 100 percent correct. We can stay home with our tails between our legs and say we were going to lose anyway or strap on our helmets and take our chances at being #1….. We lose we’re supposed to lose but we win……We become the Champions that everyone fears. No one wants the return of the Irish!!!!! We’ll except for the Irish!

• 4horsemenrideagain - Dec 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM

neither georgia nor alabama tacked worth a sh!t. then again maybe alabama was trying to make up for poor tackling with the cheap shot quinton dial laid on murray after the pick.

a cheap shot like that makes me wish football had the same rules as hockey, so dial would have to answer to someone for going helmet-to-helmet on a qb (who he outweighs by 100 lbs. by the way). it’s a miracle murray didn’t get killed by that hit.

if the SEC/NCAA had any stones, they’d bounce him for the NC game.

2. yogihilt - Dec 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

In retrospect, to have it all, I now wish all things of the past week or 2 stayed the same, except I would liked to have seen Alabama beat Tex AM. That way we would still be playing for the chip as #2, and Manti would easliy win the Heisman. Oh well, he still has good shot, and so do the Irish. Television ratings bonanza Jan 7.

3. badgerbuck - Dec 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Should be a good game on the 7th will just come up a little short. There is always another year we all know that .for the big picture look at all that money coming your way for just being in the game.that alone is a win win for the Irish

4. kiopta1 - Dec 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM

You sound frightened.

5. norcalirish - Dec 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I’m gonna “Alabama” our season and say that we already won the national championship by going undefeated against a tougher schedule than Alabama. And there’s NOTHING you can do about it!

ND! 2012-2013 national champs!!!!!!!!!

6. badgerbuck - Dec 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I wish wisconsin was playing the Irish I really think they would do the same thing they are doing to Nebraska what they would do to you. I really want to see us play you some time

• ndgoldandblue - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Are you serious? All right. I’ve heard you rant and rave on this blog for a while now, and I’ve never taken a jab. But…come on. Your Badgers have 5 losses. That’s a record for a BCS bowl team. Not a record that you can be proud of.

I’d like to take the high road and just stop there, but I just can’t. Being from an adjacent state to Wisconsin, I’m quite familiar to the drunken Sconnie stereotype. I hate to feed into it, but I think Lambeau field is the only stadium in the NFL that actually has a designated driver program that allows DD’s to drink. That just ain’t right.

Go find some Sconnie website and open up another Natty Light. You’ll get more pleasure than you would posting here. Oh…and consider yourself lucky that your 8-5 team will play in a BCS bowl. If you asked any of the Notre Dame fans on this blog last year if our 8-5 team deserved to play in a BCS bowl, I think you’d get a consensus “no” on that question. But, we’re just a lowly independent. We don’t get to flounder through a piss-poor conference and back into a BCS bowl because the only deserving program in that conference is on probation for breaking the rules.

• runners00 - Dec 2, 2012 at 10:24 AM

You meant “programs” when talking about Sconnie’s conference foes that are ineligible for Rose. Penn St and OSU are both on probation

• sdirish2000 - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Dude, be realistic. I’m not saying Wisconsin is a bad team or anything. They’re actually probably pretty good. But I think Nebraska forgets to bring its defense to some of its games. OSU dropped 60+ points on them too. Last I checked, ND actually has a defense. In particular, a rush defense.

7. mannydomer61 - Dec 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM

To reiterate what papadec said earlier under the bridge troll.

8. dapperdanirish - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM

badger – 5. Does that number sound familiar? 5 LOSSES. Nobody here cares about Wisconsin or your lame attempt to predict the what ifs. Why do you care so much about a blog for ND when you supposedly have a team of your own?

That said, big congrats on the big win and Rose Bowl berth.

9. jag8r904 - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Don’t Catholics and Chick-fil-a share a lot of the same beliefs?

• papadec - Dec 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM

jag – eat mor chickin?

10. zorichmidriff - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Twenty-eight points scored on the vaunted Tide D. One more than what GA scored on the vaunted Kentucky D.

11. zorichmidriff - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Tennessee scored more points on GA than the Tide O. Tennessee…

12. zorichmidriff - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:25 AM

No team notched 28 on the Irish.

13. dermmite - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:46 AM

2 things:

I feel very confident going into this game against Alabama.

ESPN is absolute shit. One of their own passes away, and another tragedy occurs and they give it a 30 second opening. After that they shoot right into the Alabama game. This is why I try, and I mean try, not to watch thier network.

14. mediocrebob - Dec 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Wisconsin is 1 dimensional. Nebraska D formerly known as the “blackshirts” are now “blackskirts” and they have been for a while. Not much to be proud of Wisconsin. You get into BCS by default. You’re really in trouble next year without Ball and still without a capable QB. And OSU won’t be held out next season either.

• yogihilt - Dec 2, 2012 at 6:16 AM

why are we wasting time on Wisc?

• yogihilt - Dec 2, 2012 at 6:16 AM

why are we wasting our intelligence on Wisc?

15. 9irish - Dec 2, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I really didn’t care who won tha Bama/Georgia game, I leaned back and forth.

I think UG would be easier, but who knows…they are hungry, too. Alabama might be getting a little too cocky. They’re both very good teams.

So we’ll see

Go Irish

16. yogihilt - Dec 2, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Yes, but ‘Bama-IRISH… wow one for the ages.. oh yeah, an good luck Manti, Saturday.. Heisman, Maxwell and Butkus.

17. yaketyyacc - Dec 2, 2012 at 8:04 AM

finally the stage is set. we can all prognosticate, debate and revelate. The fact is, there are going to be two very good teams playing for the National Title.
    Two very good but different coacheshes. Brian Kelly, who wears his emotions on the outside and Nick Saban, who dies a thousand deaths on the inside. Two, very good universities, steeped in spirit and tradition.
    Only one will emerge with the National Championship, and because I am a Notre Dame man, and certainly behind the Irish, my revelating is Go Irish Crush the Tide.

• 9irish - Dec 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Yup…I think Alabama is due to go down. God knows, Notre Dame is due to go up. It’ll be a bloodbath though.

I reeeeeeeally hope they work on the return game. Thinks like that (and kicking) might decide it.

Or maybe we’ll just beat the hell out of them

Go Irish

• 9irish - Dec 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM

*things like that…sorry

18. 9irish - Dec 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Just as a matter of trivia (I think we’re all going to be doing this alot for over a month)

I keep seeing stuff about how ND beat Bama in the 73 Sugar Bowl, and in the 75 Orange Bowl. Well, that’s correct, technically. But in 73 it was on New Year’s Eve, the Orange Bowl was on New Year’s day, so it was the “1975” Orange Bowl. In short, ND beat them in bowl games in two consecutive seasons.

1973 Sugar Bowl is my first conscious memory of watching Notre Dame. I was just a little kid…I thought my parents had lost their minds

Go Irish

• papadec - Dec 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM

9irish – you have entirely too much time on your hands – we’ll have to get our Irish fix with men’s & women’s basketball through the Holidays. GO IRISH (all teams)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. irishdodger - Dec 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

@9irish,

U are correct. Ara’s Irish beat Bear’s Tide in back to back bowls. The first gave Ara his 2nd national championship. The second gave Ara a great retirement gift as he stepped down after that win.

20. papadec - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I LOVE IT! – N.Illinois vs Florida St in a BCS Bowl Game. Finally something to upset the espn talking heads more than ND success. I was sitting and laughing my (tired, fat, old) ass off listening to them cry like babies about how N. Illinois doesn’t belong – ohhhh N. llinois is a wonderful team, great quarterback, coach, yadda-yadda – BUT, the system is messed up when it lets a lowly MAC team in, ahead of ……… I’m going to be rooting for N. Illinois almost as much as ND. David vs Goliath & ND vs the SEC.