Irish recruits all over the Rivals250 list

Dec 4, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT

Jaylon Smith

Looking for context as you measure the quality of Notre Dame’s 2013 recruiting class? The Rivals250 — the final grades for the recruiting class set to ink this February — have been finalized, and as you’d expect, Notre Dame has put together a terrific class.

The Irish have recruits all over the top 250, with linebacker Jaylon Smith ranked as the third best player in the country, the highest ranking for an Irish prospect since Jimmy Clausen topped the 2007 rankings. In all, here are the Irish recruits that were ranked.

Rivals Top 250

3. Jaylon Smith, OLB
50. Alex Anzalone, ILB
56. Steve Elmer, OT
65. John Montelus, OL
95. Cole Luke, CB
111. Malik Zaire, QB
124. Isaac Rochell, DE
126. Doug Randolph, LB
171. Hunter Bivin, OT
181. Torii Hunter Jr., WR
223. Will Fuller, WR/DB

For those keeping track of athletes the Irish are still chasing, Notre Dame is after some of the elite players in the country. Take a look at some of the names that are still considering the Irish.

10. Laquon Treadwell, WR
16. Greg Bryant, RB
24. Max Redfield, DB
32. Eddie Vanderdoes, DT (USC commit)
39. Mackensie Alexander, CB
97. Al-Quadin Muhammad, DE
105. Priest Willis, CB
183. Tarean Folston, RB
226. Ebenezer Ogundeko, LB
241. Sebastian Larue, WR (USC commit)

Notre Dame would accept the commitment of Treadwell, Bryant, and Redfield in a heartbeat, and all reports point to the Irish being in great shape with Redfield, while we’ll know more after Bryant’s visit to South Bend. While Muhammad hasn’t made any noise publicly, it’s also believed that he’s a strong Irish lean, giving Notre Dame another strong edge player, and another potential elite talent.

How Notre Dame makes things work with cornerbacks Mackensie Alexander or Priest Willis is anybody’s guess, but the Tempe native has the Irish near the top of his list, and Alexander has played things close to his vest, and where the Irish stand won’t likely be known until closer to Signing Day.

The Irish coaching staff are incredibly high on Tarean Folston, and running backs should be taking a very close look at the Irish, especially with the way the offense has molding itself into a power running, spread team. You’d have to imagine that the Irish would only take one of the remaining running back prospects on board, and you could say the same thing about linebackers, with Ogundeko maybe the biggest defensive reach on this board.

Looking at the remaining wide receiver prospects, Treadwell has been a prospect the Irish just won’t give up on, but it’s hard to see him pulling the trigger for Notre Dame. If a national championship run and a young exciting quarterback don’t do it for him, I’m not sure what will, but that hasn’t stopped Chuck Martin from putting in the time. Larue has also expressed interest in taking an official visit to Notre Dame, but there might be a few academic hoops he needs to hop through before he’s able to do it.

1. kiopta1 - Dec 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM

How many ships does ND have left to give? I see Redfield picking ND. I hope we can get Bryant. I would also like to get another elite D-line man. Many guys are making their announcements during the all American games but it would be nice if we had a clear picture before hand.

HERE COME THE IRISH!

• heisenbyrg - Dec 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Based upon what I’ve read, the Irish probably have 3 spots left. Redfield and Al-Quadin Muhammad are likely to end up in the class, leaving one more spot. For my money, I’d like to see either Bryant or Vanderdoes grab that last spot because it seems highly unlikely that Treadwell will sign (tweeting today that Ole Miss is his leader).

2. dudeacow - Dec 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I think right now the most important recruit to get is Redfield. We’ll need an elite safety out there in the secondary soon. Next in line would be Bryant, as he is an elite power runner that perfectly suits ND’s offensive scheme. I wouldn’t be upset if Folston picked the Irish, though, as I think he will turn into the next LaMichael James/Kenjon Barner wherever he goes. Then we need a top target for Golson/Kiel in Treadwell, although Larue is one of those guys who would be an absolute star on returns and YAC. I do want a great pass-rusher but we’ll be set for at least another year with Day, III (that’s what I’m going to start calling Nix), and Tuitt. After that it will be Day, Rochell, and maybe Hayes as the NT but there is a good chance we’ll pickup Muhammad over the WRs or RBs.

Rating the chance of picking up these guys:
    Laquon Treadwell – Possibility. Irish have come on strong recently
    Greg Bryant – Not likely. Wants to stay in the South
    Max Redfield – Highly likely. Decommited after visiting ND, absolutely loved the place, and Oregon has stopped recruiting him
    Eddie Vanderdoes – Not likely. He just canceled his visit (I think) and will take his last one at USC
    Mackensie Alexander – Who knows?
    Al-Quadin Muhammad – Highly likely. He must be looking at the sack totals for Tuitt (12), Shembo (9), and Kappy (6)
    Priest Willis – Possibility. Once looked like a heavy Irish lean, but that was long ago
    Tarean Folston – I have no idea
    Ebenezer Ogundeko – Highly unlikely. Moved the Irish out of his top three, it’s just a matter of time before he commits the Florida
    Sebastian Larue – Possibility. Like Keith said, he needs to get his grades up

• nudeman - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM

dude,
      Your post is a little diff than what I read/hear.
      I am NOT predicting anything here; just saying this is what I read AS OF NOW. Everything is subject to change:

Treadwell: Still a major longshot. Don’t count on this guy in SB. Says Ole’ Miss is his leader. Seriously.
      Greg Bryant: Visiting ND this weekend. Apparently he and Tony Alford have really hit it off and are communicating daily. ND is gaining here.
      Redfield: Says he’s got ND #1 … then again he’s visiting USC this weekend.
      Vanderdoes; Still in play but def less than 50/50. They’re trying to get him on campus. Have not seen anything about him cancelling a visit. His film is awesome.
      Priest Willis: Zero chance. Has not visited; is not scheduled to visit. Yet has an announcem’t date set. You do the math.
      Mackensie Alexander: Zero chance (my editorial comment). He says ND is still in play but the kid has been all over the place with his comments, and he’s from LA which is hardly a hot bed for ND.
      Muhammed: Everybody says this one is almost guaranteed. The proverbial “silent commit” whatever that means.

It sounds like the most likely guys to sign with ND are Redfield, Muhammed and Bryant.
      But it also sounds like Mattingly and James are highly likely to be dropped or decommit. Both have continued to take visits and there are question about grades for both as well. Neither is considered a huge loss.

• kansasirish - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM

James Onwualu?

• nudeman - Dec 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM

What about him?

• ndfaithful - Dec 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Did you say “would be an absolute star on returns”?

Are you talking about the Irish?

• dudeacow - Dec 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Oh yeah, my bad.

3. keelio19 - Dec 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I’m assuming like Kiopta1 that Redfield will be ND on signing day and would be a big get for us. Keith makes a great point for any and all running backs looking to be apart of a run-base style sort of offense. Our offense isn’t there yet but we are borderline being a pretty dynamic offense once Golson gets more reps and expereience under center. I can see a pretty fast pace offense once Golson gets his groove and that could be trouble for most defenses out there.

I’ve heard the same regarding Laquon Treadwell, definitely someone we would take over mostly anyone else left on the board, but if we don’t get him, we won’t be dead in the water or anything, I know we have a WR already verbally committed coming out of the 14’ class, yeah that’s a long time away from now but we’ll get the WR’s no doubt, especially after this year when they see Golson slinging the ball all over the field next year to multiple WR’s.

Al-Quadin Muhammad as stated from Keith, we seem to be in very good position with this guy, Don Bosco Prep, one of our pipelines for high school recruits, I very well could be wrong but I’m pretty sure.

So there’s two, I’m guessing it’s going to be who ever makes the phone call first to Kelly. I’ve got a pretty good feeling the Staff is going to know shortly after the NC game who they have and who they don’t, though these kids may not make it public until the AA game, give them a little bit of spotlight, as well as giving ND it’s own. My best guess would be either Bryant or Vanderdoes. Bryant mainly because of the points stated already, he’s a big back with speed and would fit into our offense right away and could see the field early and often. Vanderdoes may also be someone we could still get, mainly because of the departure of Monty Kiffin from USC, depending on who Lane brings in to replace him, it could be a major turning point for Vanderdoes to decide to join his buddy Max to the Irish. A lot of time until NSD, and being 12-0 is a major selling point, on top of if and when we beat Bama. If we come up with a big win, or just a win over Bama, I’ve gotta say we’re probably going to have to many of these guys wanting on board, and we’re going to end up having to pick who we want, a nice problem to have. I really feel some of these undecided recruits just want to see how ND is going to stack up against the elite of the SEC before making that decision. Nothing wrong with that, I think they will be pleasantly surprised when they see our boys hit the field against Bama. No matter what happens, we are definitely in great shape for next year and the year after.

4. phillyj - Dec 4, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Here’s hoping none of ‘em show up on signing day in a hummer limo.

5. tonyricemajorharris - Dec 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM

If BD leaves to coach at BC – I wonder who opens up their recruitment

• papadec - Dec 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM

BD NOT going to BC – they picked someone else. See Keith’s latest post.

6. kiopta1 - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

My thoughts are that no one will waiver or at least it would only be the few that are already iffy(mattingly).

7. kiopta1 - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Nude, I like you 3 likely guys and no disrespect to Mattingly and James but I have no prob dropping them for the guys we are targeting in the final months.

• nudeman - Dec 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Right. If this had been a 7-5 year and guys like Jaylon Smith, Deeb, and Anzalone weren’t coming to SB on the next bus, then losing Mattingly would be a big deal. They’re 12-0, so it isn’t. And he’s wavered from day 1 of his commitment.

James has been odd all along.
      Committed out of the blue to ND couple months ago but has STILL not been to SB. Again … if they were 7-5 everybody on the ND staff would be flying down to TX daily to keep him in the fold. Instead, Folston and Bryant are WAY better options and losing James is not a blow at all.

• papadec - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM

nude – not a blow – maybe even a blessing, especially if academics are already an issue. We don’t really need another Fresno fiasco. It sure is nice to have ND in more of a pick and choose position.

8. frankb51 - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:52 PM

tell diaco to stay home, addazio just announced as new coach at BC…..Phew!….that was close!

• goirishgo - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Wisconsin job now open. Much better opportunity. Don’t exhale just yet.

• papadec - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

goirish – I see my cardiologist tomorrow morning – I’ll have to ask him if it’s OK to keep coming to this site & watching the NC game.

9. jomilly - Dec 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM

These aren’t the final rankings. The final rankings come out after the all star bowls.

10. soundsofsuccess7 - Dec 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Priest Willis is believed to be Southern Cal bound.

And Max Redfield is a given to ND.

• nudeman - Dec 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Max is NOT a given for ND
      Already committed to SC once and is headed there again this wknd.
      SoCal kid, and I assure you Kiffin won’t let him go without a hell of a fight.
      His most recent comment was “ND is at the top of my list as of now”, or words to that effect. As of now?
      Not a given

• papadec - Dec 4, 2012 at 11:06 PM

nude – right on! No givens until signing day OR early admission to classes. To borrow/modify from Jerry McGuire – show me the signature on the bottom line.

11. norcalirish - Dec 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM

ND loses out on a kid named Priest…who ends up at usc? What the hell is this world coming to?

12. dapperdanirish - Dec 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Tee Shepherd to Oklahoma? Enjoy.