Te’o leads list of Irish All-Americans

Dec 11, 2012, 4:35 PM EST

Manti Te'o, Stephon Tuitt

The Associated Press and Sports Illustrated released their All-American teams. And as you’d expect from the No. 1 team in the land, Notre Dame is well represented.

Manti Te’o, fresh off a week of travels that covered 8,500 miles in just over seven days as the senior linebacker earned seven major awards, leads the way as a first-team All-American by every measure of the term.

But let’s go through the various teams and look at the Irish members honored for an incredible season.

Associated Press All-Americans

Manti Te’o (first team)
Tyler Eifert (second team)
Stephon Tuitt (second team)
Braxston Cave (third team)

Sports Illustrated All-Americans

Manti Te’o (first team)
Stephon Tuitt (first team)
Tyler Eifert (second team)
Zeke Motta (honorable mention)

CBSSports.com All-Americans

Manti Te’o (first team)
Stephon Tuitt (first team)
Tyler Eifert (second team)
Braxston Cave (second team)
Louis Nix (third team)

Walter Camp All-American Team

Manti Te’o (first team)
Tyler Eifert (second team)
Zack Martin (second team)
Stephon Tuitt (second team)

1. dmac4real - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Big Lou getting no love= Ridiculous.

• 808raiderinparadise - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM

SHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! we want him back next year!

2. dudeacow - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM

CBS obviously knows best.

3. yaketyyacc - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

thanks to all the ALL AMERICANS, and the entire Notre Dame Football team for such an unexpected season. Alabama is very good. You boys are far better. Bring home the National Championship to the place that was “johnny” football, long before Manziel.

• 1notredamefan - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM

4. Joe - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

You missed Manti being named to the AFCA team (they only announce a first team, from what I can tell.) He was also named Sporting News All-American. This matters because Manti is officially on all of the so-far announced teams that form a consensus All-American. The Football Writer’s Association will announce on Friday.

5. junior3443 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Lou Nix is the best lineman on ND but people fall in love with stats. He might be the best Nose guard in the country!

• 1notredamefan - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

He’s a beast…. I’ll post if I can find it but one of the YouTube highlight reels has Teo saying to Lou, NOBODY CAN BLOCK YOU!!!

6. dutch31 - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Kieth, do you get any indication where Nix’s draft projection will be. I truly believe he should be a 1rst rounder right now. Lets hope I am wrong because he would be missed big time. The one game ND got gashed in the running game just happened to be the week he spent in the infirmary.

Get that degree big Lou. I am friends with about 7 or 8 ND grads from South Jersey. That piece of paper comes with a nice salary bump! You won’t play football forever.

7. ajw21 - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Nix did say he wants to win as many awards next year as Teo did this yr so I think he comes back unless he projects as a very high draft pick. I say 90% chance he stays.
    GO IRISH!

8. bernhtp - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Louis will return. My bet is that he is just checking the market for curiosity. The NFL evaluation tends to be conservative, which means he will likely project in the late second or third round, at best.

Louis is a beast, but can significantly improve next year and increase his draft stock. He and his Mom want to experience senior day and get the diploma. And then there’s the fun he’s having and the prospect of another championship run with his friends.

9. irishdodger - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Nix is a RS Sophomore but scholastically he’d be a fourth year senior next year so hopefully he’ll give ND one more year. I know he comes from a large family w/ humble beginnings & that he had a tough time adapting to South Bend (vs Florida). I know NFL money would help his family but I hope all that is trumped by his desire to finish what he started on the field & in the classroom.

10. keelio19 - Dec 12, 2012 at 7:49 AM

As stated above, NIX will be back next year, he has made it pretty public too, and I think Teo has really laid the groundwork for future stars at ND. Teo coming back for his Senior year proved to be the right decision in all aspects of his life, on and off the field. I think the way this season has gone it really opens the eyes to the younger players on the team, that running to the NFL may be all fine and dandy but Teo is a prime example of what could be if you were to come back for your senior year. Not that every year we’re going to go 12-0, I wish to god we do, but I’m a realist and I understand that may not be possible, so lets at least go 11-1 at the bare minimum and the senior come back season will be a new trend at ND. It should be in every players mind that’s considering looking to the NFL, and the coaches need to use Teo as a tool to convince those looking.
    ‘Look, Teo came back his senior season when he could have easily went to the NFL, and look he took his team to 12-0 and played for the national championship and WON, I wanna do that!” (I’m an optimist now).

Can you imagine if every single player that came to ND stayed all 4 years, crazy!

11. kiopta1 - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Word is Redfield is torn between ND and USC after his weekend visit. Muhammad seems to be between ND, Rutgers, MSU, and another…ND leading. There seems to be several guys who have ND in their final 3-4 and we don’t have many ships left so I wonder who ND will give them to and who they will holdout for.

12. ndirish10 - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

To the victors goes the spoils! Congratulations Irish for all of your success this year and continued success for time to come! GO IRISH! BEAT THOSE tides! ONWARD TO VICTORY!!!

13. ndirish10 - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

How does one explain Eifert’s 2nd team selection? There is no explanation other than they were wrong! I may be “a little” bias, but everyone knows that Eifert will be the first TE selected in the draft then, maybe, followed by Zach Ertz (who was selected 1st).

14. ajw21 - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM

ndirish: I agree with you that eifert is the best te but the reason is stats. The other guy put up better receiving numbers.

15. seadomer - Dec 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Understand that nd has SEC like defense is a compliment but after Jan 7, I would like to hear ND defense as its own entity. These espn anal_lysts will finally stop these and we can get some peace in the off season

16. papadec - Dec 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM

How does a player get the Mackey award as the top TE in the country – and not 1st team All-american?