James officially decommits from ’13 recruiting class

Dec 19, 2012, 5:17 PM EST

Jamel James

The whispers have been out there for a few weeks, but today running back Jamel James confirmed he was no longer a part of the ’13 recruiting class. The departure of the 215-pound running back leaves five-star prospect Greg Bryant the only back currently in the class.

James’ status in the class had been up in the air for weeks, and always seemed a bit tenuous with James continually looking to take recruiting visits to other programs. Various reports have cited some academic hurdles that needed to be cleared, as James committed to Notre Dame before ever stepping foot on campus, and seemed like an outlier in a recruiting class filled with habitual visitors to campus.

With the Notre Dame recruiting class now sitting at 21 commitments, it gives the Irish a bit more flexibility as it tries to close out this group. At the running back position, Notre Dame has long been targeting Tarean Folston, a player that would work well in tandem with Bryant, who should capably replace James as the tough runner in this recruiting class.

James will look to take a few official visits, with Washington, Ole Miss and Arizona State on his immediate radar, according to 247Sports. James was originally committed to Arkansas before Bobby Petrino’s firing, only to know back away from his commitment to Notre Dame, a parting that seems mutual.

1. nudeman - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

“Whispers” of his de-commitment?

I guess today is “Understated Wednesday”
    This was a “whisper” in the same way the Corleones were “mildly annoyed” with Tesio and Moe Green.

You don’t see a lot of Moe Green references here on Keith’s blog anymore.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Dec 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM

James was heard to say,”Leave the gun, grab the cannolies,” on his way out the door.

• nudeman - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM

“Carlo, you have to answer for the death of Sonny”

The ultimate “oh sh**; this ain’t good” moment.
        Right there, man, my sharp Irish mind knew he was in big trouble. That olive oil biz was very, very unforgiving.

• ndgoldandblue - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM

“SOMEONE…put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order. When I heard it, I wasn’t angry; I knew Moe, I knew he was headstrong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead, I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we’ve chosen. I didn’t ask who gave the order, because it had nothing to do with business!”

Pretty fitting quote given the circumstances. Who knows why James decommitted? Did he not like the fit with Notre Dame, or was it the other way around? Meh…I don’t ask questions because this is the business we’ve chosen…er…chosen to follow.

• nudeman - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Lofl

“Tom … can you get me off? For old time sake?”

Jesus … that was one cold “no”.
        But all business.

RIP Tesio

• 4horsemenrideagain - Dec 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Barney Miller was a great show, but even Fish had to be a step down for Abe Vigoda, after playing Tessio.

Is James now going to be referred to “the Turk?”

• ndgoldandblue - Dec 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM

All of this Godfather quoting makes me think of my tomcat, Sonny. I named him after Santino Corleone, obviously. And he’s not much of a pet. He’s actually kind of an a**hole like the movie character, so the name fits.

2. simmel65 - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Funny, how a year ago we all would have been stressing and now its like a sigh of relief that we have a spot open to recruit a better player!!

Go Irish!

• drdannddad - Dec 20, 2012 at 6:05 AM

Agreed! What a difference a year makes.

3. 1notredamefan - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

4. 1notredamefan - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

5. 1notredamefan - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Great to see this from espn…. good stuff!

• 1notredamefan - Dec 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I really don’t care about thumb up or down; but if you thumbing down to these videos ya can not possibly have takin this ride for the last 37 years….. just sayin…

• papadec - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:23 AM

37 years? How ’bout 50+? And, I bet bernhtp is way more than that!

6. dermmite - Dec 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Either you got it or you don’t. I remember talking to Greg Little in High School about what a great choice he made in selecting ND only to back out and choose North Carolina. I didn’t realize he was functioning on a 8th grade level in both math and reading. Not ND material! Some have it some don’t.

7. mtflsmitty - Dec 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM

The PTI videos are a painful walk down memory lane. Worse still are those two guys. Watching them yell at each other, as they always do, for 23 minutes was brutal. No the,bs down from me. But that was the least enjoyable ND media coverage ever. Those guys are brutal!

That said, appreciate the effort to post the videos. Not your fault those guys are like having one’s fingernails yanked out.

• nudeman - Dec 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

That show jumped the shark about 3-4 yrs ago IMO
      Borderline irrelevant now
      Kornheiser is supposed to be a supreme jack off to most who work or interact with him

8. nudeman - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM

“Carlo, you have to answer for the death of Sonny”

The ultimate “oh sh**; this ain’t good” moment.

9. nudeman - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Sorry. Sent from phone
    Not sure why this comment shows up here 2x

• papadec - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:26 AM

nude – so who’s counting – not like they’re traffic tickets.

• nudeman - Dec 20, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Actually …. wrong.
        There is a guy here who counts and makes it his life to comment on and police those sort of things

Giving a thumbs down is a big part of his day

• ndgoldandblue - Dec 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Wait nude…let me guess. His handle has something to do with a sexual act?

• nudeman - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Ndgoldandblue
        I can neither confirm nor deny that

10. yllibnosredna - Dec 20, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Not a major loss considering we appear to have hauled in quality big backs in not only Bryant but also Mahone last year. Has Vanderdoes got a specific date tNo visit campus yet? Does anyone have a feel on who Folston favors–ND or Oregon? Any other big names we’re in on besides Redfield and Muhammad?

11. joeymagarac - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM

One of the reasons I love Notre Dame is that it’s classy.

I don’t think that passing along unsubstantiated rumors about a high school kid’s academic struggles – as Keith and a number of commenters have done, here and in the past – is classy.

Sometimes a kid and ND don’t fit. Sometimes the issue is academics, sometimes it’s something else. But whenever a kid decommits or transfers, and whatever the reason was, the classy thing to do is to wish him well. A low class thing to do is to say – without any proof – that he couldn’t cut it academically.

• nudeman - Dec 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I understand and don’t disagree. Having said that “academics” is theelephant in the room when a kid decommits for no other apparent reason.

If Keith doesn’t say something about it then he’d get criticized for overlooking the issue. And Keith only said what is factually true: that “various reports” have cited it as an issue.

• irish4006 - Dec 25, 2012 at 2:05 AM

@joey…, While the point is well taken, it is not very relevant here. KA only said that “various reports” have pointed to some academic issues, in addition to several other potential causes. I don’t feel like it was a terrible blow to our class…

12. mtflsmitty - Dec 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I’m pretty sure KA, as delightful as he is, does not represent Notre Dame in any official capacity. So rest easy. ND’s classy rep has not been tarnished.

13. rcali - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Anyone heard if Aaron Lynch jumped off a bridge yet? Things seem great at UCF.