Key recruit Vanderdoes no longer committed to USC

Dec 28, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT

Eddie-Vanderdoes

Key defensive line recruit Eddie Vanderdoes has publicly announced he’s no longer committed to USC, a decision he reportedly made three weeks ago. Notre Dame, who had a limited target list at defensive tackle this recruiting cycle but has long offered the 6-foot-3, 300-pound blue-chipper, spent the better part of the last two months pushing hard to get a visit from Vanderdoes, and it looks like that hard work has paid off.

Vanderdoes made the de-commitment public in the days prior to the U.S. Army All-American game, partially to avoid the media circus that accompanies the event. And while he’s still set to give the Trojans his final official visit, he’s in the process of setting an official visit to Notre Dame as well.

Justin Hopkins of 247Sports.com tracked down Vanderdoes and got a comment:

“It’s not anything USC did or necessarily that things changed,” Vanderdoes said. “I just wanted to be up front about every thing and I haven’t been committed to USC for quite some time. I actually told the staff a few weeks ago but just have kept it to myself since then. I’m still considering USC, but I just want to make this decision with a clear mind.”

Vanderdoes said the increasing pressure as he heads to a Trojan commit filled Army Bowl may have been the final straw. He will visit USC in January as planned and it will be his final visit.

“I’m still going to visit USC and it will be the last trip I take,” he said. “Right now I’m scheduled to visit on Jan. 18 but I also need to schedule my Notre Dame visit. I may have to move things around to make everything work.”

When the Notre Dame visit happens will be the interesting part. The weekend of January 25th has been a date circled in various media reports, but that would make it difficult for Vanderdoes to give USC his final visit, a commitment he still seems intent on honoring. But with Signing Day the first Wednesday in February, the calendar looks like an enemy not a friend to the Trojans.

As it’s been happening for much of the fall, it’s remarkable to look at how Notre Dame’s success on the field has helped with recruiting down the stretch. The Irish have taken dead aim at elite players like Vanderdoes and Max Redfield, two long-time Trojan locks, and inserted themselves in the thick of it for two of the nation’s top 50 players.

While it’s hard to call the race for the Irish when Vanderdoes hasn’t been to campus yet, Notre Dame finds itself in a really good spot entering All-Star week. Not only will the Irish be playing in the national championship game, featuring a star defensive tackle like Louis Nix who Vanderdoes can watch closely, the Irish will have prospects Greg Bryant, Steve Elmer, Torii Hunter Jr., John Montelus, Jaylon Smith, Doug Randolph and Corey Robinson in attendance in San Antonio, with guys like AQ Muhammad also heavy Irish leans. With the Irish looking to fill three, and potentially four more spots, recruiting could shake out perfectly for the Irish in the 40-odd days until faxes start rolling in.

All in all, just another reminder of the spoils that come with a 12-0 season.

1. ndnapa - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Well, unless he hates his ND visit (unlikely), I now think we are getting EV. No way he goes to UCLA after their defensive debacle last night. Don’t see him at UW, and he already decommited from Southern Cal. I think he’d like the smaller campus since he’s not a city guy.

I think ND is also telling him he would move around on the DL as Tuitt does. He won’t be strictly a NT. that will be a major point, IMO.

• mtiddy - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:47 PM

you forget to chek Rivals.com huh? silly domer homers

Vanderdoes has interest in Alabama 12/30/2012 Rivals.com Football Recruiting

• mtiddy - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:47 PM

you forget to check Rivals.com huh? silly domer homers

Vanderdoes has interest in Alabama 12/30/2012 Rivals.com Football Recruiting

2. nudeman - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I’ve heard so much about how UCLA is a rising program and Mora has them headed in the right direction.

Not so fast my friend.

UCLA looked abysmal last night. If anyone wants to understand the difference between top tier football that teams like ND, Bama, LSU and occasionally Mich play … watch the tape of that game and take note.

No one can tackle.
    Running plays that should be stuffed for 1 yard gains become 7 yard 1st down carries
    Perfectly thrown balls are dropped with regularity
    Passes regularly batted down at the line with receivers wide open (who probably would have dropped them anyway, so no big deal…)

Seriously, between THIS being the up and coming team and the rats all leaving the USC ship, the Pac 12 is an embarrassment.

And by the way, worse than on the field garbage, has anyone read how USC is conducting themselves in El Paso? Players sending insulting tweets about the city, the Sun Bowl, and Georgia Tech; blowing off a scheduled dinner with Georgia Tech because “practice ran 45 minutes late”.

Haden seems like a quality guy and can’t be impressed; I’ve got to believe Kiffen’s days are numbered. Too bad … I kinda’ like having him there.

• bernhtp - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

You don’t even mention Oregon. From what I can tell, they still have a possible NCAA hammer coming down. Was the investigation ever concluded?

• nudeman - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Sanctions coming at Oregon? Sure … maybe in 2017

I don’t understand why these things take forever. Miami has been on the gallows seemingly forever and yet … nothing ever happens.

• gtizzo - Dec 29, 2012 at 12:12 AM

The NCAA doesn’t have the power to subpoena information it needs for an investigation.
        That is why these things take so long, and why they jump on information the from other sources. The report they used to slap Penn State was never intended for that purpose.

• mtiddy - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM

lol really are an idiot huh…..are you SERIOUSLY mentioning notre dame with the likes of ALABAMA and LSU “top tier football that teams like nd, Bama, LSU and occasionally Mich play”? Seriously notre dame(notice I wil not capitalize it as they have not been relevant since 1988) WTF have you been smoking or drinking? they have one good year, thanks to some crappy ref calls and all you homer domers come out acting like you are a “TOP TIER” TEAM….quit the drugs man….

• nudeman - Dec 31, 2012 at 1:07 PM

All: Take note: This was posted at 11:52PM.
        Moonshine in full affect

3. dudeacow - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Does anyone know why Jaylon Smith isn’t in the U.S. Army All-America game?

• dmac4real - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

He is.

4. bernhtp - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM

If we get Vanderdoes, Redfield, and Folston and/or AQM, it would be an amazing class that would keep on giving for years.

• Jennifer - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM

It’d feel like Christmas every day!

5. thepiper3 - Dec 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM

This is all irrelevant if we don’t win on January 7th.

Let’s roll the tide. GO IRISH.

6. yaketyyacc - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM

from what Keith has been reporting, seems like Notre Dame is going to levitate upwards for some time to come. stilll, the caution, tbat we must take care of business on Jan. 7th. regardless of what the oddsmakers say, Alabama is coming to play the Number One Team in the country, Notre Dame, and when we leave Miami, We will still be Number One. Go Irish!

7. soundsofsuccess7 - Dec 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Those ruling out SC as an option for Eddie are just thinking optomistically.

and the other person, who said the way the team has conducted itself in el oasis would be a turnoff.. dude, its facking el paso. kids don’t like boring and shitty cities when they’re from la.

this will come down to SC or ND for Eddie and Max. they’ll choose SC if they want to play in Kiffin’s f the world mentality and nd if they pretend that they want to play on a team with a possibly false image of being respectful and nice.

• nudeman - Dec 28, 2012 at 9:13 PM

soundsofsuccess (aka USC fan)

I hesitate to engage you t all, but yours might be the worst post I’ver read here. Ever.

1) Somewhere in the last 10 years there might be a story about somebody decommitting from a school then re-committing. Somewhere. Doubt there are two stories about such, though. Players decommit for a reason. Chances of him going to USC are probably in the 3-5% range.

2) A trip to a Bowl game is an oppty to showcase what your university and team are all about, beyond just the game. USC is failing miserably and, to everyone but you, they’ve embarrassed themselves. I hope GA Tech beats them 45-0.

3) Kiffin’s f the world mentality … how’s that working for you? He’ll be gone by this time next year, if not a whole lot sooner. And I hope I’m wrong. As an ND fan, I LOVE having Lane Kiffin at USC.

• dmac4real - Dec 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Not to mention that ND went to “Fackin El Paso” two years ago and had absolutely ZERO problems….

8. goirish419 - Dec 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Nude….. Usually your posts are spot on, so I won’t point out on the decommit/recommit thing that I happened to us twice in the same year (AL/Tuitt).

• nudeman - Dec 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Got me on that one. I stand corrected. Sort of …

I’d guess that an overwhelming high % of the time once someone de-commits they’re gone. I’d bet anyone here a new set of Titleist blades that he doesn’t go to USC. Same with Redfield

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Dec 29, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I’d take your bet nudey, but if i win, those titleist blades are just gonna get my game down from a 20 handicap to an 18. Not worth the risk.

As for the decommits, I think USC has a chance to get EV back if they cut ties with Lane Kiffin. I’d be willing to bet that Pat Haden is quietly and actively searching for a replacement, but he knows that he can’t fill Lane’s shoes with a second tier name. He’s gotta land a big name to appease the boosters…somebody who has been a winner at the highest levels (major D-1 or NFL).

If Pat Haden finds that guy, Lane will be gone.

• bernhtp - Dec 29, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I don’t believe there is any significant chance of Kiffin being fired in the next month. Haden has already given him the public assurance. His job is in jeopardy next season, but not this.

9. dickasman - Dec 29, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Guys let me ask a stupid question. How are his grades? Character? Morals? Thankfully, I am over the whole 4star 5 star rating thing, thank god. I’d just like to know that we are recruiting good peoples. No more rape hiding please. I don’t think I could “look the other way” on another one of those. I read an article by a nd graduate in dc papers and it wasn’t pleasant. Just wondering who da hell it was.

10. soundsofsuccess7 - Dec 29, 2012 at 4:22 AM

@dickasman

max redfield may be the most hated kid in southern California by other teams paternal and players. kid flipped off group of parents tailgating as the bus arrived one time.

• dickasman - Dec 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Nice. Lets hope he doesn’t listen to pink Floyd’s we don’t need no edumacation song all day long.

11. nudeman - Dec 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM

NEOYA
    Nudeman End Of Year Awards

GOHAA – Get Off His Ass Award
    Tom Hammond. If you get past a rather strange, circus mime-like appearance he’s actually fin as a play by play guy. Occasional mistake … so what? I’d prefer Tom Hicks but that ain’t happening, since he’s married to Hannah.

GOHAA – Get ON His Ass Award
    Chris Berman. No specific ND related transgressions, just wish the cacophony of disdain from those of us (that’s 99% of sports fans) who are tired of his schtick would reach a nuclear level and ESPN would find him a job in the cafeteria. Or just fire him altogether.

FNMTAW – “F No” Moment That Actually Worked
    Brian Kelly putting Tommy Rees in against Purdue. OK, it worked. That’s as far as I’ll go. Only one more year …

DOTY – Disappointment of the Year
    Davonte Neal. Some of you might remember how badly I wanted this kid to come to ND. I thought he’d be electric right out of the shoot, but in a 220V world, he was 110V all the way. Not totally his fault as ND seemingly only puts 4 guys on the field on their punt return teams. But he scares me the way he makes catching punts a horror show, and his lack of ability to crack even the 2 deep on offense … disappointing.

COTY – Clown of the year
    Tag Romney. Just when it seemed like we were done with this family of Ken Dolls, Tag revealed this week that Daddy lost because he really didn’t want the job. I’m serious. Has seemingly run for the nomination every year since 1964, spent tens of millions of his own money, put his Barbie wife who has MS through an incredibly rigorous 2012 … and HE DIDN’T WANT THE JOB? STFU.

NDPOTYNNMA – ND Player of the year not named Manti award
    Manti is the obvious POTY, so we might as well look at #2. Tie between Eifert, Tuitt, Russell, Louie, and about 6 other guys. Weak … I know. Deal with it.

STFUAGAA – Shut the f up and go away award.
    Dick Morris, who predicted a “landslide victory” for Ken just two days before the election. In his defense, everyone is entitled to his own definition of “landslide victory”. It’s a fair and balanced world, if you just squint and get the lighting just right.

GAASTFUA – Go away and shut the f up award
    The entire SEC who clearly thinks that if given the chance they by themselves could have landed on Normandy without losing a man, sent Neil Armstrong to the moon and back safely, and cured acne.
    Then on Tuesday, they’d tackle global warming and this fiscal cliff thing.
    Insufferable, y’all. The War of Northern Aggression lives in your minds only.

COTYA – Commenter of the year award (this blog)
    Lots of good ones here. bern, runners, yak, jersey, idratherbe, and many others including dickasman for the ultimate change of pace. Gotta’ give it to bostonjan and his son, though. Hope he’s coming along nicely.

WCOTYA – Worst commenter of the year award
    Nudeman. Taking on for the team here.

BOTYA – Babysitter of the year award
    Keith Arnold. I bet he’d like to make the Mayan thing happen for a bunch of us.. Can’t blame him. But he plugs away and keeps this as THE BEST place to go for intelligent dialogue on ND football. Thank you Keith.

BSNDPOTYA – Best single ND play of the year award.
    Everett Golson/Chris Brown, Oklahoma. ’nuff said.

And a bunch of other stuff.
    Happy New Year.

• arkirish - Dec 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM

In Re: GAASTFUA
      Try living down here in SEC country Nude. Most of the people here truly believe that ND would be the 4th or 5th place team in the SEC. It is to the point that come bowl season I root for any team playing against a SEC team.

• papadec - Dec 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM

nude – this may be YBPOTY (Your Best Post of the Year). But then again, you still have 2 1/2 days. Have a Happy New Year – GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!

• nudeman - Dec 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Papa
        Should have mentioned u as a top commenter
        My bad. Your stuff is good
        I’ll come up with something in the next day or so.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Funny stuff nude. I’d thumbs up ya twice if I could.

Side note: my fav tee shirt for the game is the one that says Golden Domers vs. Mobile Homers. About sums it up.

12. goirish419 - Dec 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM

^ well done.

GAASTFUA – Go away and shut the f up award <<<<< had me crying. Lololol

13. papadec - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM

nude – fahhh geddah ’bout it. I don’t even hold a candle to you and/or bern. I may be a little tough on the trolls, sometimes. But, I don’t even come close to you guys, as a commentator. Just a loyal fan of ND. None of the schools I went to (including HS) had a football team, or anything close to a good team – if they had a team. Dad played semi-pro ball for $10/game with two of my uncles during the depression. I played two years in the Corps, on the D-Line – and got my butt kicked by the guys who had played HS and/or college ball. Not a great experience – I think I still have cleat marks on my backside from running backs.

• nudeman - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM

But … you’re still here, on the right side of the sod spewing your own brand of love for ND, vinegar for the trolls and other good stuff. Don’t go changing;, to try to please me …

• papadec - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

nude – thanks for the dedication – I think Billy J is another NYC guy. This IS a nice place to drop into to spend some time talking with friends, (kind of like Cheers) mainly about ND football. There’s another thing we can thank Keith for. That’s what I wouldn’t want to change. Actually, I do change – I grow my beard out before Christmas & the Kindergarten kids think I’m Santa Claus. Those little kids are the only ones I change for.

14. papadec - Dec 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM

nude – if I didn’t try to change for either of my two exs (none from Texas) – I sure as hell ain’t goin’ to change for you – or anyone else. I think it’s a Marine Corps thing, or NYC thing, or………..

15. mikes1160 - Dec 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Nude,

Play of the year: Golson to Eilfert on 3rd and 18 for a TD vs. Stanford. Down 10-3, we had done nothing to that point. And didn’t Tommy come in at the end of that game?

• nudeman - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM