Dec 30, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
With Christmas in the rear view mirror and the final days of 2012 upon us, two things are certain: The Mayans were wrong and Notre Dame is going to the national championship. For a while, I was thinking that those two events were unfortunately intertwined.
As you’d expect, that means the content is coming a bit faster and a bit more furious. (Perhaps this writer will do a better job of pacing himself next year…)
In between looks backwards and forward, let’s slip in a few more Irish Blogger Gatherings. When we decided to join forces with the Subway Domer, the guys at Her Loyal Sons and the Strong and True blog, I never expected us to be discussing national title implications. But now that we’re here, let’s have some fun.
Below, the Domer answered a few questions of mine. Here goes nothing:
1. If you were Brian Kelly, and had to put together a priority list of things to work on in the 40-plus days between the USC game and the national title match-up, what would it look like?
I know this is going to sound very basic, but that’s what it really comes down to for games like this.
1) Conditioning. This is perhaps the most important thing. After a long layoff, and only 15 practices in 40-plus days, it is important to make sure that the entire team can go balls out for 4 quarters- and then some.
2) Strength. You may think that this goes along with conditioning, but it really doesn’t. More so, with Alabama being the opponent, players will need to be at their peak levels of strength. This will be a game much like Stanford, and the hitting twice as fierce. Man up.
3) Fundamentals. Sloppy play can really slow a team down to start these games. After a quarter or two they eventually get back in the swing of it, but it may be too late. The player’s technique must be near perfect from start to finish.
4) Gameplanning. Now, we finally get here. You aren’t going to change a whole lot of what got you there, but certainly there must be wrinkles adjusted for the opponent put in place. Don’t get too fancy though.
2. Obviously, winning and losing is really important on January 7. But will the results of the BCS title game make that much of a difference in how you view this season?
Unfortunately, yes. I know it shouldn’t and this has been an AMAZING season, and I am already happy and celebratory- but losing would leave a dreadful feeling of destitution. If the story is that Notre Dame has truly Returned to Glory, it can only have one real ending, and that’s a National Championship. I’m sorry, but that’s just the way it goes with Notre Dame.
3. Will you let yourself picture what a victory against Alabama feels like? What does the Subway Domer do to celebrate a national championship?
I have allowed myself that feeling many times thus far, but I believe that it won’t even come close to the actual feeling when Notre Dame wins. I’m preparing for total emotional annihilation. As far as celebrating goes, I’m sure it will involve some sort of naked Warlord walking (not running) through the streets of Hicksville, Ohio with Notre dame flag in one hand and a bottle of Jameson in the other.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
Sure it may be corporate synergy, but as a fan of good television and both gentlemen, consider this a Public Service Announcement to set your DVRs.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:56 PM EDT
There will be no secrets between Notre Dame and Michigan Saturday night. Entering the fourth matchup between these two coaching staffs, even a game featuring three new coordinators won’t likely bring any true surprises.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Michigan head coach Brady Hoke and defensive coordinator talk about beginning preparations for playing Notre Dame.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:58 AM EDT
Former Irish and NFL football player Pat Eilers has joined the Irish coaching staff. The member of the 1988 national championship team has been named a defensive quality control assistant for the coaching staff.
Aug 31, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Upon second viewing, quarterback Everett Golson’s 2014 debut is just as impressive. The senior quarterback, playing his first game in 600 days, didn’t seem to miss a beat, leading Notre Dame with five total touchdowns on the way to a 48-17 victory over Rice.
Aug 30, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
The last stormy, humid season opener at Notre Dame Stadium found an infamous place in the Irish record books. Saturday afternoon’s 48-17 drubbing of Rice will be remembered in a much better light.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The live blog is back for another season of Notre Dame football. While most of your favorite writers are watching the game and taking notes, I’m here chatting it up with a few thousand of my closest friends. And we wouldn’t have it any other way.
Aug 30, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Before we get to the action on the field, the NDonNBC crew spent some time on campus and produced a few cool features to help kickoff the season.
Aug 30, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
Consider this a public service announcement for all of those unable to get in front of a TV this afternoon. If you’re stuck at work or on the road over Labor Day weekend, we’ve got you covered to watch the game.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Putting up a better fight for the starting quarterback job than anyone expected, sophomore Malik Zaire reminded many Irish fans that he’s more than just an afterthought in the program. Irish A-to-Z concludes with a look at Notre Dame’s backup quarterback.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Arriving late on the scene during the recruiting cycle, Notre Dame looks like they found a good one in freshman Jhonny Williams. Irish A-to-Z takes a look at the local defensive end, who shows early promise as a pass rusher.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Happy Labor Day weekend, everybody. Here’s hoping you’re spending the holiday with friends, family… and some long-awaited college football. Before we get to the game tomorrow, let’s clean out our first regular season mailbag.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:34 AM EDT
That took long enough, didn’t it? After far too long, football is back. With a preseason camp that the Irish survived mostly healthy, the biggest hits came off the field. As an academic investigation claimed its fifth player Thursday, let’s run through the Pregame Six Pack to get you ready for Saturday’s kickoff.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
The look of Notre Dame’s defensive line changed drastically when senior Ishaq Williams was suspended indefinitely for his role in the academic dishonesty case now pending at the university level. Irish A-to-Z takes a closer look at the one-time five-star recruit.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
It appears that Notre Dame’s internal investigation surrounding academic dishonesty charges is nearing a close. But before it gets there, one additional player will be held out of practice and from competition this Saturday.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Busy prepping for her debut as NBC’s sideline reporter for Notre Dame football, NBC Sports Group’s Kathryn Tappen was nice enough to catch up with me before the season begins.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
With Notre Dame on a roll at tight end, freshman Nic Weishar enters “Tight End U” trying to make a name for himself. Irish A-to-Z looks at the Chicagoland tight end.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
As most hard-core recruiting fans notice Brian VanGorder’s willingness to break the mold when it comes to recruiting, freshman cornerback Nick Watkins looks the part of a perfect prototype. Irish A-to-Z continues with a look at the newest blue-chipper in the secondary.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Brian Kelly appeared on the Dan Patrick show this morning and shed some light on the academic investigation that’s holding out DaVaris Daniels, Kendall Moore, KeiVarae Russell and Ishaq Williams.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Entering his fifth year in Notre Dame’s football program, grad student Justin Utupo is still looking to find a role in the Irish defense. Irish A-to-Z continues with the reserve defensive lineman.
- The good, bad and ugly: Notre Dame vs. Rice 66
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 48, Rice 17 109
- Pregame Six Pack: At long last, the season begins 26
- And in that corner… The Rice Owls 8
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 40
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 93