Dec 30, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
With Christmas in the rear view mirror and the final days of 2012 upon us, two things are certain: The Mayans were wrong and Notre Dame is going to the national championship. For a while, I was thinking that those two events were unfortunately intertwined.
As you’d expect, that means the content is coming a bit faster and a bit more furious. (Perhaps this writer will do a better job of pacing himself next year…)
In between looks backwards and forward, let’s slip in a few more Irish Blogger Gatherings. When we decided to join forces with the Subway Domer, the guys at Her Loyal Sons and the Strong and True blog, I never expected us to be discussing national title implications. But now that we’re here, let’s have some fun.
Below, the Domer answered a few questions of mine. Here goes nothing:
1. If you were Brian Kelly, and had to put together a priority list of things to work on in the 40-plus days between the USC game and the national title match-up, what would it look like?
I know this is going to sound very basic, but that’s what it really comes down to for games like this.
1) Conditioning. This is perhaps the most important thing. After a long layoff, and only 15 practices in 40-plus days, it is important to make sure that the entire team can go balls out for 4 quarters- and then some.
2) Strength. You may think that this goes along with conditioning, but it really doesn’t. More so, with Alabama being the opponent, players will need to be at their peak levels of strength. This will be a game much like Stanford, and the hitting twice as fierce. Man up.
3) Fundamentals. Sloppy play can really slow a team down to start these games. After a quarter or two they eventually get back in the swing of it, but it may be too late. The player’s technique must be near perfect from start to finish.
4) Gameplanning. Now, we finally get here. You aren’t going to change a whole lot of what got you there, but certainly there must be wrinkles adjusted for the opponent put in place. Don’t get too fancy though.
2. Obviously, winning and losing is really important on January 7. But will the results of the BCS title game make that much of a difference in how you view this season?
Unfortunately, yes. I know it shouldn’t and this has been an AMAZING season, and I am already happy and celebratory- but losing would leave a dreadful feeling of destitution. If the story is that Notre Dame has truly Returned to Glory, it can only have one real ending, and that’s a National Championship. I’m sorry, but that’s just the way it goes with Notre Dame.
3. Will you let yourself picture what a victory against Alabama feels like? What does the Subway Domer do to celebrate a national championship?
I have allowed myself that feeling many times thus far, but I believe that it won’t even come close to the actual feeling when Notre Dame wins. I’m preparing for total emotional annihilation. As far as celebrating goes, I’m sure it will involve some sort of naked Warlord walking (not running) through the streets of Hicksville, Ohio with Notre dame flag in one hand and a bottle of Jameson in the other.
Apr 25, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
It’s a weekend edition of the mailbag. We talk about next year’s potential captains, the case for Malik Zaire’s intangibles, another date in SoCal and KeiVarae Russell’s return.
Apr 23, 2015, 11:24 AM EDT
In the first of a multi-part series, we take a look at the running back position post-spring. Here’s a look at the depth chart and stock report for an intriguing position.
Apr 22, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
Want to recap spring football or the Blue-Gold game? Drop your questions below or on Twitter @KeithArnold.
Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And spring games are always a double-edged sword. Let’s take a look at the good (bad and ugly) from the 86th annual Blue-Gold game.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Spring practice is in the books. The Blue-Gold game is history. (Not here, we’ll talk about that thing all week…) So after a frantic few months in the Gug, the focus of Notre Dame’s rebuilt offensive staff can change from planning practices to… planning—well, just about everything.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
While the Blue-Gold game captured most of the headlines this weekend, the biggest victory for Brian Kelly was over Urban Meyer on the recruiting trail. On Sunday, touted Ohio offensive lineman Liam Eichenberg committed to the Irish, just hours after leaving an unofficial visit to Columbus.
Apr 18, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
On a perfect day in South Bend, Notre Dame capped off spring practice with a perfect Blue-Gold game. Let’s go over the five things we learned in the defense’s 36-34 victory.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking to stream the 86th annual Blue-Gold game.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
It’s a spring game everybody can get behind, as Notre Dame’s guaranteed to end this Saturday a winner. With the Blue-Gold game taking place on the LaBar Practice Fields, let’s get ready with the Pregame Six Pack.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:38 AM EDT
With Notre Dame’s annual spring game kicked out of the stadium with massive renovations underway, the Irish are taking to the LaBar practice fields to play on Saturday. But NBCSN will be there to broadcast, and the livestream of the game is also available for you.
Apr 17, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
With the Blue-Gold game set for Saturday afternoon on NBCSN, spring practice comes to an end with a rare opportunity to see Notre Dame faceoff against itself in a live scrimmage. Keith & JJ talk about some of the spring game’s storylines.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
For the first time in over a decade, Notre Dame has a roster crunch. As Notre Dame’s fifth-year candidates submit their applications to the university, Brian Kelly plans on moving forward and using every minute he has to figure out his roster.
Apr 15, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Notre Dame released the official rules and format for the 86th annual Blue-Gold game. As the LaBar Practice Fields transform to house an intimate live viewing audience, an elite group of recruits and a NBCSN television production, let’s get the basics down as we begin to dig deeper into the spring finale.
Apr 15, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
With Notre Dame Stadium under construction, this was already going to be a different kind of Blue-Gold game. But when Brian Kelly announced that quarterbacks Everett Golson and Malik Zaire were going to be live for the first half, he confirmed it.
Apr 15, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
When Notre Dame plays Boston College this November in Fenway Park, tickets will be hard to come by. But for BC fans looking for a ticket through the Eagles’ athletic department, they better bring their savings accounts.
Apr 14, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
2016 defensive end Julian Okwara committed to Notre Dame on Tuesday evening, following in the footsteps of his brother Romeo.
Apr 14, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Most thought C.J. Prosise spending spring practice working with the running backs was a contingency plan—finding a capable body to split carries with Tarean Folston and Greg Bryant. But Prosise has emerged as a true wildcard in the Irish offense, with Brian Kelly looking for new ways to get the football in the 220-pounder’s hands.
Apr 13, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Brian Kelly can’t be sure that Everett Golson will be here in 2015. But after 25 years of coaching college football, Notre Dame’s head coach feels like Golson’s actions are speaking for themselves.
Apr 12, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
With a big scrimmage on Saturday to get to and a Sunday at Augusta around the corner, let’s get to some mailbag questions.
Apr 11, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
When Jarrett Grace broke his leg in four places, the linebacker’s career nearly ended. Eighteen months later, Grace is back on the field, and back a part of the master plans for the Irish defense.
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 60
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12