Irish arrive in South Florida

Jan 3, 2013, 1:38 AM EDT

University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish head coach Kelly talks to the media after getting off  the plane during arrivals at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport for the 2013 Discover BCS National Championship game in Ft. Lauderdale

With a contingency of Orange jacketed boosters waiting on the tarmac, Brian Kelly and the Fighting Irish arrived in South Florida, landing in Fort Lauderdale on the final step of their miraculous journey.

With a throng of media surrounding the Irish head coach as he exited the plane, National Championship week has started in earnest. It couldn’t come soon enough.

“Getting on the plane, we finally realized the fact that we are going to play a football game. Everybody was just anxious to get here,” Kelly said.

You’re not alone, coach.

While we’ll continue to pump out our player features, we’re going to turn our attention to the football game for the rest of the week. I’ll be traveling to Miami on Thursday and posting early and often until game day. (You may also catch me pitching in on NBC Sports Network, too.)

As usual, I’ll do my best to keep you up to speed on all the comings and goings, and keep my ears open for any news that could break in the next few days. If you’re down in Florida for the game, drop me a Tweet or fire off a comment and we’ll see if we can get an Inside the Irish get together on the books.

After a very long month of waiting, it’s finally time to see if Notre Dame can take down the mighty Alabama Crimson Tide.

It should be mighty fun.

1. dickasman - Jan 3, 2013 at 2:08 AM

How’s the temperature down there? Be careful of all the he she’s please. A lot of my first name into last name going on down there! Love the beach n clubs though!!! Well, used to anyways…good ol days.

• whodabigdog - Jan 3, 2013 at 3:21 AM

@dick, Not going ? Was hoping to party with you at the Vibe.I’m getting around to head to the airport in a few minuets. 11 degrees outside, cant wait for that sunshine. Go IRISH!!! Letsdo this!!!

• dickasman - Jan 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM

No. I can and should but won’t. Unfortunately, I had to stop snorting cocaine, popping ecstasy and laying escorts. I’ve turned over a new leaf and by that no I didn’t go back to smoking marijuana. I am like manti teo now minus the virgin thing.

2. jerseyshorendfan1 - Jan 3, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Keith will there be a live blog for the game?

3. aceinthehole12 - Jan 3, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Ah so anxious for this game..been waiting 20 years (I’m 25 now) to see the Irish in the title game. Can’t believe we’re days away from the big game. Lucky them being in the warmth…it was 6 degrees here in Chicago this morning….

4. bernhtp - Jan 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM

This is a great article on how it’s now time to kick some ass. Stop the reverence for the almighty SEC/Alabama and take it to them. In my personal history beginning in the early seventies, Notre Dame never loses the big championship game. I expect this to be no different.

I am flying to Miami tomorrow to get an early start on the parties. Wife’s in tow, so nothing crazy, but it will be a lot of fun.

• bernhtp - Jan 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Let’s take a look at how Louisville didn’t bow down to the almighty SEC and kicked the ass of an overwhelmingly favored Florida. We can do the same.

• nudeman - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Louisville was at times great and at times looked like you’d expect a 21st ranked team to look. Their QB Bridgewater is an up and comer, but not in Golson’s league as a passer. Not even close. BUT … they played like they actually WANTED to be there.

Florida … #3? Don’t think so. Stanford would crush them. Looked to me like UF was cocky, had a “We’re the SEC/You’re not” attitude

Everything I saw last night makes me believe the SEC is in fact overrated.

• nudeman - Jan 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM

One other thing: Toward the end of the game with a comeback still possible, UF had the ball deep in the Louisville red zone. Driskell dropped back to pass and was sacked, and on the replay it showed the worst “blocking” I’ve ever seen from a left tackle at any position, any level. And I’ve watched the Chi Bears’ Jamarcus Webb all year.

Guy completely whiffed, looked like he was thinking about his girlfriend or the post game meal – anything but football. Maybe the guy was a sub and just in for a play, I don’t know. But when they review the film, I don’t want to be that guy.

ND has no one even on their scout team who would play like that.

• irish4006 - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM

It took a long time nude to see that they have been overrated?!?! I actually predicted a Clemson win and was hoping for UM to sneak one by SC, Nebraska too had a good shot until they blew it in the end; and UM and Nebraska are not great teams. Being Irish, first and foremost, I was kind of laughing inside when UM got burnt in with a few seconds remaining (and on the long pass plays). This will hurt for a while.

I didn’t think Louisville would pull one out for the exact same reasons you mentioned, they looked very much like a team there ranking suggested they would; not because I thought UF was any good. Watching SEC the whole year, it seemed like a bunch of good but very similar teams who are very familiar with each other’s style slugging it out and none really stood out as very good.

Can you imagine that this stupid team was one ND loss away from getting into the NC game? The whole conference (including Bama) just rode its reputation and kept staying on top in the polls. I would really love to see one of these overrated SEC teams against Oregon, would be fun to see the humiliation.

Alabama, however, is still the best of the bunch and ND hasn’t been playing to its potential on offense. They are beatable, but so is ND. We need to just focus and play a complete game. Go Irish!!

5. North of Denver - Jan 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Start my journey to Miami in 32 hours. This sh$t is awesome!

6. goirishgo - Jan 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I’m way too fired up for it to only be Thursday.

7. kansasirish - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Not liking all the recent BK to the NFL talk. Please don’t leave!!

• jsrnd1 - Jan 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Chip Kelly smarty pants…maybe you should read the articles before posting!

• kansasirish - Jan 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Maybe you should watch The Dan Patrick Show or ESPN before you pop off Jack Ass!!

• nudeman - Jan 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Kansas … was there news today from the DP show about BK to NFL?

Personally I think this is just the inevitable blather that comes when a bright young coach has a great year with a well known program. BK has aspired to coach ND for a long long time. He’s been through some lean times at ND (like the “my guys” BS) when people were questioning him; the QB mess last year when people thought he had a blind spot and didn’t know wtf he was doing, Lynch bailing, Tee and Dee, the miserable FSU meltdown last year … etc etc

NOW it’s all coming together and his biggest problem is figuring out which 4 star recruits the tell “no thanks”. He has the oppty in the next several years to be in the conversation with Knute, Leahy, Ara and Lou and I’d guess he LOVES that.

There ain’t no way he’s leaving anytime soon.

• jsrnd1 - Jan 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Could you provide any concrete evidence of this…also there is no place here for grade school name calling. I in no way offended you with the “smarty pants” comment. If I did, maybe you should grow up a bit.

• kansasirish - Jan 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Brian Kelly Attracting Attention from NFL
        via ProFootballTalk.com

There’s more information for you besides the other 2 outlets I already listed and its even been on NBC sports.com. I was have joking until you piped off about reading articles before you post. Hello pot my name is kettle ;)

8. ajw21 - Jan 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Florida losing has nothing to do with Irish/Bama. Is the SEC overated? Probably but Bama is the 2nd best team in the country but you dont get the crystal ball for 2nd place! Is it Monday yet?
    Go Irish!

9. bb90grad - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Agree that Florida is not Bama. Some of us who live in the SE just get tired of the blanket of SEC arrogance that covers our area. Some of the biggest mouths have never set foot within 100 miles of Tuscaloosa or Gainesville in their lives.

Local paper said it best, quoting ND DE Scott Zetek from the 1980 win: “Alabama has a class team, but I’m a little suspect of their fans. I don’t want to detract from the game, but their fans are a little to be desired. They lose sight that it was just a football game. No one died today. This was a shut-up game for their fans and should keep them quiet.”

Useless numbers:
    Combined ND opponent records: 83-62 (including PAC12 title, without 82-62)
    Combined Bama opponent records: 81-75 (including SEC title, without 70-73)
    ND opponents in bowl games (9): 3-4 so far
    Bama opponents in bowl games (7): 1-4 so far

10. docomer79 - Jan 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Actually on The Dan Patrick Show today they said Brian was a better pro option than Chip.

• nudeman - Jan 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Heartening I’m sure for BK to know that.
      But next year he’ll be coaching the Irish. And the year after that too.

• dickasman - Jan 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I have to disagree. I’m not saying that because I don’t want him to leave. NFL is no picnic, that red lobster face sht just don’t work, ask mike dicka. I don’t see how any GM’s could pop boners over Irish season. NFL is offensive passing league now.

11. kansasirish - Jan 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I totally agree his isn’t going anywhere for awhile. DP just said that he thought BK would be getting some intrest from the NFL and the same thing was mentioned during a segment on The Mother Ship.

12. irish4006 - Jan 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Well, a few more successful years (at least 2 more) and those rumors will have some meat *only if* he has any interest in NFL. He has been a college coach all his life, this is what he knows. He may have something special going on here, it will be a big risk to just leave a job like this and bolt for NFL; realistically speaking. At this point, he can only get a sucky team where the coach just got fired; I would not be looking for a fresh in those circumstances when I may have just uncovered the tip of an iceberg. It may take years before he can make a name for himself in the NFL.

13. papadec - Jan 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM

It seems to me that John Clayton started this BK to the NFL bullshit rumor, the other day, when he showed a picture of BK (no BK interview/comment) – just a picture, and John made a comment that BK would be a desirable candidate to NFL teams. Just John trying to make a story – and look at what he has wrought, dissension in our ranks. Freakin’ espn playing mind games with the ND players and/or faithful.

14. 4horsemenrideagain - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM

So many helmet to helmet hits in last night’s game that I thought someone was going to get killed. Elam is a jock but such a cheap shot artist, not unlike the cheap shots Alonzo laid on klein tonight. A helmet to helmet hit when Klein is stopped and tied up then comes through and throws a forearm that misses. Man, I love hard play but this is hard, it’s just dirty, cheap sh!t.

I can hear the chorus of “oh you are soft, it’s a man’s game…” But helmet to helmet hits are becoming as bad in college as the nfl and the officials are gutless or are told not to enforce the rules.

Anyway, francesa was spouting off about how bk didn’t come out right away and deny/shut down the nfl talk. Bk has bigger fish to fry right now so I am not sure he needs to do that. Just another reason to hat francesa.

15. badgerbuck - Jan 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Win or lose sure loos like a great venue In Miami