Live blog — Notre Dame vs. Alabama

Jan 7, 2013, 7:57 PM EST

Discover BCS National Championship - Notre Dame v Alabama Getty Images

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla.  — It’s finally time.

With thousands of fans in the stadium and thousands more outside Sun Life Stadium looking for tickets, it’s time to play for the national championship. After opening the season in Dublin, concluding the regular season on the West Coast, the Irish now take to South Florida for the biggest game of the year.

As we have all year, we’re hosting the live blog here. Joined by our friends at the Observer, sit down with a few thousand of your best friends for a communal chat, as we watch to see if Notre Dame has what it takes to beat the defending national champions.

It’s going to be a long and exciting night, so let’s keep it clean, have some fun, and chat our way through the BCS National Championship.

***

104 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. NotreDan - Jan 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I’ll be up all night. Probably get banned.

2. dretwann - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Yesterday I saw my Skins lose a heart breaker for the DC area. I then had the displeasure of watching the fans of DC resort to poor loser antics and start the nasty and unnecessary characterizations of Seattle fans and players. Then I see this here from ND fans letting emotions get the better of them. Or are we seeing the true character of ND? I am reading racist remarks that are unnecessary and mean spirited. I wonder ND, how does that jive with Catholic principles? Or do you just put those away when it is convenient and pick them up later? Congrats Tide.

3. goirishgo - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Congratulations to Bama. Took us to the woodshed big time.

Can’t wait for 2013 though…..Go Irish!

4. NotreDan - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM

F bama. Buncha pink neck leeches.

5. NotreDan - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM

lol @ catholic principles. How does being a giant sucking leech of a redneck state square with ur ‘mericun gun luvin values?

Like I said… banned soon. Speaking truth to bama homers makes ‘emur shut their smelly yaps

6. padomer - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Wowwww….after reading these comments it prompted me to post for the first time. I’ve long been a fan of Keith’s articles and enjoyed the corresponding commentary. After tuning into the website and reading some of the posts that have been published I’m shocked. Alabama did dominate and Notre Dame was unfortunately, clearly outclassed. The same, however, cannot be said about the Alabama fans in this blog. To use the tragic death of a 20 year old kid as celebratory “smack talk” is as Alabama as it gets. The state gets the reputation of being inbred, illiterate, academically challenged and the undisputed U.S. leader in teenage pregnancy…and these posts only prove the case. Instead of celebrating your favorite teams solidified dynasty you come to a Notre Dame website and celebrate the death of a college student and bash the Catholic faith. So to all you ‘bama fans go out n grab your six pack of busch on the government’s dollar, maybe some crystal, sing some dixie and burn some crosses…you earned it.

• gitarstar8 - Jan 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

This is my first post, although I read them often…not being a Notre Dame fan for my own reasons, I can say that this season was good to all of you that are. 12 wins in Div. I is quite an accomplishment in any year…for any team…and gives it’s fans a heck of a ride to enjoy….defeat is almost impossible to swallow no matter who you root for, and every year everyone who is a fan can argue the “wishes” and “ifs”…that’s the best thing about any season, and for all but one team’s fans (THE BCS Winner’s fans) are disappointed and sometimes desperately looking for a scapegoat. Truth is, no matter what team you are talking about, or what coach you feel has “botched it”, there is always next year. I happen to be a Texan with ties to both UT and A&M, and through the years have enjoyed and lived through many years of “end of season contentment” and “end of year frustration”, but whether it’s the first, or the last, I still look forward to the next season and fret or anticipation, looking for any glow of optimism I can latch onto…as far as second guessing coaches, I am probably the worst at times, but sometimes I bring myself back to reality with Coach Mac Brown’s statement, “we never go out to lose a game, but sometimes stuff happens!”…wise words, and some that ND’s fans can take home with them. Personally, I didn’t give the Irish much of a chance, but can relate to your pain and understand your reasons for the confused feelings a loss like this brings after a 12 win season…Hold your heads up….the 2014 race to the BCS Bowl has already started…Maybe you will meet our Aggies or Horns next year in the Championship, and someone is till going to walk away disappointed, but I bet will start the next season in the same school colors you wear every year. Don’t take it too hard, or too personal, your team made it this year while so many more wish they were there for that game instead. Win or lose, the boys who suited up in that game should all be proud…only one team can win…that’s why they play a Championship in the first place. A couple of years ago, I saw my Horns lose a QB (McCoy) against the Tide which ended our Championship Chances…but I still put on Burnt orange in August with great anticipation..(That didn’t work out too well either, but that was another blog entirely…)..Irish, hold your heads up!…The Crimson Tide is always formidable, but they have to continue to line up every year, and every new year brings a new day, and a fresh start. So, as an outsider, I have to say, Roll Tide, Roll!…and Keep up the Fight, Irish!..but “Hook ‘em”, and “Gig ‘em” will be heard just as much in the years to come.

7. mpkennedy3 - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM

After watching the postgame comments by the nd boys, very classy. Gave it up to Alabama, who kicked their ass, and said they will remember this feeling…….

8. NotreDan - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM

See if we can pay Mexico to take texass loserana misiskipme alablowme and floridame.

9. elwaysmilehighdenver - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Notredan…or should I say note to dan.
    You’re a bigger loser than ND tonight.
    Pious ranting racist. How sad.

10. padomer - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:14 AM

That said, we need not stoop to their level, what case can we make. We were dominated on all fronts, and we’re not quite “there” yet. Bama’s football team is great, hats off to the young men. However, I do think we came out flat (the layoff?), some early miscalls were crucial (Eifert’s catch/non-catch), and little things that will be forgotten throughout the course of the game (i.e. third down miscues on both sides of the ball etc.).
    All in all when you lose this badly it sounds silly bringing those points up as excuses, as we did show no signs of life on defense whatsoever. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t think Alabama is 28 points better than ND. Credit Saban and the skill/experience of Bama football. As sour of a feeling tonight was, it beats the heck out of a champs bowl, sun bowl, christmas eve bowl etc. The trajectory of the program is pointing upward. Lotta youth at key positions and a general lacking of a “difference maker.” Let’s hope Irishmob13 is for real, and deep…because that has been the biggest problem with recent recruiting classes, top heavy without key contributors top to bottom.

11. thefiesty1 - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:16 AM

What a laughing stock. Had no business in the NC game. Weak schedule other than OK and barely beat the others. When you play Purdue, Michigan State, Navy, Pitt (double OT barely) and Stanford (barely win) how do you expect to stay on the field against a Alabama team? And, oh, they tackle like Texas defense (poorly).

• mpkennedy3 - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

True, they were outclassed tonight, but who else in the country won all their games….no one. they deserved the NC game, but once they got their, they got their ass whopping. ND might not have crushed all of their opposition this year, but they didnt play any softies either. closest was Bc who still is a D1 school in a major conference.

• kidmarc - Jan 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM

“…but who else in the country won all their games….no one.”

Ohio State — 12:0

This isn’t about perfect records. This is about the level of play; team caliber. Had ND won… enough said. ND loses… it becomes a question of how — close or blow-out? Close… the team deserves to be there. Blowout… well… that says… [or he said] it all.

Peace

12. NotreDan - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I’ll take pious, if you take handytard. Deal?

• sadist76 - Jan 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM

whats the matter little dan? you mad bro?

you are the one who sounds Fascist and rascist.
      I bet you were mad when ty willingham wasn’t fired after a single season werent you?

The Truth of the matter is Notre Dame’s fan base consists predominantly of fans who couldn’t get into Notre Dame and have no idea where South Bend is on a map.

don’t worry danny boy we will get nick saban to sign the notre dame fans football for him it would look better next to lou holtz and Ara Parseghian then brian kelly ….

13. dretwann - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Yesterday I saw my Skins lose a heart breaker for the DC area. I then had the displeasure of watching the fans of DC resort to poor loser antics and start the nasty and unnecessary characterizations of Seattle fans and players. Then I see this here from ND fans letting emotions get the better of them. Or are we seeing the true character of ND? I am reading biased remarks that are unnecessary and mean spirited. I wonder ND, how does that jive with Catholic principles? Or do you just put those away when it is convenient and pick them up later? Congrats Tide.