Jan 10, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
In a recruitment that saw more than its share of twists and turns, Alex Anzalone has pulled another one at the eleventh hour — he’s pulling his commitment from Notre Dame and enrolling early at Florida.
After being committed to Urban Meyer at Ohio State, Anzalone pledged to the Irish a few weeks later. That commitment turned once again when Florida — his childhood favorite, and his father’s alma mater — took over the lead for the talented linebacker’s services, only to have Notre Dame reestablish its non-binding hold on Anzalone. Set to enroll early next week to start the spring semester at Notre Dame, Anzalone reportedly let both Notre Dame and Florida’s staff that he’d be starting school next week in Gainesville.
We’ll never know whether or not Anzalone was on the edge before Kelly’s name started being connected to the Philadephia Eagles late Wednesday. But if there was one recruit that wasn’t closed until he signed on the dotted line or enrolled in school, it was Anzalone. And for those apoplectic Irish fans cursing the heavens right now, it’s bears mentioning that the Irish were the beneficiary of a last minute defection when quarterback Gunner Kiel never arrived at LSU, instead deciding to enroll at Notre Dame.
Anzalone was set to arrive at Notre Dame on Saturday, but instead will take the trip to Gainesville. (Or at least that’s the plan now.) And with that, a spot in Notre Dame’s recruiting class opens up.
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 31
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 103
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 171
- ESPN Report: Golson plans to transfer 18