Senior Bowl great reward for Cave

Jan 16, 2013, 3:24 PM EST

Getty Images - Jonathan Daniel Getty Images

Braxston Cave received a big invitation, accepting the opportunity to play at the Senior Bowl, the premiere All-Star competition for graduating college football players heading to the NFL. The local Granger product will head to Mobile, Alabama, taking part in practices with representatives from every NFL team in attendance, before playing in the game on January 26.

The invitation is validation after a great career for the Irish, starting for three seasons at center under Brian Kelly after being recruited to Notre Dame by Charlie Weis. Always a physically strong player, Cave made great strides with his athleticism, a trait that’ll be fully tested in Mobile.

Cave’s development followed a path we’ll likely see more and more with the Irish as Kelly and his staff build depth along the offensive front. After seeing time as a true freshman snapper, an injury saved a year of eligibility. From there, Cave battled to fight his way into the lineup after a year spent mostly on special teams, an opportunity that came along with an injury to fifth-year senior Dan Wenger.

Once Cave was in the starting lineup, only injury could hold him out. Yet the time missed by Cave allowed the Irish to develop Mike Golic, who filled in admirably at center and shifted to right guard for his fifth season.

Cave’s departure will highlight one of the spring’s biggest holes on the Irish roster. And with injuries and a lack of depth clouding the situation along the offensive line, identifying who will fill Cave’s sizable shoes is one of the key position battles worth following.

Notre Dame has developed some decent depth on the interior of their front line, with guys like Nick Martin, Conor Hanratty, Matt Hegarty, Bruce Heggie and Mark Harrell all waiting in the wings. Yet none of those guys have played significant minutes (to be kind), and finding a center that can work into a line that’ll also need to find a right guard should be an interesting exercise.

112 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. italianirish - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I’d love to get the blogosphere’s thoughts on this one.

• andy44teg - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM

If any word of that story is true, that kid’s life is FU@%&D! Could you imagine..” hey..there’s the loser that made up a girlfriend and then killed her off!” It’s like on Napoleon Dynamite ( another reference!) when he gets the “glamour shot” photo of that chick and says it’s his g/f, but she lives in another town. Good gawd, are there no heroes left??? I might be like the NRA guy who cut up his membership card on youtube and do the same with my #5 jersey……I just hope to God it’s not true for Manti’s sake. He’ll never be able to escape this masacre.

• ndirish10 - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I am hopeful that he wasn’t in on it. As for cutting up the jersey, why would you? 1. Te’o may have truly been a victim of this elaborate hoax, 2. (hypothetically) if he isn’t a victim (which would be disgusting!!!) you could say that EG is your favorite player. Until the “the proper authorities [finish] investigating [this] very cruel deception,” I will continue to view Manti as an inspirational figure and great role model. Go Irish!!!

• ndirish10 - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Either way, just plain disgusting!!!

• italianirish - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:25 PM

The University’s official response on Facebook:

A statement from the University.
      Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
      University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

• llfreedman - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I CANNOT believe this blog hasn’t commented on the story yet…what does that say about this blog? I know they want to get their facts right of course- but to completely ignore the fact that the story is out there?

• italianirish - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:20 PM

llfreedman: this blog has never made any attempt to brand itself as breaking news. They don’t report on hearsay (though will occasionally acknowledge that it’s out there) and Keith doesn’t just regurgitate what other authors are already reporting on. I don’t think any regular readers here would expect any type of article on this news yet. Info is still coming out on this story and I’m sure there will be an interesting article on it here in the next day after ND’s press conference and the dust settles a little that takes an interesting perspective.

• dickasman - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Manti is a FOCKING fraud that scumbag frog eyed basturd!!! I bet he’s the one that rapped lizzy seebert! Motherfocker! He’s a FOCKING loser!

• chicagoirish23 - Jan 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM

dickasman – I can’t even understand why I’m replying to this hideous uninformed moronic comment. Are you 15 years old? Do you like being an Internet troll? Is your entire purpose in life to say the stupidest comment possible on message forums?

I pray that Keith has the ability to block user names. You can probably use a different one but as long as you can hide your ignorance under another name for a while I can probably tolerate the awful comments that come from our fingers. If this is what your hands can do I don’t even want to begin to imagine what your head and mouth produce.

I can now only wish that you are ‘catfishing’ Keith Arnold and some day you will make a post that you died in a car accident and never post again. That’s too wishful thinking on my part though.

I know you are a troll. You are not an ND fan. You are just commenting on this board to get this response out of the decent people posting here. So I’ll end this w/ two things, troll all you want I’ll never respond to one of your asinine post again and STOP DISGRACING THE LIFE AND TRAGIC DEATH OF LIZZY SEEBURG FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL ENJOYMENT YOU F’N A HOLE!

Still faithful, still strong…
        Go Irish!

2. sdemp - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM

This would be one of the stupidest things anyone could ever do, let alone someone in his shoes.

As a ND fan and obviously Te’o fan this makes no sense that he would make this up given that his grandmother had already passed. With that said, this would be devastating to his image.

Go Irish!!!

3. bernhtp - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Prediction: Parker and Stone are working on a South Park episode on this as we speak. This is really the most bizarre story I’ve heard. Embarrassing the say the least.

4. kiopta1 - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I don’t know weather to feel broken hearted for Teo or extremely pissed at him and others.

• dickasman - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I think we should ALL collectively Piss ON him! FOCK that rapist! What a dildo, seriously. He fooled us all but….what a FOCKING weirdo.

5. kiopta1 - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Damn iPad typo.

6. ajw21 - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM

So if this was a hoax and Teo didnt know about it, he never talked or saw this person he called his gf? I don’t think this ends well.
    Go Irish!

• dickasman - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Cocksucker was in on this…him and tuisosopo. FOCKING scumbags! I don’t think I could ever forgive this ahole even if he comes clean. Scuzballs!

7. andy44teg - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I feel violated….

8. bernhtp - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM

It’s totally implausible that any hoax was perpetrated on him rather than by him. When you think about it – no pictures of them together, no words from her family, no testimonials from classmates/friends from Stanford, no video of the funeral, etc. – you have this duh moment. We all got caught up in the story and lowered our skeptical antennae. Wow, just wow!

Maybe the angel Moroni will make another appearance and have something to say about this.

9. bernhtp - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I think it’s time for a two-year mission to Uganda.

So, who else knew about this? Toma? His family? Anyone else?

• dickasman - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Send his gay @$$ to Afghanistan. Unbelievable…exactly why world is so focked up today. This guys suppose to be a virgin gay Mormon? Moron maybe….unreal, just unreal. All that gay a$$ $hit we did for him w leis, etc…unbelievable!!! I wish this guy would just go away. How embarrassing.

• ndirish10 - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM

There are times many of us wished the same of you. Just chill till it’s all investigated, then throw your bricks at him if it is found that he was in on it.

• 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM

how do I find you? I really would enjoy you seeing me than me beating the crap outta ya!! JK…LOL but imo your no fan that I will ever read a post from again in my lifetime+1

10. 9irish - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Man…after the past 10 days, I’m not sure how many wheels are left to go flying off of this bus.

This, if true, is beyond bizarre.

11. mikes1160 - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM

This doesn’t pass the smell test..

• bernhtp - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM

It doesn’t even pass the puke test. This will make Notre Dame a laughing stock for years to come. Given that the University says they were notified in late Dec, I can’t imagine why they didn’t get ahead of this story.

• dickasman - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Unreal berno, unfocking real….and you spent all that money attending games. Thank god I didn’t waste a penny on this ashole!

12. 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Manti Teo needs prayers love and everything in the world that could possibly be givin to him!!!! This whole situation is probably the sickest shit I’ve ever heard of!!! Kill a man, don’t kill his soul!!

• dickasman - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Manti teo needs a baseball bat to his head is what he needs and handcuffs around his wrists for raping Lizzie. Can we go after him now that he embarrassed da sht outta us?

• ndirish10 - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM

hey dick…

All you have to do is look up the victim’s name and read the many blogs that have allegedly named one ND player (not to say that this is factual because university and police officials never named him). You can also read accounts of what actually happened. Not one mention of Te’o. If I read correctly, the incident was investigated as an assault, not rape. Story goes, female was giving athlete lap dance, both began to get into it, kissing, then athlete began to grope upper region (chest), athlete got a call, threw her off, then said that he could get in trouble, victim left. Later texted her therapist, and a friend. Went to the police, which conducted a test for saliva around her chest area. Received the menacing texts from athlete’s friends. Seems victim had prior issues, seeing a therapist and taking pills and whole situation must have been too much for her.

dick, give it a rest with the accusations!!!

• 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I really wish you didn’t exist! and that Manti could stand about 5 yds out and hit you like He feels right now… ;)

• ndirish10 - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Also, if you want to continue to throw the young lady’s name out at least get it right, it’s Lizzy Seeberg. Idiot.

• 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Us? how bout I

13. mmanor01 - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I can’t believe so many people on this board automatically think Te’o is guilty. There are sick people out there, but Te’o isn’t one of them. Take a step back for a second and think about it. Why would he make this up, especially the idea that she died a few hours after his grandmother? If he was looking for publicity, he already had it.

Also, why would Te’o send fake tweets for over a year to this girl if it was a joke? I am sure he thought, “I will create a fake girlfriend for over a year, then kill her off to gain publicity once I get the team 4-0 on our way to a BCS NC run.” Only an idiot would think that this would help you gain publicity and Te’o is definitely not an idiot. He got manipulated plain and simple.

I believe in Te’o and he will need all of our support as people begin to dump all over him.

• 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM

EXACTly

• 9irish - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I think there is a legitimate possibility of naivete being a major factor. The first reports were of his “friend” dying, then it became his “girlfriend”, which made me raise my brow. I got the feeling this wasn’t someone he was screwing. I’m not aware of his social past, but I have a feeling it’s not that of your typical college student. A lot of people fall in love with mirages on the phone or the internet.

But why did “they” kill her off, though?

I don’t know. Just so weird. And we’ll see

• bernhtp - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Not counting Penhouse Letters, how many girlfriends have you had, called every night for hours, etc. that never existed? When I think about the situation, only one explanation makes sense, and that one is weird beyond words.

• alsatiannd - Jan 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I have friends that met on the internet and didn’t see each other in person until they had already fallen in love. Their married with a 6 year old son now. Sometimes you can make an emotional connection without a face.

14. txirish2 - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM

About seven years ago, right after I graduated from undergraduate, I moved out of state for a year. Right after I moved I was contacted on myspace by a girl who was from the city I just moved away from. I talked to her on the phone. She looked pretty attractive in her photographs and I thought I may move back to Texas someday so I continued talking to her. Eventually she told me she had ovarian cancer. I felt bad for her. She told me that I was the only person who she could talk to about it. It drained me emotionally but I felt guilty to not give her what she wanted. The phone calls became more frequent. She told me in detail all about her treatments. I would research online about her illness, and everything made sense. I literally wept several times because I really believed she was going to die. I told a few friends about her. After about a year, right as I was moving back to Texas and planning on finally meeting her, a friend of mine called me on the phone and told me that a girl he and I both knew actually knew the girl I was talking to, but all of her pictures were fake, and that she didn’t have cancer. Weirdly the girl I was talking to was friends with the second girl, and she heard the girl I was talking to say my name, and asked my friend about it. Needless to say I felt embarrassed, used, and like a complete fool. I can only imagine how I would feel if I was a famous figure and the entire situation was publicized.

Manti may have embellished some details about the story in order to avoid explaining he had never met the girl, but it’s not hard for me to believe he was duped. I feel bad for him, and I think he was taken advantage of. He is learning an extremely harsh lesson on honesty, and having something that started out innocently completely turn on him. God Bless you Manti! Rely on your faith and your family, and don’t give up trying to do the right thing!

• papadec - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM

txirish2 – thanks for sharing – that took guts on your part. We’ve all made serious mistakes.

15. glorygreyhound1 - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM

This story makes no sense. I don’t see the benefit to either the pranksters or Teo. Color me confused.

• 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Prankster+100

16. nudeman - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I am afraid this story is going to get a lot worse
    For ND

• ndirish10 - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I agree. He had said that he would speak to her at night before her “death” and pray, right? That they always talked on the phone. This has to be A factor, along with Bama playing on all cylinders, on his play during the NCG.

• 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Never was it said that he talked on the phone or met in person! I’m sure he wasn’t absolutely happy about his sitz but allot of you are already acting like you were never young and naive at some point in your life!!!

• ndirish10 - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

1notredamefan,

This was written in September, “SI’s Pete Thamel described how Te’o would phone her in her hospital room and stay on the line with her as he slept through the night. “Her relatives told him that at her lowest points, as she fought to emerge from a coma, her breathing rate would increase at the sound of his voice,” Thamel wrote.”

• nudeman - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I saw an interview where he very definitely said he used to talk with her EVERY NIGHT; they’d fall asleep together on the phone when she was in the hosp and he would wake up in the a.m. with the connection still live.

I also think I saw something where either Manti or his brother said they’d gotten together in Hawaii.

This looks bad. If it’s just Manti foisting this on ND, fans, students and the ND circus, he needs to fall on his sword and get it over with. My big fear is that ND’s answer to the “what did you know and when dod you know it?” question won’t be a good one.

• ndirish10 - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Then there is this: (from Deadspin)

Nov. 28, 2009: Te’o and Kekua meet after Stanford’s 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto, according to the South Bend Tribune: “Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te’o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes.” Kekua, a Stanford student, swaps phone numbers with Te’o.

2010-2011: Te’o and Kekua are friends. “She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them” (South Bend Tribune). “They started out as just friends,” Te’o’s father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. “Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there.”

Early 2012: Te’o and Kekua become a couple. They talk on the phone nightly, according to ESPN.

Actually just read the following article:

gives more detail than ESPN.

• bernhtp - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Given that Notre Dame knew that there was something rotten in Denmark, Hawaii, Stanford, wherever on Dec 26, why didn’t they get out in front of the story instead of it breaking all over the place weeks later?

I’ll eventually learn the story and the timeline from friends, but am scratching my head in the meantime.

17. 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

The seven emotional stages of grief are shock or disbelief, denial, bargaining, guilt, anger, depression, and acceptance/hope.

Denial is where he was probably at when he found out the truth. Let’s hope anger is where he stays about this for a long time…and woops that NFL ass!

18. heisenbyrg - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I feel worse about this than I did about the game the morning after. There is NO WAY Manti was duped. He had to have been in on this sh*t. Agree with nudeman. This could get very bad.

19. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Still waiting for the “journalists” one this blog to post the Te’o story. Or do you lack integrity too?

• 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

yea your post looks like you did it with your mom yelling that dinner’s ready tooo… takes time to research! time in which it’s obvious most don’t take to form an informative opinion!~

20. 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

ND fake fans on the 1 yd line……Manti at the 5 yd line….. 1 min. left to play and he has to tackle every one of you before you completely desicrate his image as a young man…. LOVE to pay to watch!

• dickasman - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I’d grab him by is uncircumcised foreskin with my fingers and break his iPhone, delete his Facebook, fockbook, adultfriendfinder and EROS accounts and toss him back to his gay asss rainbow island. Then I’d punch myself and sue da dock outta him.

Sounds good?

21. ajw21 - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Apparently this “hoax” was by a guy. If Manti wasn’t in on it(have my doubts about that right now) who the heck was he talking to. This isn’t somone making a fake profile with fake pics, this is a profile of someone who doesn’t exist. This will get bad.
    Go Irish!

22. heisenbyrg - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I mean, WHAT IN THE SERIOUS FUCK IS GOING ON??? He talked about having all-night conversations with her, talked about the impact she had on his life, what an amazing person she was, etc. Hell, he said her favorite color was white! At absolute 100% best, he was naive and was duped by losers. At worst, he’s complicit in a super-duper stupid, pointless unforgivable hoax, and is an embarrassment to the university.

I would have preferred 0-11 than reading that deadspin article. Fuck.

• nudeman - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Yes, WTF is going on?
      This does NOT add up. And the coverup is … well, it will be interesting to see how long it’s been in gear.

23. ajw21 - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

In his statement after this came out he said he developed a relationship with this person through social media & the telephone so yes he did state he talked to her.

• 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM

and ya don’t think this would have been covered in the supposed cover up?

24. acieu - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Read the TMZ article twice. Seems bizarre whatever is the real story. I then Immediately came to Inside the Irish to see that no story posted? That seems almost as strange as the story itself.

• 1notredamefan - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM

25. heisenbyrg - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:02 PM

For the idiots complaining that Keith hasn’t written about this: shut up. Swarbrick is having a press conference now, and we’re still waiting for details. We’re idiot commenters on a blog; Keith can’t post a gut response to this. I’m sure Keith is waiting to hear what the AD says and needs time to compose a measured response.

• dickasman - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Yeah because Keith and Jack will tell us all the juicy details. Jack is going to lie his asss off. He knows this could be more damaging than lizzy rape