Feb 6, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Notre Dame’s offensive line class continues to grow. Chicagoland prospect Colin McGovern made things official this morning by faxing in his letter-of-intent. Let’s take a look at what the Irish are getting.
New Lenox, Illinois
Measureables: 6-foot-6, 290-pounds
Accolades: First-team All-State 5A. First-team All-State, Chicago Tribune. First-team All-Area, Chicago Sun Times. Four star recruit, 247, ESPN. Under Armour All-American. Didn’t allow a sack junior or senior season.
Impressive offers: Alabama, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin
Projected position: Offensive Guard
Quick take: A torn PCL and meniscus in his knee won’t likely sidetrack McGovern, who is slated to redshirt this season as he grows into his frame. Played tackle in high school, but will slide inside at Notre Dame. Similar to another Chicagoland product, Chris Watt, and plays a similar physical style of football.
Athletic kid who starred in one of Chicago’s premiere football leagues. A good get for Harry Hiestand and company as they protect their pipeline into Illinois.
What it means for the Irish roster: McGovern’s signing — along with the additions of John Montelus and Hunter Bivin — show the commitment to the interior of the Irish offensive line. When Notre Dame originally targeted their five recruiting commitments, many wondered why they were looking at five tackles. It now looks like Notre Dame has three interior targets and two tackles, Steve Elmer and Mike McGlinchey.
Obligatory YouTube highlight tape: Here are some highlights from McGovern’s junior season.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (128)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (91)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)