Feb 6, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Notre Dame’s offensive line class continues to grow. Chicagoland prospect Colin McGovern made things official this morning by faxing in his letter-of-intent. Let’s take a look at what the Irish are getting.
New Lenox, Illinois
Measureables: 6-foot-6, 290-pounds
Accolades: First-team All-State 5A. First-team All-State, Chicago Tribune. First-team All-Area, Chicago Sun Times. Four star recruit, 247, ESPN. Under Armour All-American. Didn’t allow a sack junior or senior season.
Impressive offers: Alabama, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin
Projected position: Offensive Guard
Quick take: A torn PCL and meniscus in his knee won’t likely sidetrack McGovern, who is slated to redshirt this season as he grows into his frame. Played tackle in high school, but will slide inside at Notre Dame. Similar to another Chicagoland product, Chris Watt, and plays a similar physical style of football.
Athletic kid who starred in one of Chicago’s premiere football leagues. A good get for Harry Hiestand and company as they protect their pipeline into Illinois.
What it means for the Irish roster: McGovern’s signing — along with the additions of John Montelus and Hunter Bivin — show the commitment to the interior of the Irish offensive line. When Notre Dame originally targeted their five recruiting commitments, many wondered why they were looking at five tackles. It now looks like Notre Dame has three interior targets and two tackles, Steve Elmer and Mike McGlinchey.
Obligatory YouTube highlight tape: Here are some highlights from McGovern’s junior season.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 52
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 105
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172