Feb 6, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
The Irish added another key piece to the secondary with the fax arriving from Washington D.C.’s Devin Butler. While we’ll give you the particulars of Butler, here’s a great piece written by the South Bend Tribune’s Tyler James on Butler that’s worth giving a look.
Measureables: 6-foot-1, 179-pounds
Accolades: First-team All-Metro, Washington Post. First-team Washington Catholic All-Conference. Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl. Four-star, 247. Chesapeake Bowl All-Star game. USA Football U-19 team.
Impressive Offers: Georgia Tech, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Carolina, Penn State, Wisconsin
Projected Position: Boundary Cornerback
Quick Take: A profile recruit for Notre Dame, Butler has the size the Irish coaching staff covets. Ball skills come from a good offensive background. Very good player on a good team in a competitive league. Has the swagger needed to be a good cornerback.
Coaching staff feels like they are getting a player with his best football ahead of him. Developmental prospect that was an early building block in the recruiting class. Game tape showed an ability to be around the football and strong ball destruction skills. Has a chance to make an impact on special teams as well.
What it means for the Irish roster: Butler might not be the highest profile player the Irish are recruiting, but he’s got a good offer list and he projects well in the system. Whether he’s a guy that has things click for him early like KeiVarae Russell or needs a little time like Jalen Brown remains to be seen. With depth still not great at cornerback, bringing in a guy that fits the size profile and the athletic requirements makes sense.
Obligatory YouTube highlight tape: Here’s a clip package from Butler’s senior season at Gonzaga Prep.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (130)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (93)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)