Feb 6, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
The tight end depth chart received another infusion when one-time Texas Longhorns commit Durham Smythe sent a fax to The Gug this morning. Let’s take a look at what the Irish got.
Measureables: 6-foot-5, 230-pounds
Accolades: Top 50 on Waco Tribune-Herald. Two-time first-team Texas District 8 5A. All-State Academic. three-star prospect Rivals, 247, and ESPN.
Impressive offers: Texas, Florida, Georgia, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon, Stanford
Projected position: Tight end
Quick take: Notre Dame needed to add depth at tight end after skipping the position last year. Adding Smythe, a one-time Texas commit and a big body that can run and block, was a nice get, especially late in the recruiting process. He’s a smooth receiver that catches the ball with ease but also isn’t afraid to play in the trenches.
His star rating doesn’t equate to the elite offers Smythe holds. A great addition to the recruiting class and for an offense that needs to replace All-American Tyler Eifert.
What it means for the Irish roster: Stability. Adding two tight ends cushions the blow of losing Eifert and back-up Jake Golic from a numbers perspective. The more the Irish coaching staff saw Smythe the better they liked him.
Obligatory YouTube highlight tape: Here’s a look at Smythe’s junior highlights.
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional