Feb 6, 2013, 10:16 AM EDT
Lost in the flurry of action this morning, Brian Kelly accepted the signature of a recruit from his hometown of Everett, Massachusetts. Let’s see what the Irish are getting in blue-chipper John Montelus.
Measureables: 6-foot-5, 314-pounds
Accolades: First-team All State, Massachusetts Football Coaches Association. Four-star Rivals, 247
Impressive offers: LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State
Projected position: Center/Guard
Quick Take: A pure power prospect, Montelus looks the part of a true road-grader. He’s not the 6-5 that’s currently being listed, but even at 6-3 or 6-4, he’s got plenty of size to play on the inside. A true rugged offensive lineman that needs to get up to speed with the college game, Montelus has plenty of physical ability once he masters the transition.
Another elite prospect along the offensive line and the top player in the state of Massachusetts. In many years, he’d be the signature offensive line prospect in a class.
What it means for the Irish roster: As just mentioned in Colin McGovern’s write-up, Notre Dame solidified the interior of its offensive line with the addition of Montelus, McGovern and Bivin. While Bivin’s position is still in flux, Montelus should find a home rather quickly. With open jobs at guard and center, and Chris Watt in his final year of eligibility, there’s going to be plenty of opportunities on the inside of the Irish offensive line.
Obligatory YouTube highlight tape: Here’s a look at the senior highlights from Montelus. He looks like a man among boys in many of these clips.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 0
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 104
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172