Feb 6, 2013, 7:12 AM EDT
Just a few minutes after 7:00 a.m., Notre Dame has accepted a letter-of-intent from linebacker Michael Deeb. Let’s take a look at what the Irish are getting.
Measureables: 6-foot-2, 238-pounds.
Accolades: First-team linebacker Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel. First-team linebacker on Miami Herald All-Broward County 5A. Four-year starter at inside linebacker.
Impressive Offers: Boise State, Florida State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Mississippi State.
Projected Position: Inside linebacker.
Quick Take: There’s probably nobody in this recruiting class more ready to walk onto campus and contribute than Michael Deeb. A workout warrior, Deeb should find a spot on all four special teams units this fall, and he’s done nothing but improve since the Irish offered him a scholarship.
Some will point to limited athleticism, but Deeb played football at a very high level in Florida, and improved every facet of his game that the Irish coaching staff pinpointed for him. A downhill player that hits like a sledgehammer, Deeb’s ability to play both downhill and in pass coverage will likely dictate how successful his career is for the Irish. One thing is for sure, it won’t be for a lack of effort.
What it means for the Irish roster: A much needed infusion at the inside linebacker position. Deeb will likely apprentice behind the trio of Jarrett Grace, Dan Fox and Carlo Calabrese, with the latter two in their final year of eligibility. A high character recruit, Deeb eats, breathes and sleeps football.
Obligatory YouTube highlight tape: Here’s a look at Deeb playing the role of a bulldozer in his senior highlights.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (128)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (92)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)