Feb 6, 2013, 9:23 AM EDT
Notre Dame continues to refill their their offensive line coffers with the addition of Philadelphia’s Mike McGlinchey. Let’s dig into the monster offensive tackle that just faxed in his letter-of-intent.
Measureables: 6-foot-8, 285-pounds
Accolades: First-team All-State, Philadelphia Sports Writers AAA team. First-team All-Southeast Pennsylvania. First-team All-City by Philadelphia Daily News. Four-star recruit Rivals, 247, ESPN. Semper Fidelis All-American.
Impressive offers: Florida, Florida State, Iowa, Miami, Penn State, Wisconsin
Projected position: Right tackle
Quick Take: Perfect developmental right tackle. Massive body, good frame to add weight. Good athlete that also plays basketball and participates in track. Profiles perfect for what ND is looking for at the position. Cousin in former BC star and current Atlanta Falcon Matt Ryan.
What it means for the Irish roster: With an injury threatening the career of Tate Nichols, McGlinchey is the next big thing. Literally. At either 6-8 or 6-9, McGlinchey towers over the rest of the depth chart, and while size is no strict determiner of success, finding a guy that can be built into the player that Brian Kelly and Harry Hiestand are looking for at right tackle is half the battle.
Obligatory YouTube highlight tape: Here is a short look at some junior highlights from McGlinchey. (Kid needs a better publicist!)
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 128
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 30, Purdue 14 81
- Pregame Six Pack: An all Hoosiers Shamrock Series 39
- And in that corner… The Purdue Boilermakers 41
- Even after shutout, Irish hope best is yet to come for young D 69