Feb 6, 2013, 9:23 AM EDT
Notre Dame continues to refill their their offensive line coffers with the addition of Philadelphia’s Mike McGlinchey. Let’s dig into the monster offensive tackle that just faxed in his letter-of-intent.
Measureables: 6-foot-8, 285-pounds
Accolades: First-team All-State, Philadelphia Sports Writers AAA team. First-team All-Southeast Pennsylvania. First-team All-City by Philadelphia Daily News. Four-star recruit Rivals, 247, ESPN. Semper Fidelis All-American.
Impressive offers: Florida, Florida State, Iowa, Miami, Penn State, Wisconsin
Projected position: Right tackle
Quick Take: Perfect developmental right tackle. Massive body, good frame to add weight. Good athlete that also plays basketball and participates in track. Profiles perfect for what ND is looking for at the position. Cousin in former BC star and current Atlanta Falcon Matt Ryan.
What it means for the Irish roster: With an injury threatening the career of Tate Nichols, McGlinchey is the next big thing. Literally. At either 6-8 or 6-9, McGlinchey towers over the rest of the depth chart, and while size is no strict determiner of success, finding a guy that can be built into the player that Brian Kelly and Harry Hiestand are looking for at right tackle is half the battle.
Obligatory YouTube highlight tape: Here is a short look at some junior highlights from McGlinchey. (Kid needs a better publicist!)
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 52
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 105
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172