Feb 6, 2013, 9:19 AM EST
He’s only now taking his first steps after a freak injury in non-contact drills at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl broke Torii Hunter Jr.’s femur. But even as he recovers from the injury, Hunter’s faxed letter-of-intent to Notre Dame delivers the Irish another game breaking wide receiver option in the 2013 recruiting class.
Let’s take a closer look at another Irish signee with a pretty impressive father.
TORII HUNTER JR.
Measureables: 6-foot, 172-pounds
Accolades: Four-star prospect at Rivals, ESPN, 247 and Scout. MVP of The Opening. U.S. Army All-American. Also plans on playing for Notre Dame baseball team.
Impressive Offers: Arizona, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State.
Projected Position: Slot receiver.
Quick Take: Technically sound player that brings some explosiveness to the receiving corps. Not a physically stout kid even before the broken leg, so growing into the game will be important. Working in Hunter’s favor is his approach to the game. Plays like the son of a Big Leaguer, and closest thing in this recruiting class to a technician at wideout, with hands to match.
What it means for the Irish roster: How quickly Hunter recovers remains to be seen. With Robby Toma gone from the slot receiver position, there is no shortage of options to fill the spot, but none have taken their game to the forefront. Hunter is probably the most natural receiver of the options — with Davonte Neal, Amir Carlisle and James Onwualu all spending time at running back.
Obligatory YouTube highlight reel: Here’s a quick look at Hunter’s senior highlights.
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Pregame Six Pack: Send off at Stanford 43
- And in that corner… The Stanford Cardinal 54
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. BYU 45
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) (96)
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford (79)
- Friday notes: Additions, Bowls, Coaches and Departures (70)
- Notre Dame accepts bid to play in Pinstripe Bowl (68)
- Rumors swirl as Chuck Martin looks headed for Miami (OH) head job (29)