Slaughter denied sixth year

Feb 14, 2013, 11:34 AM EST

Jamoris Slaughter

Safety Jamoris Slaughter‘s career at Notre Dame has official come to an end. The NCAA denied Slaughter’s appeal to return to the Irish for a sixth season, the university announced in a statement.

The six-foot, 200-pound safety from Georgia, who has already earned his degree at Notre Dame in Industrial Design, will shift his focus to the upcoming NFL Scouting Combine, where he’s been invited to participate.

“I understood that a sixth year was far from a guarantee,” Slaughter said in a statement released by Notre Dame. “It is sad to know that my time at Notre Dame as a football player is complete, but it doesn’t lessen my love for this University and its football program. This decision simply begins the next chapter of my life and I’ll be forever grateful for my coaches, teammates and all the Irish fans that supported me throughout my career.”

Slaughter played in 39 games for the Irish, starting 19, including the three to start the 2012 season before he went down with a season-ending Achilles’ tendon injury against Michigan State. In 2008, Slaughter sat out his entire freshman season. While many assumed it was to preserve a year of eligibility, Slaughter reportedly tore his meniscus in a high school All-Star game before enrolling at Notre Dame, which hampered his early development.

Still, there wasn’t enough evidence for the NCAA to grant Slaughter an additional season.

“I appreciate the NCAA taking the time to thoroughly look into Jamoris’ application for a sixth year,” Irish head coach Brian Kelly said in the same statement. “Jamoris is a first-class young man and most importantly leaves Notre Dame with his degree. We wish him all the best as he now pursues his dream of playing in the NFL.”

The timing of the Slaughter announcement comes a few days later than the Irish probably would have liked. With Notre Dame hovering around the 85 man scholarship limit, finding out definitively before Signing Day would have been ideal. Never the less, it appears Notre Dame was preparing for the worst, and heading into spring the Irish will be at the 85-man limit with Tate Nichols‘ health still up in the air.

With Slaughter out of the picture, the safety depth chart is shaping up to be one of the more interesting spring positional races on the roster. Austin Collinsworth will return, ready to take a starting job that likely would have been his, not Matthias Farley‘s,  if he weren’t lost for the season with shoulder surgery. Nicky Baratti returns after impressing in limited time as a freshman. Elijah Shumate does as well, though he has ability to cross-train at cornerback. John Turner, CJ Prosise and Chris Badger all take off their redshirts as well. All before Max Redfield joins the roster this summer.

1. fnc111 - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM

That’s not good.

2. notredameirish1980 - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Too bad, Jamoris. Good luck and thanks for the years of dedication. This should be an interesting group to watch with the athletes coming back. Maybe we can have an all safety punt return team?

3. dudeacow - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Goodbye, Jamoris. Now on to the NFL to slaughter some more players. Just make sure you refrain from slaughtering yourself. That Purdue hit is still fresh in my mind.

4. bernhtp - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Apparently the NCAA wasn’t presented with sufficiently compelling evidence that his lack of play in the second half of his freshman year was involuntary (due to injury) for it to not count as a voluntary redshirt year. Had he instead done the Alabama thing – stolen from others and been incarcerated for the crimes – the NCAA would have deemed this involuntary and his later injury would have made him eligible for a sixth. This is the perverse nature of the rule (and ruling).

5. seanb20124 - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Good job NCAA you showed him who is boss

6. joeschu - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Tim Abromitis-ized by the NCAA. If these aren’t the kind of men we want in the game? Who does the NCAA want?

• papadec - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM

joe – check the bama & miami rosters. Deer spray, roids, assault all come to mind.

7. jgater1981 - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

@Joe, I think Bern mentioned the kind of guys the NCAA wants. What a load of crap.

8. dickasman - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Kids too small to be a safety. He can hit, natural hitter but an egghead. I think he could be solid run support corner while working on his coverage skills. I’d waste a 6th or 7th round pick on him why not.

9. cpfirish - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Well good luck Jamoris! Wish we could of had you back.. Well I will say this Farley hahahaha.. Yea.. Redfield will eat him up! And Austin will be a stud back there with redfield.!! Go Irish!!

10. nudeman - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I feel bad for Jamoris and he would have been a welcome returnee.
    But many are making this out to be worse than it really is. He was a “good but not great” player. I can’t really recall a huge highlight reel full of Jamoris’ big plays. Can anyone else?

Redfield, Collinsworth, Shumate, Baratti and Farley give them some good depth.

As for Jamoris, he’ll make an NFL roster and he has an ND diploma. I think we can hold off on a trip to the Grotto for him. Some of us have bigger life issues than him.

11. kozbee - Feb 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Reuben Foster asleep in class while at Auburn.Bama signie.

12. papadec - Feb 15, 2013 at 1:20 AM

koz – when I was a HS Senior, I had a 7:30 am Advanced English class. I nodded off more than once – Mrs Weil (I’ll never forget her & that was 1962) was deadly with a blackboard eraser, from anywhere in the room. She nailed me with that eraser every time. Rueben’s nap is not a big deal, in my book.

13. ravenseattheirownpoop - Feb 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM

U have to be from Penn State to be granted a 6th year

• gtizzo - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM

More like Houston Case Keenum was there QB for 7 seasons I think.