Eifert strengthens draft stock at Combine

Feb 24, 2013, 12:42 PM EST

Tyler Eifert

It’s been a very good weekend for Tyler Eifert. The former Irish tight end, the Mackey Award winner for 2012, took to Indianapolis this weekend to solidify his draft stock. He more than did that, putting on a show for NFL scouts as he proved himself superior physically to the other elite tight ends in the draft, stating his case very loudly for being a first round pick.

“I think the tight ends, the day has belonged to Tyler Eifert,” Mike Mayock said on the NFL Network.

At the top of the heap at the position is Eifert, Stanford’s Zach Ertz and San Diego State’s Gavin Escobar. All three were expected to put up impressive measureables, with the prevailing logic having Escobar and Ertz maybe a step or two better than the Irish All-American.

Yet Eifert put on an impressive display of athleticism to go along with his 6-foot-5½, 250-pound frame. He vertical leaped almost 36 inches, while repping 225-pounds 22 times. Apples-to-apples against Ertz, Eifert bested him almost everywhere, out running, jumping and shuttle-running the Stanford All-American in every drill but bench press, where Ertz did 24 reps. Even Eifert’s arms were longer, a peculiarity that somehow means quite a bit at an event like the NFL Scouting Combine.

“If you’re talking about a potential first-round draft pick amongst Eifert, Ertz and Escobar, I think (Eifert) had the best day from a measurable perspective,” Mayock said.

1. dickasman - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Well duhhh. What did you guys think about mantits interview? Didn’t hurt or help himself. Reminded me of snl comic skit the ambiguously gay duo. I was left very ambiguous.

• letafan4ever - Feb 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM

This is Eifert’s column!! Your comments say more about you than they do anyone else.

Eifert was great!! He was also supportive of Manti when asked.

• dickasman - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Hi my name is dick n I’m an ahole.

2. dickasman - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Liar liar pants on fire!!!

• 1historian - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:18 AM

very mature

3. dickasman - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM

The big question, will he run the 4.6 40? I dunno. I thought he’d show up more slender he looked kinda chubby to me. I predick 4.7

• rheffero - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

He ran a 4.65…Erzt 4.76

4. dudeacow - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I re-watched the Stanford game yesterday. Anyone who thinks that Ertz is better than Eifert is insane. The way he caught the touchdown pass was incredible. No one, even in the NFL, can guard against that.

• dickasman - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I don’t think anybody thinks that especially after yesterday but just to make sure, I will try my best to catfish him. Just for you dude.

5. ugetwutuask4 - Feb 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

dickasman u would be the only one interested in the combine if Manti is homo or not…nobody cares except u. HmmM.. #WONDER WHY?? #Manti looks chubby to u? Really?? u must really spend all ur time studying the mans physique!! those all seem to me to be homophobic tendencies!!

6. ugetwutuask4 - Feb 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM

#more obsessed than Rhoniah

• dickasman - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I’m just pissed he didn’t hit me back. I’m better looking than roniah n lennay combined.

7. ugetwutuask4 - Feb 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM

BTW Eifert is top 20 and if he’s still around at 20 Bears really better buck the trend at drafting o lineman in the first round and draft Eify cause he’s gonna set records at TE for a long time to come, period. Especially if he goes to ATL with Matty Ice!

• nudeman - Feb 24, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Bears fan here, and if there is a good OT when they draft and they pick Eifert instead, then all of Halas Hall should be torn down and every last one of them fired.

Many say DJ Fluker from Bama will be their pick.

I haven’t recently broken down any of Fluker’s tape, but if they think he’s good then he’s GOT to be their man. Sorry Tyler.

• dickasman - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Bears fan número tres here. We can’t go wrong w teo, eifert or fluker. I once bought cocaine from man named fluker many times, true story

8. 11thstreetmafia - Feb 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Eifert is a better TE than Fluker is a Tackle.

• ugetwutuask4 - Feb 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Furthermore u can get a lineman either in the later rounds or via free agency. But Cutler needs another option besides B Marshall that can outrun linebackers and give him a security blanket over the middle of the field! Add to that if they’re thinking about drafting Ertz then Eifert is easily without question 10 times the TE Ertz is or will be!

• nudeman - Feb 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM

What good is another burner on the outside if you’ve got a statue for a LT?
        Do they need another WR? Yes
        They also need an Urlacher replacement, a TE and probably another OL.

The only way they should NOT take an LT in the 1st round is if they think what’s left when they pick at 20 is crap.

Frankly, if they really wanted to do something radical they’d pick a QB if there’s a decent one that’s fallen to them. I defended Cutler for 2-3 years but now see him as the modern day Jeff George. Remember, Kaepernick was picked by the 49ers in the 2nd round. Russell Wilson was picked in the 3rd. But Trestman only has a 3 year deal and I don’t see him rolling the dice like that.

No team will EVER win with Jay Cutler, despite his enormous talent.
        He’s a loser.

• dickasman - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM

To me, in the nfl, tackle comes first all else before qb.

9. letafan4ever - Feb 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Eifert really did well in his interview and performances. I admire him a lot. He seems to quietly go about what he needs to do with no Fanfare.

The NFL network was very impressed as were some of the Sports Announcers.

• bernhtp - Feb 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM

His interview was awesome. He came off great. Combined with his athletic numbers, he will go high in the draft.

• dickasman - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Bern, John Clayton didn’t think so in his espn column. Generally Clayton is usually pretty dead on but he may be outnumbered here. Most say he did well

10. dutch31 - Feb 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Anyone know why Cave didn’t bench press?? I thought that he was expecting to get in the mid 40s.

Teo weighed 240 lbs. don’t think he will run under 4.7 in the 40. 40 times are a little over rated. Think Emmit Smith ran a 4.6 ( pre electronic timing, which seems to bring down time about a half second). He did ok and rarely remember him getting caught from behind.

11. dutch31 - Feb 24, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Not much to say about Eifert. Lock to be first TE taken, as he should be. All I can do is hope the Eagles trade down and get an extra 1st round pick to get him. Or pray he is on the board for the 36th pick

12. fnc111 - Feb 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

nude is right. Only Bears fans understand that we need OL help baaaadly. What good is another receiving threat when your QB doesn’t have time to throw and is on his back all day? After watching up close I would take either of those two Bama giants- Fluker/Womack.