Mar 19, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
We’ll have much more on Brian Kelly’s introductory press conference. But the first order of business is finalizing the fifth year seniors on the Irish roster for 2013. Let’s take a quick look at the veterans that were approved for a fifth year of study and an additional year of eligibility:
Carlo Calabrese, ILB
Dan Fox, ILB
Zack Martin, LT
Tyler Stockton, DL
Nick Tausch, K
Chris Watt, LG
For those keeping track at home, only Jake Golic isn’t coming back for a fifth season, with veteran Cierre Wood turning down the opportunity to return. Let’s take a quick look at the decisions that determined the fate of the Irish:
Carlo Calabrese: An expected return, Calabrese will now fight Jarrett Grace and Kendal Moore for the starting inside linebacker role.
Dan Fox: He may be recovering from shoulder surgery, but Fox was another no brainer that is far too valuable to the defense.
Zack Martin: Best Irish offensive lineman in quick some time.
Tyler Stockton: Kelly complimented Stockton on his offseason loyalty. Doesn’t mean he’s to going to see the field. Still, some additional heft up front can’t hurt.
Nick Tausch, Bringing back a fifth-year kicker that still hasn’t been forced to prove it, Tausch is the ultimate contingency plan.
Chris Watt, LG: Cinch at left guard, One of the key players along either the offensive or defensive front.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 52
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 105
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172