Mar 19, 2013, 9:01 PM EST
We’ll have much more on Brian Kelly’s introductory press conference. But the first order of business is finalizing the fifth year seniors on the Irish roster for 2013. Let’s take a quick look at the veterans that were approved for a fifth year of study and an additional year of eligibility:
Carlo Calabrese, ILB
Dan Fox, ILB
Zack Martin, LT
Tyler Stockton, DL
Nick Tausch, K
Chris Watt, LG
For those keeping track at home, only Jake Golic isn’t coming back for a fifth season, with veteran Cierre Wood turning down the opportunity to return. Let’s take a quick look at the decisions that determined the fate of the Irish:
Carlo Calabrese: An expected return, Calabrese will now fight Jarrett Grace and Kendal Moore for the starting inside linebacker role.
Dan Fox: He may be recovering from shoulder surgery, but Fox was another no brainer that is far too valuable to the defense.
Zack Martin: Best Irish offensive lineman in quick some time.
Tyler Stockton: Kelly complimented Stockton on his offseason loyalty. Doesn’t mean he’s to going to see the field. Still, some additional heft up front can’t hurt.
Nick Tausch, Bringing back a fifth-year kicker that still hasn’t been forced to prove it, Tausch is the ultimate contingency plan.
Chris Watt, LG: Cinch at left guard, One of the key players along either the offensive or defensive front.
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Pregame Six Pack: Send off at Stanford 43
- And in that corner… The Stanford Cardinal 54
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. BYU 45
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) (96)
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford (79)
- Friday notes: Additions, Bowls, Coaches and Departures (70)
- Notre Dame accepts bid to play in Pinstripe Bowl (68)
- Rumors swirl as Chuck Martin looks headed for Miami (OH) head job (29)