New Jersey DE Andrew Trumbetti commits to Irish

Mar 23, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT

Andrew Trumbetti

The first Junior Day of the 2014 recruiting cycle netted its first new pledge, as New Jersey defensive end Andrew Trumbetti gave his commitment to head coach Brian Kelly and defensive coordinator Bob Diaco today. The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder had offers from Florida, Clemson, Miami, Penn State, Stanford and several others.

As Brian Kelly noted on Signing Day, the Irish coaching staff was on the lookout for more power players that can play up front on the defense and a quick look at Trumbetti’s highlight tape shows you a disruptive force that plays both inside and out on the defensive front. (Trumbetti also looks to double as a tight end, a statement about his athleticism.)

Trumbetti made the announcement on his Facebook page, and confirmed with several media outlets. ESPN.com’s Jared Shanker caught up with the Trumbetti’s high school coach, who gave some feedback on the decision.

“It felt like he was really listing other schools and he had gone down to Florida and loved it,” Demarest coach Tony Mottola told ESPN. “But I felt his heart has always been at Notre Dame. When he was there this weekend and he sat down with Coach Kelly and Coach Diaco and met the guys, it was going to be tough for him to get out of there this weekend without some type of decision.”

With the Irish likely looking at a smaller recruiting class in this cycle, perhaps as low as the high teens, accepting the commitment of Trumbetti probably says more about the player than anything a recruiting analyst could suggest. With still more than ten months to go before Signing Day, this staff is likely being very particular in the net that they cast out and even more particular in the pledges they accept.

Trumbetti is another New Jersey recruit, the second in the class from the tri-state area, joining Jay Hayes from Brooklyn. He’s reportedly a life long Notre Dame fan that couldn’t say no to the opportunity to play for the Irish, and be a part of a defensive front that’s among the best in the country.

Notre Dame now has five commitments for the 2014 class. Trumbetti joins wide receiver Justin Brent, offensive lineman Jimmy Byrne, defensive tackle Jay Hayes and linebacker Greer Martini.

***

***

Photo property of NorthJersey.com

1. kiopta1 - Mar 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Good get. Likely 5 4* at positions we want.

2. jerseyshorendfan1 - Mar 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Love the Jersey pipeline……..keep it flowing.

3. mtflsmitty - Mar 24, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I know there’s probably 15 months before he arrives in SB. But is he really going to play 40-50 pounds heavier than he is now? I’d expect some of that speed to evaporate. Wonder if ILB or TE might be the plan. Well, maybe, just maybe BK and the boys have thought that through with a ate more care than I just did.

GO IRISH

• mtflsmitty - Mar 24, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Tad.

Apparently, my editor is on vacation with KA’s.

4. ndnapa - Mar 24, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I’m glad ND signed Trumbetti, who looks like a LE to me. But I think they should now start to slow play everyone but the 5*s or high 4*s who are tearing it up at the national camps, or their top choice at every position. DL is a good example. No way we can take more than 5-maybe no more than 4. We have Hayes and Trumbetti already. You can’t pass up Holley and his huge upside or Smith, and I think they both want ND. so say that’s 4.

Then what if McDowell wants to come? Have to take him, and that would be 5. But you still wouldn’t have the huge NT to replace Nix unless you signed a Khary Clark or Natrell Curtis or a project like Elam (6-6, 345). And that’s counting Andrew Williams as an OLB, who may be the top defensive guy on ND’s list.

We’d still need at least 2 more ILBs, 1 OLB, 2 CBs, 3 OL, 1 WR, 1 RB, at least 1 QB, 1 TE. That’s minimum of 20 right there. With all the offers ND has out, there’s a good chance they would be obligated to take very good-not great-players who could well sign eventually. I think Brent will be an outstanding WR for ND, but what if Andrews, Googer, Scott and Holmes (or any combination) want to sign. How can they sign 3-4 WRs after signing 4 last year?

I think the coaching staff is aware of this, but it’s still very tricky. It could be that they would have preferred to wait on another DL, but after Trumbetti’s visit to Florida, they didn’t want to risk losing him outright at this point. And I think that was the correct decision if that is how it progressed, but I don’t see anything like signing 7-8 guys in a month like last year. Unless they’re elite.

5. bernhtp - Mar 24, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Having another gingerman on the d-line will really freak out opponents. It’s part of a big psyche strategy.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Mar 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM

The student section will be full Viking helmets

6. irish13pa - Mar 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM

1. QB….
    2. Jabrill Peppers DB
    3. Sony Michel RB
    4. Lorenzo Carter DE
    5. Elijah Hood Ath
    6. Clifton Garrett ILB

These 6 should be the absolute top priorities for the Irish 2014 class. They all have interest in ND and the are all top recruites.
    Why does Keller Chryst (Dayne’s little bro) not have an offer from ND???? I understand after what BK did to his big brother he probably would not choose ND anyways but why not offer him just in case???

• mcirish27 - Mar 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM

They’re actually not related – Dayne is Crist, Keller is Chryst, like Paul Chryst.

This kid’s tape looks like he plays with a mean streak – throwing people straight to the ground on blocks, I’m liking it!

• irish13pa - Mar 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Gotcha mcirish27, I should have researched a little better before bashing BK on that one… my bad.
        I would love ND to at least throw an offer his way. Seems like a pretty good qb.

• dudeacow - Mar 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM

QB would be Brandon Dawkins. He is a 4 star dual-threat from Jimmy Clausen’s HS, and has only one offer, and that would be from ND. Also, he’s the only QB ND has offered, so he’s obviously the only one they want.

• irish13pa - Mar 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Dude, yes I noticed they are after Dawkins. I just hope the kid can throw. Seams like these dual threat qb’s are more one sided qb’s than dual types… aka Hendricks.

• dudeacow - Mar 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Well, he threw for 2844 yards and 33 TDs as a junior and stands at 6′ 3″ 206, so not only can he throw, but it looks like he is sturdy enough to withstand tough hits in the pocket.

7. dudeacow - Mar 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Yeah, yeah, he’s a great player, 4 star, lots of offers, blah blah blah. But he’s not elite. Don’t get me wrong, I really like this kid and all the others in ND’s class so far. But these are the type of kids that we picked up BEFORE we went to the natty. We can recruit on a higher plane now, so I expect kids like Smith, Vanderdoes, Bryant, and Redfield to be the norm for us now.

8. irishspartan1 - Mar 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I love this pick up, the early 5 are all solid players! And I also agree with some of the other comments we need to capitalize on the elite recruits. I think a early 2012 USC class is possible for Brian Kelly and the Boys, especially if they start off hot in 2013. my top targets for ND are as follows:
    1. JaBrill Peppers- The kid is a stud and a shut down corner, would work wonders with Redfield in the defensive backfield!
    2. Malik McDowell & Lorenzo Carter- If BK and the boys can reel these two in alone, I will be happy. These two are MONSTERS! and paired with the talent we already have up front they will be dominate! I have already asked Santa for these two to commit to ND
    3. Sony Michel- in tandem with Greg Bryant, they would be Alabama-esque, he is a game changer!
    4. Clifton Garrett & Nyles Morgan- would be a perfect tandem to complete our Linebacking corps next to Jaylon Smith, Doug Randolph, and Mike Deeb, both are stud athletes who can play sideline to sideline.
    5. Khairi Clark- Louis Nix 2.0 another run stuffer to pair with EV inside those monsters listed above, would protect our athletic linebackers and still bring pressure to opposing QB’s
    6. KC McDermott & Braden Smith- these two would compliment last years o-line haul, and give us two more road graders, if we want to have an o-line like Alabama these two are a must.

with those 9 + the 5 we have = 14 giving us room to add a Elijah Hood, Nathan Sparks, and/or Tony Brown, and a wide receiver or two.

I think its do-able considering all the listed players have solid interest in the Irish, and I think Brian Kelly and the guys are up to the task, start the season well, and get them on campus and the sky is the limit!

GO IRISH!!!

9. irishdodger - Mar 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Any word on Carlisle breaking his collarbone?

10. fnc111 - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Out until fall camp. This was my point with this kid a year ago. No reason to ever be excited about someone who will never play. Fragile.

11. fnc111 - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:28 AM

#3 ugh

12. irish4006 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Smaller class? High teens? Why? Can you please elaborate? I didn’t know that we are so loaded with talent that we would go with numbers in the teens by choice.

13. ajw21 - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Irish: not by choice. Blame the NCAA. 85 scholarship limit per season.
    Go Irish!

• irish4006 - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Yes, but did you count the juniors (will be senior in 2013) we have on the roster now. I think there were 24 of them. To me, returning players for 5th year should be a result of how many scholarships we have left after recruiting to the max.

Transfers, medical hardship, all these things happen and we always seem to find room for those few special guys we want back for the 5th year. We don’t need to recruit in the teens to save room for Tommy Rees (as much as Keith would love that).