Chase Hounshell and Amir Carlisle suffer injuries

Mar 25, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT

Amir Carlisle

Tough injury news to report out of spring practice. The Irish look to have suffered two injuries after Saturday’s first practice in pads. Multiple sources tell me that defensive end Chase Hounshell has suffered another shoulder injury. One source indicates that it’s another torn labrum for Hounshell, a really tough break for the rising junior defensive end, who came into spring in great shape.

Reading the tea leaves a bit, Hounshell tweeted last night, “I’ve worked too hard to come within arm’s reach of the prize only to have my hand cut off just before I seize it.” That could mean anything obviously, but after two shoulder injuries, including one that cost Hounshell last season, a labrum tear would be a major set back.

Speaking of injury set backs, it appears running back Amir Carlisle had one as well, with a broken collarbone the result of a Saturday collision. That’s another tough break for the diminutive running back, who Brian Kelly openly complimented after the weekend’s practice and will likely play a big role in the ’13 offensive attack.

Carlisle, who sat out last season after struggling to come back from an ankle injury, also battled injuries during his one season at USC. He’ll have to jump one more injury hurdle before seeing the field for the Irish. A collarbone will likely take Carlisle out for the rest of spring, but he’ll have plenty of time to heal before summer camp opens up. Irish Illustrated also reported Carlisle’s collarbone injury on their premium messageboard.

Brian Kelly didn’t meet with the media after practice today, and isn’t scheduled to address the media until after Easter.¬† But when he does, he’ll likely lay out a time table for both injuries.

1. dudeacow - Mar 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Tough, tough breaks. Let’s hope both are back to full speed by September, but this confirms my fears about Carlisle not being able to stay healthy. Ah, life moves on.

2. jerseyshorendfan1 - Mar 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Wow, some guys just can’t seem to stay away from the injury bug and Hounshell and Carlisle are 2 cases in point. Too bad. Amir should be a full go for the reg season but it sounds like Hounshell may have a surgery and a lot of rehab ahead of him.

3. fnc111 - Mar 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I doubt either will play ever again.

• andy44teg - Mar 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

You’re an idiot.

• mtflsmitty - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:33 AM

No, Andy. You, and every other numbskull here that keeps responding to fnc’s moronic posts day after day are the idiots. I’m one Irish Catholic kid from NWI that may have been to dumb to get into ND. But I know when I’m being screwed with.

QUIT WITH THE RESPONSES TO HIM. QUIT GIVING HIM THUMBS DOWN. IGNORE HIM. HE’LL GO AWAY.

• andy44teg - Mar 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

It’s “too dumb”…not “to dumb”…idiot.

• mtflsmitty - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Thumbs up from me Andy. You’d think if I was going to be on my high horse, I would have at least taken care not to be guilty of the to/too error. For my part, I am sorry I allowed fnc to come between us.

• andy44teg - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Kinda what I was thinking, TOO. Not a problem, smitty. It’s water under the bridge.

4. mmcss690 - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

IF Carlisle makes it to the regular season, he seems too accident prone and I wouldn’t be surprised if his first live hit put him out.

• ndgoldandblue - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I hear ya on Carlisle. When I read the title of the article, I thought to myself, “Carlisle got injured? What happened, did he fracture a rib sneezing?” The guy’s Notre Dame’s version of Greg Oden–boatloads of talent but can’t seem to stay healthy.

5. mediocrebob - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I was hoping you’d never never post again.

6. irishbornraised - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I see a 6th in the cards for Carlisle.

7. bernhtp - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM

The good news about a collarbone is that recovery is pretty quick, especially if it isn’t a full break that might require surgery. It also won’t keep him from doing speed drills, just no contact for about 2-3 months. The bad news is that Amir appears to have fragile bones or very bad luck. I’m hoping it’s the latter because luck can turn around; fragile bones don’t.

8. cpfirish - Mar 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Losing Amir is a major blow to our offense! I have watched him play when he was at USC. And the kid has amazing speed. I really hope he can stay healthy! I know from experience cause I broke my collar bone in three places, and I was back on the field in six weeks. The guy does not have very good luck. Anyways hope he recovers well ad can stay healthy this summer going into the season! He will be electric on the field! Go Irish!

9. dickasman - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Don’t worry guys we got Obama care. He ll be back on field in no time!

10. tsombanj - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Guys – Why are we criticizing people for wondering aloud if Carlisle or Hounshell can stay healthy? Both posts raise legitimate concerns. I wish them both well but the recurring pattern here is alarming. Bryant better get ready to see the field. And ND better continue to recruit the D-Line. As a side, seems like ND is recruiting the TE position well. Any chance of Niklas moving back to DE? It just seems to me that this kid could reach first round potential at that position.