Spring practice video breakdown: Part two

Mar 26, 2013, 12:21 AM EST

Notre Dame Football Practice

Obviously, today’s news about running back Amir Carlisle and defensive end Chase Hounshell suffering significant injuries was a tough reminder that spring practice also carries with it some risk. But the Irish are hardly alone. Michigan lost its best defensive playmaker, linebacker Jake Ryan to a torn ACL last week, putting his 2013 season in doubt.

But as it happens during the fall, a football team charges on. For Carlisle, the injury won’t likely limit him past the spring. For Hounshell, that future is more complicated. Still, “Next Man In” continues as the mantra.

Let’s take a look at the second practice video, with a far too fanatical look at the footage captured during the Irish’s first few practices.

***

***

0:10 — Loving the mood music. Also enjoying head coach Brian Kelly talking about identity. Nice pep talk to get the guys ready to go. If you’re trying to read between the lines, you can see how BK and company are re-framing the journey.

0:38 — Fifth year senior Tyler Stockton (#92) breaks the squad down. If you’re looking for an interesting comment on the decision to bring players back for a final year, Kelly provided it on Saturday.

“Unless there’s reasons where you’ve got your degree and you don’t see yourself really being part of the success on the field, I’d want every fifth-year guy back,” Kelly said. “They know what I want from them, they can help in so many other areas. Even if they’re not playing a significant role.

“My feeling is that if I could get every one of those fifth-years back every single year, they have something to add to the overall team. That was the case again this year.”

For the record, only seldom used tight end Jake Golic didn’t return for a fifth season.

0:52 — That’s Everett Golson flipping the ball to running back Cam McDaniel (#33) on a swing pass. That might be a nice role for McDaniel this season, morphing into a third down, pass catching type threat.

0:55 — Tommy Rees and Golson work through some pocket presence drills as Malik Zaire looks on. When you consider Gunner Kiel’s decision to leave, you’ve got to wonder which of these two quarterbacks played into the decision more. Rees, who likely would’ve held onto the No. 2 job this fall, or Golson, who looks like a four year starter.

1:00 — Nice job by cornerback Lo Wood (#23) getting a good jam on DaVaris Daniels (#10) and then breaking up the slant. Getting Wood back healthy and athletic can only help this secondary.

1:03 — Talk about another nice comeback story, that’s Alex Welch (#82) looking good running down the seam. If he’s able to contribute next season, having three big bodies at the position will really help the Irish offense.

1:05 — That’s KeiVarae Russell (#6) and Justin Ferguson (#15) battling for a fade route, as Chuck Martin looks on.

1:10 — One of our first looks at freshman Corey Robinson (#88) beating walk-on cornerback Joe Romano (#35) on a deep pattern. The long-striding youngster did a nice job getting separation. (For those thinking Robinson ends up as a tight end, he’s got a lot of eating to do.)

1:15 — Rising sophomore Jarron Jones (#94) certainly looks the part. That’s a big dude.

1:23 — Some youth on the offensive line getting work in. From left: Mark Harrell (#75), Conor Hanratty (#65) and Steve Elmer (#79).

1:27 — Golson throws a bullet that Daniel Smith (#87) snags.

1:33 — Look, a Davonte Neal (#19) sighting! Neal makes a catch from Tommy Rees and turns up field. Perhaps an even better sighting is secondary coach Bobby Elliott, who is back on the field after a kidney transplant.

1:36 — Golson works a scramble drill, peels out and throws a bullet to new tight end Joey Brooks (#81).

1:42 — Hit pause and you see all four Irish quarterbacks. Zaire, Golson, Andrew Hendrix and Rees.

1:45 — Harrell (#75) goes one-on-one with Stockton.

1:51 — It looks like Justin Utupo (#53) gets the better of freshman Elmer (#79) with the edge rush.

1:54 — That’s big Lou Nix (#1) getting by Hanratty. (Don’t feel too bad, Conor. You won’t be alone this year.)

1:58 — Speaking of Utupo, he gets by starting tackle Christian Lombard (#74) with a nice pass rush move.

2:05 — That’s Chris Brown (#2) beating Josh Atkinson (#24) on the reception.

2:08 — That’s Utupo getting around Zack Martin (#70) as well.  I think it’s time to a jump to a conclusion: Utupo had a nice practice.

2:14 — Chris Watt (#66) does a nice job handling Jarron Jones.

1. dickasman - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM

That poor Carlisle can’t catch a break. Thank god for obamacare otherwise he’d be screwed.

Is it just me or do I get a “lazy” vibe from Daniels? He don’t seem like a fighter or a hard worker much. Pfffffft, hey James, get yo clears on sonnnnn! Get in there n push that son of a gun

2. dickasman - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Hey guys I got this email from citi. It’s camp n luncheon meet w bk for 149 bucks. Sounds pretty cheap to tell bk to his face that we sucked donkey king in NC game. I’ve got two nephews I’d like to take with me so we have 3 kids going total. I guess by default I have to be the parent. Can you guys figure out how this sht works? Do I have to buy 3x $149?

• Robert the Bob - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I suggest someone should contact child protective services so that they can set up a roadblock or something.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM

or ask dick if he’s just bringing kids with him so he appears sensitive to all the single ladies in attendance…

• dickasman - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM

4horseman, I <3 rich ND cougars. I'd 4horseman pound da sgt outta them fa sho in their RX330 you right son!

• dickasman - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM

You must be another pathetic democrat dependent on government, running to gov agency at the first site of nothing. Goooooooooo Obamacareeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• dickasman - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I don’t hate anybody and I like to have fun here and there. Please do not take me seriously, seriously. And for those who already don’t, thank you and carry on!

Lets make it a crappy day!

• andy44teg - Mar 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Hey, Dickie, I’ll bet you $100 that you don’t yell that @ BK…guaranteed!

• dickasman - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM

What a cheap,a$$. you on foodstamps or what? for $100 i wouldnt do sht, you iz right nekka, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht.
        Hey Andy, I bet $1000 you are ugly loser in person.

3. kiopta1 - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Only $149 to get yourself banned from everything….go for it.

4. kiopta1 - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:28 AM

That price is usually per person.

5. dickasman - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Ok so I have to buy 3 right? It says something about guest so that threw me off

6. jmfinsd - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Perhaps we will see some improvement from GA3 this year after all. In another practice video at UND.com under the title “Notre Dame Football Spring Practice Update – March 25, 2013″ (or just click this link – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTqk9virk9I&feature=youtube_gdata_player), at about the 1:28 mark you see GA3 putting a sick move on Sheldon Day that makes Day ‘ole. This assumes GA3 is #4 and Day is #91 as they were last year. Some nifty footwork. Maybe the strength and conditioning work and no track, just football is paying off.

• lambda02750 - Mar 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM

That was a nice move in the backfield. That looked a lot like what he saved the day with in the Purdue game last year…or was it Pitt? I think it was the Purdue game.

7. twebb2 - Mar 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I also love the kick-ass music in the video!!!