Kiel set to enroll at Cincinnati

Apr 11, 2013, 6:59 AM EDT

Rees Golson Kiel

A day after Davonte Neal decided to head home to the University of Arizona, quarterback Gunner Kiel has decided to transfer to Cincinnati. ESPN’s Joe Schad reports that Kiel selected Brian Kelly’s former program after considering Ball State, Miami (Ohio), Kansas State and Mississippi.

Schad spoke to Kiel, who provided his rationale: “Cincinnati was the best fit for me because the relationship I have with [quarterbacks] Coach Hinshaw is like nothing else,” Kiel told Schad. “He is a great overall person and is someone I know I can get coached by. “The group of guys I’m going to be around is second to none. I love where they are heading and the future is bright.”

For those curious, Darin Hinshaw is a recent hire to the Bearcats staff, joining new coach Tommy Tuberville for the first time. Hinshaw was at Tennessee the past three seasons before Butch Jones took over for Derek Dooley, first spending time coaching both quarterbacks and wide receivers. He accepted the role of passing game coordinator at Cincinnati. The Bearcats offensive coordinator is Eddie Gran, a long time Tuberville lieutenant at Auburn, who is coordinating an offense for the first time in his 20+ years of coaching, after serving as a running backs and special teams coach the past decade at Auburn and Florida State.

The move to Cincinnati ends an interesting few weeks of hypothesizing about Kiel’s decision. In Cincinnati, he finds a program clearly a step above the MAC level, though not necessarily for long, with the implosion of the Big East. Still, with Tuberville at the helm and one of the conference’s most successful programs of late, Kiel has the opportunity to play at a high profile school, even if their lot in life is still to be determined.

Kiel also has the benefit of an opportunistic depth chart. With two senior quarterbacks on the Bearcats’ roster, Kiel will sit out and then step into a wide open race for playing time, in an offensive system that on paper seems to match the 6-foot-4 quarterback’s skillset.

To that point, the jury is still out on what exactly Cincinnati is getting. A five-star recruit who was among the top prospects in his signing class according to various recruiting services, opinions still vary on Kiel’s potential, with some coaches questioning his ability to reporters. Still, Kiel impressed the Irish coaching staff during his redshirt season, and had crafted out an opportunity for Kiel to compete with returning starter Everett Golson and No. 2 Tommy Rees, before he decided to depart. (It bears mentioning that the last time Cincinnati accepted the transfer of a Notre Dame quarterback, it didn’t work out too well for the Bearcats with Demetrius Jones.

A source on Cincinnati’s coaching staff confirmed Kiel’s decision to a reporter at the Cincinnati Enquirer.

“He called us and said he’s coming. He wants to get it started as soon as possible,” the source told the paper.

1. tonyricemajorharris - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Gotta love a QB that’s afraid to compete. Talented- yes. Buyer beware…

2. thobb - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

A big part of me thinks that he saw Golson as the lock for the next few, but another part of me wants to think that Zaire came in and showed the tools he has, and all it did was compound his decision because he was sandwiched between the two.

3. bearcatirishfan - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM

As a uc Grad at least it’s my other favorite team. Silver linings?

4. irish13pa - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Sounds like Kiel found a good fit. Good for him. With Kelly and Co sold on Golston, I do not blame him at all for leaving. Im thinking in 2015-2016… we will all be here saying “Fugg… imagine if that guy was behind center here”.
    Ok, so I let it out of the bag that I was a Gunner fan… so what. Now that he is elsewhere, my fingers are crossed for Golston’s development and hope that he learns to RUN when he is out of the pocket.

• nudeman - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

“Golston”?

Jesus …

• NotreDan - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hahahaha…

How can that get a thumbs down?

5. nudeman - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM

If there’s anyone reading this who is tight with the program (Keith? Bern? someone else?) here’s something I’d love to know: How well was Kiel coming along at ND?

He clearly wasn’t going to beat out Golson (or Golston; and probably not Gholston either), but were the coaches high on his development?
    Was he a legit shot to be #2 this year?

Or were they concerned that, paraphrasing the immortal words of Denny Green “Kiel is NOT who we THOUGHT he was”??

• ndgoldandblue - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

“Gunner Kiel is not who we thought he was! He is not who we thought he was! Now, if you wanna’ crown him, then crown his ass! But he is not who we thought he was! So we let him off the hook.”

• bernhtp - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

No inside information required here.

Kelly often publicly commended Kiel on his scout team performance and effort, but what went on around him seems to have had more of an effect. Golson (apparently) secured the QB job for the next three years. He sees Rees as the backup Kelly trusts this year. Next year he had Zaire to contend with along with any hot frosh du jour. Kiel got an early look at Zaire, who is currently impressing everyone with his speed of development. Net-net, Kiel saw he would get no time this year and would be in a fight for his life just to be #2 for the following two.

With fourth and ten and still early in the game, Kiel decided to punt.

• nudeman - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

It’s hard and maybe unfair to make a definitive pronouncement that Kiel made a mistake. It’s his life, he wants to play, and barring an injury we all know it’s going to be very hard to unseat Gholsten in the next couple years.

Having said that, EG is a small guy, takes physical chances and it’s not hard to imagine he’ll miss a few games. Maybe more than a few. And if Kiel had been coming along nicely as you say, I’d say there’s a decent chance he’d get the nod over Rees.

So Gunner has traded in that opportunity for 1) a 100% guaranteed year sitting out in 2013; 2) a much much less prestigious program.
        Still seems like a questionable move to me.

Whatever.

• mtflsmitty - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM

So, I’m not trying to bust chops on this, but…..

You rake Neal over the coals for going back home to be a father to his daughter. But you give Kiel a pass (or at least your tone is less harsh) for quitting.

I don’t get it.

• nudeman - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Because I don’t believe – and will never believe – the reason Neal gave.
        Kiel on the other hand never tried to BS us. Just wants to play
        Pretty simple.

• bernhtp - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You had me at Ghoulsten.

Kiel performed well in practice. I doubt that even the coaching staff had a firm idea of how the depth chart would shakeout over the next years, but they wanted Gunner to stick around and compete for the job. They made a point to communicate this to him and were disappointed when he decided otherwise.

Hendrix is primarily a Notre Dame guy/student and thus while not winning the job is disappointing, it doesn’t change his course. Gunner, on the other hand, sees himself primarily as a QB, and thus if ND doesn’t provide that opportunity, somewhere else will. The odds have to be high that he will be starting at Cincy in a year and a half. Those odds are way lower at ND.

• nudeman - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I feel bad for AH, but it’s not like he hasn’t had his chances. My guess is he sticks at ND through this year, then x-fers somewhere to play a 5th year. As long as he has his degree, he wouldn’t have to sit out.

Only thing is this: What school would want him? He is fairly raw in a lot of ways and he’s the kind of guy who probably won’t really deliver the goods right away. 3-4 years of ND coaching is good on the resume, and he’s a smart kid. But I don’t see a Big 10 school taking him; not even a bottom feeder like IL, IO, MN, etc. Probably a MAC type school is the best bet.

• bernhtp - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM

While Hendrix might take a fifth year at ND if offered, I doubt he goes anywhere else. He’s going to med school. In ten years, he’ll have waiting room replete with Notre Dame photos/memorabilia and a looped video featuring his long run in the AF game.

• dickasman - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I hope he becomes a doctor n examines my brain. I’d certainly be honored.

• bernhtp - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Don’t get your brain examined; you probably won’t like the diagnosis or prognosis. If Hendrix reads this board, the examination is likely to be very short unless it involves surgical exploration. Don’t stick around if you hear him warming up the bone saw or drill.

• rjshan - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM

There is the $64Million dollar question !

6. irishdodger - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Good for Kiel. Best of luck to him at Cincy.

7. steeldominance - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Prediction for the upcoming season: Kiel has a better year than Golson on a mediocre team with less preparation time than Golson. I hope I am wrong, I just don’t think Golson will ever be a passer. Flame me all you want, call me a troll, post last years passing stats rah rah rah….the guy didn’t impress me when it came to throwing the ball and reminds me of Terrelle Pryor with less running ability.

• bernhtp - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Terrelle Pryor? Kidding, right? Pryor is 6’6″ with blazing speed and little passing ability. In stark contrast, Golson is 5’11”, quick/elusive but not particularly fast, and has a great arm and passing playmaking ability. He was a national leader in passing as a high school senior. Whatever limits on the passing game you saw last season were due to Kelly’s conservativism – the belief in the defense, solid running game, and the risk of Golson’s inexperience, particularly early in the season. With that said, Golson proved he could turn it on when needed, e.g., 4Q Pitt.

You didn’t watch much Notre Dame football this last year, did you?

• heisenbyrg - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

The Golson-isn’t-a-passer argument is one I’ll never understand. Honestly feels like people look at the color of his skin and decide he’s a runner first, even though there is no evidence of this point. I don’t want to be inflammatory, but I think people resort to stereotypes with black QBs.

• bernhtp - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:03 PM

The sad part is that Pryor and Golson are so different physically and in their skills that you wonder if Steel falls prey to “they all look alike.” Color me mystified.

• steeldominance - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I never said anything about skin color…you guys did. Go back and look at their stats. Pryors passing stats are better. Watched every ND game and attended two. See how well Pryor is throwing the ball in the NFL?

• 123rkc - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

As far as my basic knowledge of transfers goes, Kiel will sit out for the upcoming season. So your prediction is over a year off. Golson looked rattled at times but the fact remains that he was a freshman and was a major factor in ND making it to the National Championship. That’s a darn good start to a career. Also, I’m not a Pryor fan but I’ll gladly take comparisons to a BCS winning/Rose bowl MVP collegiate quarterback any day of the week. At least in respect to his on the field/collegiate success.

• papadec - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM

steel – do you really think he’ll get much playing time behind two (2) seniors @ Cinn? Get him a bucket & mop for his 4th qtr work (maybe).

8. irishdodger - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Unless Kiel lives up to his potential, is it safe to say Jake Kelchner was the most successful QB to transfer from ND to another school?

• andy44teg - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Zach Frazier??

9. ajw21 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Steel: I can guarantee that Golson has a better year then Gunner. Gunner has to sit a year due to transferring. Going forward I like Golson & Zaire backing him up for 2 years after a redshirt year. I don’t see the competitiveness in Gunner. Cinci has 2 seniors this year so it seems he is looking for the easiest path. With that said, best of luck to him.
    Go Irish!

• steeldominance - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM

excuse me, next year. That being said, if our D and running game isnt as stout as it was last year….Kiel may still have a better year from the bench.

• keelio19 - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Look guys, obviously Steel doesn’t have the ability to grasp the very basics of players transferring (Sitting the 1st year) so what makes you think he has the knowledge to make a logical comparison between two quarterbacks.

Steel, You can come out and say that you made an honest mistake and that you didn’t think about him having to sit out the 1st year, but that’s the very first thing that comes to most college football fans minds when you hear; ‘ a player transferring’. You’ve got a lot of nerve coming on this site saying Kiel, who hasn’t even taken a snap in a game, let alone even play in an entire game or season is going to come out (*Next Season) and have a better showing than Golson. If you know anything about BK and ND, you know BK is going to put the best player at the position, if Gunner was really better he would of stayed and started over Golson, why else did he leave? BK is not in the business of playing favorites, he’s in the business of winning games, if it’s by 1 point or by 50, his JOB is to win, so he’ll put the best 11 out there. You seem to have forgotten Golson has played in 11 full COLLEGE games and only losing one to Alabama, where he probably had one of his better games. Golson, is ranked sixth all-time in national high school history (6th all time in the history of high school football, that’s nationally not just in SC) with 151 career touchdown passes, (that’s when you throw the ball and score a touchdown, 151 times). Now that was his High School stats, but he at least has proven himself in college, can’t say the same for Kiel who hasn’t set foot on the field of a live game yet, was probably at best #3 behind Tommy and when faced with competition, he runs from Indiana to LSU to ND to Cinci. and he’s going to be better than Golson,HA I laugh at your logic!

Yeah Kiel is going to be on a Mediocre team with less preparation, GREAT POINT, he’s also going to be playing against less than mediocre competition and Golson is STILL going to have a better season throwing the ball. As requested I’m not going to “Flame me all you want, call me a troll, post last years passing stats rah rah rah…’ (Flame me all you want, what?) But your lack of knowledge in college football let alone Notre Dame football just makes your posts even more ignorant. Thanks for your time but maybe you should just read the articles, and not comment on. Best of luck for Kiel in his first game as a bearcat in 2014 against Stony Brook Sea Wolves, ha-ha, Sea wolves, what a team mascot, sounds like a team the SEC plays 3 times a year.

• andy44teg - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Wow, Keelio19…I thought I could rant…holy shit! That being said…I agree with everything you just said.

• NotreDan - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM

keelio, don’t recognize your handle, but welcome, great post

• keelio19 - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I come out of the wood work every once in awhile, have been following this site since the beginning of last season. I’ll post here and there, love me some Irish football. I just couldn’t hold back this time with Steely Dan making comments like he did, what a bonehead, he’s almost to the level of that dickboy (dickman), maybe that is him in disguise, maybe Keith got with his IT team and they blocked his IP and now he’s posting under his neighbors wireless IP addy. Sounds like something dickboy would do

I can appreciate constructive criticism, but when you make no sense and your sole purpose is to just bash the Irish, do you really not have anything better do do? Maybe go out and find a job, maybe move out of your parents basement. I think most if not all of us really hate USC, they are our rival, but I don’t know about you, I have never been on nor have I ever looked for any of their boards to get on and start $hit, it’s pointless and I don’t want to be talking with a bunch of USC fans when I could be posting with Irish fans. I see dickboy, steel, fnc all in the same boat, basically ignore their posts and move on. This time was just too irresistible to not comment on Steels post.

• steeldominance - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Keelio, glad to see we have another total homer of a fan. It was an honest mistake and I would venture to guess that I knew more about college football, ND football, pro football by age 14 than you ever will. I live and breathe it buddy. You seem to forget that Golson was bailed out of multiple games due to poor performance. Why would Kiel transfer instead of battling it out with Golson? Well thats easy. Kelly gets a hard on for quarterbacks (see Tommy Rees) despite their quality of play. If you read any of my other post, you would see my supportive nature of the Irish as well as my criticism of Golson. Just because I dont think every player on the team is the greatest does not make me any less of a fan. Have fun here at Inside the Irish, land of domer homers.

10. 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I won’t call you names or cite stats, though i will point out that Golson has a clean, classic throwing motion while Terrelle Pryor’s motion was, is, and always will be terrible, so I think your comparison to Pryor is not a persuasive one. Other than EG and Pryor both being black males who play QB and have a propensity to tuck it and run rather than hit the checkdown, what is it exactly about EG that reminds you of Pryor?

Maybe Kiel will put up better passing numbers at Cincy than EG does at ND, when it is all said and done, but there is a reason (and one that many are anxious to uncover) why Kiel didn’t come into the spring even with or ahead of EG. As I have speculated here before, with more experience at receiver than in the backfield, I expect ND’s run:pass split to be somewhere around 60:40 in the early part of the season, and start to even out midway through the year. If EG is as efficient as last year, or more so, putting it up 35+ times/game will lead to some nice numbers for him.

11. simmel65 - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM

There are a couple of things to consider.

1) Golson was freshman (redshirt, yes, but a freshman) last year. He is going to be much better this year just in terms of the speed of the game slowing down for him. Will he have the same weapons (Eifert…), no, but he will start making others better.

2) Last year, I think ND got ahead of itself a bit. Going undefeated made it harder and harder each week to be less conservative. I think even Kelly might admit that. The defense was stout and so they played an old Ravens style philosophy of don’t make mistakes on offense. A lot went well last year for us, that may not this year. That might be better for Golson’s development, if that makes sense. I think ND has a legit shot to be in the NC again in 2 years. When this years recruiting class hits the field and if Tuitt or Nix decide stay.. Its a real possibility.

I always thought Keil had more upside, but I’m comfortable with Golson. He will probably be our QB for the next 3 years. That is pretty cool. Sometimes having NFL guys on your team isn’t the best for continuity sakes.

12. irishgabe - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I believe Gunner will have a solid career, not great, not an All-American and he will love his media exposure (NOT), but I wish the guy all the best!

Golson is the real deal (he just makes things happen – great athlete)!!!!!

13. mediocrebob - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Steel-

EG broke numerous passing records in high school and made obvious strides last year as a FRESHMAN. Kid can make every throw. Just because he’s an African American QB doesn’t mean he’s a running QB.

14. papadec - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I think steel is thinking that Kiel will be able to play this year, after transferring, like Davonte Neal.

• bernhtp - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM

It’s pure speculation that Davonte will get the waiver to play this fall. After all, Aaron Lynch had a very similar situation. Hell, he even married the girl, but had to sit the year out.

• whodabigdog - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Lynch got married AND still had to sit out a year. Man that had to suck! I heard that the NCAA was going to get rid of the hardship transfer last fall but haven’t seen any thing on it lately.

• nudeman - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I wouldn’t bet on Neal getting a waiver.

NCAA will do a fairly thorough examination of exactly why he left ND (in the middle of a semester, btw). They’ll speak with the coaches and whoever else in the Administration they need to speak with.

There might be privacy laws that will protect him, and if as bern says it wasn’t grades or some disciplinary violation(s) that led to his “decision to leave” (ahem), then he’s got a shot.

But if they determine it was grades and/or disciplinary stuff, then I’d think he’s sitting a year. Plus, as the other poster here said, Lynch’s circumstances were fairly similar (newborn and new wife) and he definitely was in good academic standing, and he had to sit.

15. NotreDan - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I think I’m REALLY going to enjoy this season with steel.

• bernhtp - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I’m sure he’ll be in good company with fnc, sinister, etc. HarveyUpdyke will likely join by the end of the season.

• bearcatirishfan - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Don’t forget about Rick Reilly.

• papadec - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM

bern – if that was the real Harv Up – he’s vacationing with the state for about three years. I’m looking forward to the Oklahoma posters, when we get close to that game, they were very nice people.

• bernhtp - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:21 PM

It will be interesting to see the OK folks this year. Last season they were publicly admonished to treat their Notre Dame visitors with utmost courtesy by the University President, football coach, etc. They realized they were under (unusual) national attention and scrutiny. I went to the game and they all complied – extremely friendly.

• nudeman - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM

5 different aliases on the MSU board; LOFFFL
        God bless you my Son
        We really need to have a few pints together

• NotreDan - Apr 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM

We do Nude. You going to SB next year?

• NotreDan - Apr 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM

and I think I MAY have been drinking that night… lol.

I just remember how the guy that Keith interviewed from the MSU board was a giant douche-nozzle so when we spanked them I couldn’t wait to get there and tell them ALL about it.

• bernhtp - Apr 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Great job. Looking from the other perspective, I can’t imagine there is anything more obnoxious and annoying that a knowledgeable Notre Dame fan in a breakout 12-0 season. God, they must sooooo hate you.

• nudeman - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM

NotreDan, as long as u got me you don’t need no stinkin steel, fnc harvupdyke or any of the clowns. Stick with me man; we can do big things together.

• NotreDan - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM

‘Tis True.

• steeldominance - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Im sure you will Dan. When Golson loses us a few games and gets benched, I can come back and say HA TOLD YOU SO! And then all of you homers can run and hide. Again, hope I am wrong and hope Golson wins the Heisman. Just dont see it happening.

16. nudeman - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM

If I were to rate the clowns who occasionally visit here it would go like this:

Top Shelf: sinister and Harv. Sinister is an unapologetic ND hater, was occasionally clever and once in a while would even engage quasi intelligently. Harv … made me laugh with his roll dam tide sign off and frankly I took it as a sign that ND is back when a Bama guy trolled our site.

Premium lager: steel … doesn’t appear to have much game and his stuff is decidedly weak.
    So he doesn’t get under my skin, personally. A non factor.

Bottom of the barrel / well liquor: fnc sits here all by himself. Unoriginal, inconsistent and poorly informed. One day says ND will only win 3 games in 2013 and when Kiel, a qb whos never played, leaves he tells us theyll go 6-6. An obvious troll who reminds me of A-Rod in October: tries too hard and has a tight sphincter.

• bernhtp - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I was hoping that a 12-0 season would have attracted a higher quality of troll. Unfortunately, while the quantity certainly increased, the quality didn’t. Maybe Keith should start recruiting. Where is the big board for the top-rated trolls. I hope they don’t all go to the SEC boards.

• papadec - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:11 AM

oh bern – bern – bern – trolls be trolls. There is only one quality level – low. They live under the bridge and the only time they get a bath – is when the tide rolls in, and we know that tide is oil spill & antler spray contaminated. But, bless their twisted souls – they are our own, loyal trolls. Kinda like kid brothers – a pain in the butt most of the time – but ya gotta love ‘em ’cause they’re family.

• bernhtp - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM

While the average quality level of trolls is certainly poor, there is a distribution in everything. I was hoping that this board would attract their highest caliber.

• dillonbigred - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM

While the troll quality here is not high, it could be worse. On Bleacher Report there are some pathetic souls, including a few that make the same inane comment on article after article about ND. I guess when it comes to love for your team or hate for another, some people lose all reasoning. I think the oddest part of the Ricky’s Rant video on Youtube are the posted comments of Bama fans who think the video is showing a true Tide fan. There is little embarrassment or shame. I don’t think it is possible to rationally engage with these people.

• bearcatirishfan - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Bern accidentally thumbs downed your comment above was unintentional ipad huh

• ndbcs2013 - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Whatever happened to loadofwash? That guy took the short bus to the site…

• nudeman - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Forgot all about the loadster. He’s def in the rock gut category. Like a bad Bud Light Lime that’s been warmed up and cooled off about 10 times. Maybe not flat, but it would almost be better off if it was. Warm glass too.

• NotreDan - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM

LOL. I we picked up think the loadster somewhere around the MSU game last year. I believe I challenged him to a fight at a local bar, oops. (I live near Ann Arbor and Lansing).

I got banned from the MSU blog “The Only Colors” under like 5 different aliases, and then they whacked my IP address, and then I created 2 more on my phone using 3G and they finally hit that one too.

• steeldominance - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Hey, I like Premium Lager! I dont try to get under anybodys skin. I just post how I feel and if ya dont like it, whine and cry and call me a troll. I will still watch every ND game, root them on as a fan and try to attend 2 games a year.

17. jerseyshorendfan1 - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM

The thing that gives me hope with respect to this whole Gunner situation is the fact that he was, I believe, the top rated drop back QB in the nation back when he was recruited. Now, he’s got to transfer because he likely wouldn’t see much action this year. How great is that? I mean, if your team is going to have problems, these are the kind to have.

On another note, I’d like to ask what everybody thinks of our chances of getting back to the NC game this season. I seem to recall those in the know weren’t predicting a championship run in 2012, with many of those pundits saying that 2013 looked to be our year. Well, what do you think?

• papadec - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:19 AM

joisey – last year I had my son put $20 on the Irish, at 18-1, when he went to Vegas for Spring break. I gave him $50 to put on the Irish this year – no lines on the BCS championship when he was there, this year. I have been checking with my friends who go on junkets to Vegas, Reno, or even Loughlin (spelling?). If any of them go, they’ll check on the lines & place the bet (I don’t care what the odds are). GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bernhtp - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Barring critical injury, I expect this team to be slightly better than last. Whether it will be as lucky is another question. You obviously need luck in addition to a great team to make it to the big game.

• bearcatirishfan - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM

It’s surviving the let down games like Pitt and byu that determine a season. It’s impossible to predict those like Michigan loosing to Appalachian state a couple of years age (still makes me happy). I said on a different thread the ov under should be 10, 11 with the bowl game. Just don’t know which way the bounces go, what if they called stephon tayler in in ot

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM

bern, you’re right, there is always that x factor, call it luck, call it the way the ball bounces or whatever. We were certainly on the receiving side of it in 2012, not so much in 2011 and you can see the difference it makes. It can be as simple as whether you recover the fumble or whether some greasy Spartan picks it up and runs into your end zone. I hope the pendulum doesn’t swing back for ’13. And papa, hope you win no matter what the odds…..or is it what tho the odds?

18. papadec - Apr 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM

joisey – thanks. I thought about “what tho the odds………” for the post. Opted not to, because I thought that might be too over the top – didn’t want to wake the trolls too early in the year. I don’t know if they have sports books @ Atlantic City. If they do, I’d think about stopping in & visiting relatives in NJ when I’m back in NY this Summer.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Leave it to me to be over the top. My understanding is that there is legislation pending to allow sports betting at a local racetrack right near my house. I would be in heaven if that passed.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Don’t know about AC though. I don’t think they have sports book yet…..I can’t imagine that one getting by me without knowing about it.

• papadec - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Freehold? I lived in Old Towne & Piscataway back in the early 70s when I was working for J&J downtown & @ Baby Products on Rte 9(?). Those were co-op jobs when I was back in college, after the USMC stretch. Some good times.