Irish pick up commitment from OL Sam Mustipher

Apr 16, 2013, 4:49 PM EST

Sam Mustipher

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly added another future piece to the depth chart with the commitment of Maryland offensive lineman Sam Mustipher. A four-star prospect with an elite set of offers, Mustipher became the Irish’s sixth verbal commitment to the ’14 recruiting class.

At 6-foot-4, 285-pounds, Mustipher projects to be an interior lineman for the Irish, joining Jimmy Byrne as a potential guard or center for the Irish. Even with a big offensive line class, Harry Hiestand’s troops expect to add at least two more linemen to the fold, a pretty nice reinvestment to a position struggling with depth this spring.

There’s plenty to like about Mustipher. First let’s look at an offer list that includes Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Stanford and a slew of other top programs. Then there’s his off-field profile — a reported 4.59 grade-point average at Good Counsel High School in Olney, Maryland. Credit Scott Booker for closing the deal with Mustipher, getting the Irish into Good Counsel, a top football school in the D.C. area.

High school coach Bob Milloy had this to say about Mustipher’s decision to choose Notre Dame.

“Say what you want, Notre Dame is still Notre Dame,” Milloy told the Washington Post. “If you’re from a Catholic high school, it’s just a little bit different. It’s hard to put that in words, but it’s just a little bit different.

“He’s our poster child. We’re as pleased as we can be that he made a great choice and that he can be devoid of all those distractions and just concentrate on Good Counsel this fall. That’s good news to me.”

Mustipher himself acknowledges the perfect fit.

“I’m feeling great,” Mustipher told Rivals.com. “It just felt like this was the perfect fit for my family and me. I talked about it with my family and coaches and, following these college visits, we just felt like it was the most appropriate place for me to attend college.”

1. goirishgo - Apr 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM

“…the most appropriate place for me to attend college.”

Anyone else catch that his quote doesn’t reference football? I like this kid already.

2. yaketyyacc - Apr 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM

just keeps getting better and better. welcome and a good point goirishgo.

3. 25kgold - Apr 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM

With all of these major schools (Oregon, Auburn to name just a few) being found out by the NCAA b/c of cheating and/or placed on probation–I can’t help but think that ND will rise back to the top just for being a clean program! It all works out in the end boys! -Go Irish!

• dickasman - Apr 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM

One thing to be very proud of is that compared to other top programs, we run a relatively clean program. I mean these other guys they all cheat n bounce to nfl before the slap on the wrist. Scumbags.

4. dickasman - Apr 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Thank god offensive linemen don’t get their girlfriends friends pregnant and never transfer? Riddle me this…I mean they get laid as much as the next fat guy, don’t they?

• bernhtp - Apr 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I understand Lennay is available again. She likely won’t get pregnant.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I liked it bern.

• mtflsmitty - Apr 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Bern, You’re better than that. Low brow. Pedestrian. Not clever. Come on, man. Let Dick be Dick. Dance with the girl who brought ya. (No, Dick. Not one of your hookers.)

5. dudeacow - Apr 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I love the size of the OL guys we’re picking up… last year Sam would be a tackle on our team because he would be one of the taller guys. Now we’re pick up 6′ 6″, 6′ 7″ guys, this is awesome.
    And a 4.59 GPA??? He should use this for an advantage on the football field.

DL: HEY YOU GONNA BE DEAD AFTER THIS PLAY YAH YAH.
    Sam: What is the square root of an inversely multiplied logarithmic allegorical fractional trigonometric binary algorithm?
    DL: *passes out*
    Sam: And that would be pancake block number 43 for the day…

6. 25kgold - Apr 17, 2013 at 12:04 AM

We’re #19…http://finance.yahoo.com/news/25-college-diplomas-

Feels good to be on the list! Wonder where bama ranks??

7. irish4006 - Apr 17, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Looks like an RKG to me. Welcome to the family, young man!

8. 1historian - Apr 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Games are won up front – Get 5 OLs in this class.

Then you’re up to speed and after that you can recruit 4 OLs per year and red-shirt them. This is good.

DLs – same thing.

May I point out something to my younger colleagues?

It is this – we are coming into annum #4 of the reign of Kelly. We have ALREADY reached the point where anything less than a10 win season will be regarded as a disappointment.

NOTRE DAME IS BACK.

9. thefightinfloyds - Apr 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I will congratulate him when he puts on the Irish jersey, until then it’s nice to hear.

10. 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM

or just a little bit pregnant anyway

11. kdolive - May 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM

This is one of my former students at Sudbrook Middle. Awesome family. I teach his kid bro now. When we got back from France, I went up to shake hands with him at Reagan National before we parted ways. It would be our final good-bye. Instead of the hand shake which I thought would make him more comfortable, he gave me a big hug. My friend and colleague Hayes walked away with me as I choked back tears. Students like these are rare, though I can say I’ve been blessed to have many wonderful students. This kid is 100% respect and by the end of 8th grade could speak French quite well. I hope Notre Dame knows what a magnificent person they have in Sam. I wish him all of the best. He stands out as one who makes teaching worth it.