Golson learning to lead

Apr 18, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT

Discover BCS National Championship - Notre Dame v Alabama Getty Images

We tackled the important role Everett Golson plays in the offense’s evolution earlier in the week. But a snippet from “Strong and True,” the one-hour behind the scenes look airing before the Blue-Gold game, gives you an interesting look at here the Irish’s starting quarterback is in his development as a team leader.

No question, Golson is more comfortable this spring. There’s also no question that he’s a different cat. You won’t see Golson on Twitter. You don’t see the potential breakout national player working to enhance his Q-rating.

While we have seen a more comfortable Golson in snippets from practice video, and read about his maturation in reports filed by those that have seen spring workouts first hand, you can see from this clip that the Irish’s starting quarterback is still in the process of becoming the vocal leader many expect from the face of the Irish offense.

***

***

That maturity and leadership comes as Golson realizes last season — a year spent learning and surviving — is behind him.

“This team isn’t the 2012 Notre Dame football team,” Golson said this week. “It’s a ‘nother year, and a whole ‘nother group of guys. Leaders are going to have to step up and lead this team.”

1. canadianndfan - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

What do you think the chances are this season after getting the crowd fired up hearing “Shipping up to Boston” they will break out with a little Billy Joel as Golson trots on the field? lol

“Sing us a song, you’re the piano man
    Sing us a song tonight
    Well, we’re all in the mood for a melody
    And you’ve got us feelin’ alright”

• 808raiderinparadise - Apr 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Nice, but I would edit Billy Joel …

“Win us a title, you’re the Heis Man
      Win us a title this year
      After last year, you’ve got us feelin’ alright”

• 808raiderinparadise - Apr 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM

***3rd line

“Well we’re all in the moof for championship”

• 1historian - Apr 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Do I, or anyone else really need to tell you how stupefying BAD that is? By ‘that’ I mean all 4 lines.

2. dickasman - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

It’s not that hard these days. Show up, do your job, Don’t get anybody pregnant, don’t do drugs, don’t rob or rape anybody and don’t raise taxes or allow gay marriage. union or whatever is fine. You got your self a leader.

• dickasman - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Oh and don’t write stupid stuff on Facebook or twitter and don’t lie.

3. dudeacow - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

The cool thing about Golson is that he will most likely leave ND being the career leader in passing yards and starts won. The record is held by Quinn with 11,762 yards. He needs to throw for 3,000 yards the next 3 years. If in the next three years he only throws 2,000 yards per year, he will still be in the top 3! And he already has 11 (technically 10, I guess) starts won under his belt, and since ND is becoming elite again, he will have 40+ wins by the time he’s done! Part of this is timing, I guess. Clausen was a better QB but took two years to reach 10 wins!

• andy44teg - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Time will tell with Golson as to how good a QB he’s going to be. But I disagree with you on Clausen being better. Part of being an elite Quarterback is having the ability to lead your team, and I just never got that vibe from Clausen. Prima dona, me me me, as long as I throw for 300+ yards I had a good game is more or less the vibe I got from him.

• dudeacow - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I understand where you’re coming from, and Clausen’s inability to lead may have been in part why they lost so many games. But I’m talking about raw physical tools. Golson is very athletic, has a strong arm, is mobile, and pretty accurate. I think the only way he will be considered elite-ish, though, is if he leads ND to a championship, if he throws over 68%, if he has a 25+ to 9- td/int ratio and if he makes some good improv plays Johnny Football style. That’s a lot of ifs. Clausen threw for 3,722 yds, 68%, 28/4 ratio. See what I mean by Clausen being better? But hey, Golson had a much better first year, so who knows what will happen.

• andy44teg - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM

dude,
        I get what you’re saying..i really do..but in today’s standards of labelling QB’s, one of the major criteria is winning. You can throw all the stats out there all day long but I’d rather have Tom Brady over Dan Marino any day of the week.

• nudeman - Apr 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

The Golson/Clausen comparison is a fair debate, but I’ve always felt Jimmy got a bum rap.

Those were absolutely miserable teams Weis put together with no D.
        Clausen’s last year, despite the crap he was surrounded with, was one of the great QB years I’ve ever seen.
        24/4 TD/INT ratio? That’s incredible.

Yes, he was cocky. He was no choir boy but I don’t think he ever got into trouble of any sort. I hope he manages to have a decent NFL career.

• dickasman - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Only thing I count are championships. To me tony rice was better nd qb than clausen. When you say clausen I say ostrich. When you say tony rice I say champion.

• heartofgoldandblue - Apr 18, 2013 at 4:36 PM

As much as I love Tony Rice I think it’s a little different in college, 120 teams and only 4 years to do it. So you’d take Trent Dilfer over Marino as well?

• nudeman - Apr 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Clausen was WAY more talented as a passer. That’s not even close.
        Rice was a better overall athlete. Also not close.

Rice had the benefit of playing for much better teams and for a much better coach. The talent he was surrounded with was exceptional – Watters, Derek Brown, Mark Green, Culver (may he RIP), etc. And the D was stellar.

To his credit, he got it done. That sideline sprint for a 50+ yard TD against USC is burned into my memory forever. But he was asked to do very little with his arm. I bet he didn’t throw much more than 150 passes that year.

But that ’88 team could have won with Clausen too.

• 1historian - Apr 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

When you – or anyone else – mentions Tony Rice I automatically think of 2 things.

1) The guitar player.

2) The 1994 BG game. I was standing in line to get a ticket to the game and some rich looking white lady called attention to the fact that Tony Rice was standing behind me to get a ticket. She immediately made a HUGE deal of it, which was very embarrassing to Mr. Rice, but he was gracious about it, posed for some pictures, signed some autographs, and then it was over.

But he still had to pay for a ticket.

Stay classy.

• dickasman - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Nude, I have to gaysexually disagree with you there. Clausen lacked a certain kahones to be a champion. After Holtz yelled at him, he probably would’ve transferred to Cincinnati.

• dickasman - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Heart of gold, yes, I’d rather have one meaningful championship under my belt vs having 08353672542637484846 worthless yards.

• dickasman - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I’m a quality over quantity guy. Smoked too much Mexican dirt weed. Once I got ahold of indoor hydroponic, I said no mas to dirtweed.

4. bearcatirishfan - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Golsen also has something clauses never did, a defense.

5. whodabigdog - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I am amazed at how big EG looks now. I saw him 2 years ago at the blue gold game and he seemed so small. I was thinking to my self that I can take this guy and I,m 50years old 5 foot2 and fat! Our strength coach is definitely earning his money. Heading to the game saturday for my spring fix. GO IRISH!!!

6. oldschoollyons - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM

As you say, Keith, Everett is “learning to lead.” His becoming more vocal and actually leading the team is mostly a wish at this point. It is plain in his interviews that he is not an outspoken or forward or even articulate guy. Just the opposite: He is quiet and unassuming and clearly appears to be more comfortable in the background than in the foreground. In his interviews, he always seems as though he can’t wait for the speaking ordeal to be over. He usually has two or three canned comments to make. After he says each of them a couple of times, he looks like a deer in headlights.

With good reason, Kelly and Martin want him to take charge of the team — at least when he is in the huddle and behind center. That is why Kelly says every so often, although not very emphatically, that Golson is “starting to improve” at being more vocal and “more” of a leader. If he starts to say it, maybe it will become true. We can all hope Everett continues to improve as a player and, particularly, in his understanding of the game, recognition of blitzes and ability to change plays or assignments based on what he sees from defenses. As for leadership, let’s be patient. That will take a while.

7. 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

There must be an unwritten rule that any former player can contact the ticket office or sports information office for any game and get a free ticket. That being said, Tony Rice was such a decent, humble young man when he played (as he is today) that I’m guessing it never would occurred to him to cash in on the goody or that he shouldn’t pay for a ticket.

• dickasman - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM

You can take a man outta da hood can’t take da hood outta da man.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

i don’t follow.

what does Rice paying his own way have to do with the “hood?” or are you just typing gibberish as a symptom of withdrawal from narcotics and prostitutes?