Must See TV: Strong and True

Apr 22, 2013, 5:13 PM EST

TJ Jones Reuters

For those worried that the Irish weren’t taking the Blue-Gold game all that seriously, tuning in one hour before the scrimmage would have alleviated any worry that Notre Dame didn’t take the spring seriously.

The NBC Sports Network aired the most recent behind-the-scenes look at Notre Dame football, with a one-hour special called “Strong and True.” It picked up at a really interesting place to start — after the Irish’s embarrassing loss to Alabama.

You get a chance to see the Irish pick up the pieces and begin to build their 2013 team. That includes a look at the workouts called Camp Kelly, life as a student-athlete, and Amir Carlisle’s eventful spring, with his heartbreaking collarbone injury intricately detailed.

If you missed the show because you tuned in late or had something else to do, UND.com has decided to post the special in its entirety to YouTube. Do yourself a favor and give it a look.

***

1. bernhtp - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I saw this before the BG game and was impressed with its quality and message. It was AAA Notre Dame promotion/propaganda. Extremely effective. The cinematography, scenes, messages, etc. were all spot on. Any recuit’s family seeing this would want their kid to go to Notre Dame.

I found the segment on Amir Carlisle to be especially poignant. He really comes across as a great kid with a great attitude, especially given the circumstance. The call to his dad in the coaches meeting showed a deep empathy.

2. 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I am with you bern. The strong and true was fantastic. Content, production value, everything. The coaches meeting when they found out Carlisle was injured was poignant, if not a little heavy on the wannabe reality television thing. I think t had to bleep out a “f$ck” from one of the coaches, but who could blame a bad word or two. It wasn’t like they were throwing basketballs at kids heads or anything.

3. dickasman - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I bet this would look great on a jumbotron prior to home games….oh wait!

• bernhtp - Apr 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Don’t worry, they can project it really big through the electronic field turf due any time now.

I imagine that Notre Dame will adopt more technology in its stadium – jumbotron(s) and field turf – but there is a certain purity in the gameday experience that is currently there. I’ve been to a lot of other stadiums in the past decade and frankly nothing compares to what we have at Notre Dame. And it’s not just me – a Notre Dame alum – but others I’ve been with that come from other places and I get to see their reaction to the ND magic for the first time. Everyone thinks it’s special.

One piece of positive technology added this past year was micing the band and amplifying it through the new sound system. A little less Crazy Train and a bit more ND Band made a big difference. Very cool.

Practical considerations will militate for some form of field turf, but I will enjoy the grass in the meantime. When they do eventually put in some form of jumbotron, I’m sure the powers that be will make a tasteful implementation without the crass commercialism and garish displays I’ve seen everywhere else.

4. steincj36 - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I haven’t seen Adam Sargent since I left campus many years ago. We lived two rooms away Sophomore year. I knew about his accident, but seeing what he has done with his life reminded me just how powerful Notre Dame is. It’s an amazing story, and probably should have been the whole hour, well, maybe the Corey Robinson catch mixed in there too. And Louis Nix at Camp Kelly.