Irish add commitment from TE Nic Weishar

Apr 24, 2013, 7:07 AM EST

Nic Weishar

Notre Dame added another prospect to their  2014 recruiting class, with Illinois tight end Nic Weishar pledging his commitment yesterday. Weishar had a nice list of offers that included Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Wisconsin and others.

Weishar, who hails from the south side of the Chicagoland area and Marist High, has visited Notre Dame multiple times and was offered by the Irish staff a year ago. He decided to pull the trigger on his commitment after a flurry of moves on the recruiting carousel started a run on tight ends.

“I saw that Ian (Bunting) gave Michigan his verbal it definitely made me think about moving up my decision a bit,” Weishar told EdgyTim.com. “I had Notre Dame, Michigan and Northwestern as my favorites but again the vibe at Notre Dame and the overall mix always had them in front for me. Again like the other kids I didn’t want to be standing and watching a chance of a lifetime pass me by so I talked it over with my family and I called the coaches at Notre Dame and gave them my commitment.”

Before we get talk about what Weishar brings to the table, it’s interesting to track the dominoes falling. Earlier in the day, Irish target Jeb Blazevich committed (as expected) to Georgia. With Bunting, who had Notre Dame in his finalists, choosing Michigan, Weishar was in a place where he wanted to grab one of the few open seats on the bus, before it leaves without him.

That said, Weishar is far from a consolation prize. The 6-foot-5, 220-pounder played basically as a jumbo wide receiver last season, showing solid route running ability with nice hands and better than expected speed and feet. (Here’s a good link to a highlight video.)

The challenge will likely be getting the relatively thin Weishar to add the bulk necessary to play tight end, though that didn’t stop the Irish coaching staff from making a move on Mike Heuerman, another guy who clearly needed to get bigger. He’ll join a depth chart that might still be growing, with the Irish still chasing high end prospects like Tyler Luatua and Mark Andrews. All three players that fit the fairly unconventional mold Notre Dame is recruiting at that position.

Weishar is the seventh commitment to join the 2014 recruiting class.

***

1. yaketyyacc - Apr 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM

welcome Weishar. you are joining at the right time. like being recruited by the Union Army, just before the Battle of Gettysburg. The South had had the run of things back then, but the “TIDE” now as then is about to turn, and just as it was the Irish recruits in the Union Army that effected the demise of the South, it will be the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame that will end the SEC”s dominance.

• ndgoldandblue - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Man, would I love to see that. I’m still a young man, but I’ve already made my bucket list, and it only contains one item: Seeing the Fighting Irish win a national championship. It doesn’t even have to be in person. I’d be perfectly content to watch them hoist the trophy from the couch in my den.

• nudeman - Apr 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM

yak
      Nice historical reference.
      Saban is obviously Gen’l Lee; who will he designate as Pickett?
      And post Gettysburg, who will be our Sherman, burning a path to the sea?

2. stedward - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Keep the awesome TE streak alive

3. ndrocks2 - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Big time numbers last two years in high school. Should be a good one after a red shirt year to beef up a bit.

4. dudeacow - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Why have him beef up? We should use him as a tall WR and pick up Tyler Luatua as our TE (he has us in his top 3). Oh, and Keith, are the floodgates opening? You called it.

5. 25kgold - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Just heard jon bon jovi’s son will try to walk on at football this fall for Notre Dame! Should be fun to watch!

• nudeman - Apr 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Unless he’s an adopted son from, oh, let’s say Nigeria, I don’t see a great future on the gridiron at CB for this young man.

• ibleedirish - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Lol. Cue the “How dare you bring race into a cornerback discussion?!” comments. Nude, I’ll save your fingers from typing your usual response: “Can anyone count the white cornerbacks in the NFL and Div. 1 college ball for me please?”

Insert crickets noises here….

• bernhtp - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM

No, he’s a biological son. They’ve been Notre Dame fans for quite some time. He’s supposed to be a decent athlete, though there’s a big gulf between decent and making a material contribution on a Notre Dame football field. My guess is that his abilities lie somewhere far closer to Nate Montana than Rudy, but between them they likely fall.

It’s still a good story.

• dudeacow - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

He’s Jay Hayes teammate and close friend, not to mention that he’s a star on the football field and at playing lacrosse. So yeah, an athletic kid who plays lacrosse’s most physical position. If Will Salvi was able to make the football team, Jon Bon Jovi’s son will be able to.

Oh, and ibleedirish, Bennett Jackson is white.

• nudeman - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:57 PM

ibleedirish
        Not just a white CB, but a white CB from Jersey.
        Name me the last one of those.

I’ll take my answer on the air.

• ibleedirish - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Jackson is half black dude

• ibleedirish - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Nude, you do know I was agreeing with you right? Not sure from your response…

• nudeman - Apr 24, 2013 at 5:35 PM

ibleed
        Yes, I felt the love
        Thanks dogg

6. 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I give this kid plenty of credit for subjecting himself to living in the spotlight. If he thought it was life under a microscope being a rock star’s child, he’s going to really know what it’s like being a rock star’s child playing football at ND, walk-on or not.

7. jerseyshorendfan1 - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I heard he was wanted……dead or alive.

• yllibnosredna - Apr 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM

More like a “towel boy….WANTED….. to rub on their thighs.”

8. smartestjones - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM

From his perspective, I am pretty sure it is now or never. He isn’t gonna live forever, you know? He just wants to live while he’s alive. It’s his life. Good luck to him.

• ibleedirish - Apr 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

brilliant

9. papadec - Apr 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I don’t give a rat, flying, **** what color the kid is, at what position, or how many of any color, play any position, at the college OR pro level – does he bring skill, attitude & desire to the game? That’s all I care about. He must have some of that if he’s planning on being a walk-on.

• nudeman - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM

The whole thing was a jab at political correctness that we all live with
      No one here cares what color anyone is.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM

So long as he is not red. No communists allowed.

• dickasman - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

First of all, love All the Bon jovi jokes, lol. Second of All, spare me the I don’t care what color bs because race does matter and only the closet racists would say that to cover up their iwn racistism. Some races run faster. Some races get better grades. I can’t recall last white guy that ran 4.27 foty.

• andy44teg - Apr 25, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Ryan Swope – TAMU WR ran 2nd fastest 40 at the combine @ 4.34

10. fw190wuerger - Apr 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Welcome to Mr. Weishar. Unless he was doing lots of homework last night, I think it is safe to say he noticed another ND TE get a great spot in the draft.

ND & TEs = TDs and GDPs (Good Draft Picks).