Lewis-Moore’s draft selection cuts into lunch break

Apr 28, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Wake Forest v Notre Dame Getty Images

During Kapron Lewis-Moore‘s Notre Dame career, the six-foot-four, 300-pound defensive end had his share of bad timing.

An injury during the 2011 season cut short his junior year just as the Irish needed him most. After an impressive final season, an ACL injury during the biggest game of his career threw his draft potential into question. So it’s only fitting that when he finally was selected with the 200th pick of the NFL Draft, Lewis-Moore wouldn’t even be at his own draft party to celebrate.

With a group of friends assembled in Chicago to celebrate Lewis-Moore’s selection, the veteran defensive end was across the street at a sandwich shop when he received a call from the Baltimore Ravens’ general manager Ozzie Newsome.

“I was getting ready to order at the sandwich shop, trying to make up my mind what I wanted, when my phone rang,” Lewis-Moore told the South Bend Tribune on Saturday. “It was a Baltimore area code. I’m like, ‘I better take this.’ “

The call from the Ravens was a reward well deserved for Lewis-Moore, who has battled his way through five years in South Bend. From starting on a group that was one of the worst defenses in Irish history, to anchoring a defensive front that was historically stout, KLM, or “Old Man Kap” as some teammates call him, was beginning to lose faith before he was selected.

“In the middle of the sixth I was losing a little hope,” Lewis-Moore said. “I was like, ‘Hey, let me go get a sandwich and whatever happens happens.’ I saw the Baltimore area code and I was like, ‘Woah.’”

Only twelve weeks removed from ACL surgery, it’s the type of positive reaffirmation needed for Lewis-Moore, who won’t be rushed back.

“I know the knee set me back a little bit, but hey, you can only control what you can control,” Lewis-Moore said. “I’m rehabbing, working my butt off to get right again. I’m just really happy for the opportunity.”

1. 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM

go get ‘em kap! that is definitely a team, a town and a coach that will appreciate your spirit in addition to your talent.

2. bearcatirishfan - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Team no abs go get em

3. kiopta1 - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM

ND gets 5* RB Elijah Hood.

• ndrocks2 - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM

number one rated running back in the nation – awesome get for the program.

4. 25kgold - Apr 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Hood is in the House! Go Irish!

5. 25kgold - Apr 29, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Brain Kelly = Lou Holtz 2.0

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Apr 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM

When they made Lou, they broke the mold. I undestand the sentiment, but Lou is so much more than a football coach. To be honest, he was probably only a “good” football coach, but the fact that he IS A GREAT MAN put him in that upper echelon of CFB coaches.

• papadec - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:23 AM

idrather – I’d have to say Lou was more than “good”. I felt he was outstanding at making in-game changes & motivating the players to perform at higher levels.

6. idratherbeinsouthbend - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Hood looks like a quality back, Rivals #1 (5 stars), ESPN #49 (4 stars), but i just looked at a bunch of his highlights and there are a few things that i find curious…

First, this guy is running through holes that i could drive a bus through. Second, he’s running in a old school Big Ten style offense…dives and veers…the play calls are telling him run throught the 3 hole or the 2 hole, etc. etc. There is very little east/west running with this kid, which i like.

But still kinda makes me wonder how a kid like this transaltes to the BK offense. IDK, maybe running style isn’t even a consideration when you’re recruiting a kid that puts up monster numbers like this.

• ibleedirish - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I agree with your assessment, I would just add that I think we have enough guys the next couple years who can juke and do some east west running i.e Carlisle, Bryant, Folston. Hood should fill that need of a bruiser with some speed that can really wear a defense down. Looks like a good one, and its looking like Keith was right: good foundation set with this new class, and now the bigger dominoes are falling.

7. papadec - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I was kinda disappointed when I saw that Sony Michel committed to GA, the other day – but Elijah has taken the sting off that hurt. Welcome to ND Elijah.

• bernhtp - Apr 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I am happy we got Hood instead of Michael.