Irish add commitment of OT Quenton Nelson

May 2, 2013, 5:08 AM EDT

Quenton Nelson

Just a few days after adding one of the top running backs in the country, the Notre Dame coaching staff accepted the verbal commitment of New Jersey offensive lineman Quenton Nelson. The 6-foot-5, 285-pound offensive tackle had offers from Alabama, Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Stanford and a slew of others.

Nelson joins a growing offensive line class that includes projected guards Jimmy Byrne and Sam Mustipher. A Top 100 type of recruit, Nelson just won a pair of MVP awards on the recruiting circuit, impressing just about everyone at Rivals and Nike events, while looking like one of the elite prospects at his position in the country.

For those that enjoy the deep dig that comes along with evaluating high school offensive linemen in shorts and t-shirts, here’s Rivals.com’s recent review of Nelson’s performance at the New Jersey combine.

If there were any doubters about Quenton Nelson’s skills, he made them believers last weekend. Last year, Nelson still had some baby fat on him and some people questioned his physicality. On Saturday, Nelson showed up weighing about the same but he had slimed down and added muscle weight. It seemed like that new strength increased his confidence and made him more of a finisher.

Nelson’s exceptionally quick feet made it nearly impossible for any defensive end to beat him to the outside or counter to the inside. His strong, wide base helped him stop any bull-rush attempt by a defensive lineman. The most impressive thing about Nelson was his patience. He took a big kick step on the snap of the ball and waited to the defender to try to make a move. Nelson was able to slide his feet to get in front of the defender and time his punches almost perfectly. Nelson turned in a very impressive performance at Saturday’s camp.

With nine commitments, the Irish coaching staff has picked up some momentum heading into the summer. Just as importantly, with plenty of time until next February, Harry Hiestand’s troops have added another key building block, giving them the opportunity to be incredibly picky with any additional offensive line targets.

Nelson made his commitment official on Twitter and then went to work recruiting other elite prospects.

***

1. bernhtp - May 2, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Looks like a great commitment. He comes from my old stomping grounds. I dated several girls from RBC.

• mtflsmitty - May 2, 2013 at 6:53 AM

How many of those girls were tipping the scales at 285, Bern?

• bernhtp - May 2, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I only went for the babes – tall, thin, athletic. The Jersey shore had lots of beautiful women.

• bernhtp - May 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Tough crowd. Dick gets more thumbs up for coked-up trannys than I do with hot beach babes on the Jersey shore. To each his own.

• dickasman - May 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Schmitty, you’re being too kind, 285? Are you sharting me? Lets start at 385 I watch some that Maury povich episodes on beached whales of NJ.

• dickasman - May 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Don’t be jealous babe. Welcome to my world homey, now you know what I’m dealin with. Shake ya ass, but watch yourself Shake ya ass, show me what you workin with

• dickasman - May 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Bernski, dating don’t count. How many did you BLAST or just fingerblast? Personally, I count fingerblastin as a blast because when you’re all coked up and coming down, you’re just exhausted, neck hurts, shoulders hurts, and you just cant get it up and dont want to have another borderline heartattack from poppin viagara but you know you’ve got to finish the job and that’s where I thank god for my fingers, sometimes, my entire hand. Yeah, I count it but like you said, tough crowd, some might not count that.

• dickasman - May 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM

So I’m trying to to figure you out bern. Really confused. Then just exactly when did you turn gay?

• dickasman - May 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Don’t worry bern, Asman to the rescue. I will shield you from all the thumbdowns! Here I am priks, down me b!tches!!!

2. mtflsmitty - May 2, 2013 at 6:50 AM

If I’m not mistaken, that makes eight OL recruits in the ’13 & ’14 classes. Considering the frequency of five years players along the O line that makes 20 OL a team collects on the roster if they maintain that pace. May seem like a lot, but proportionately just a tad higher than the 5/22 starting positions. With the high rate of injury at the position, we need ‘em.

The quality we are bringing on board since HH arrived has been outstanding. And the older guys are developing too (think Mike Golic). Makes me wonder why HH had such a bad rap at TN.

Finally, I have been unwilling to watch the replay of the ass-kicking we received at the hands of Bama. But the memory of the gaping holes thier OL created for Lacy is seared into my memory. The quality of the guys we are bringing in will allow as to compete near the same level. Now, if only ND could do away with those pesky classes HH could really get on par with Bama.

• dickasman - May 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

What about the deer antler sprays? We NEED the deer antler sprays I say!!! Personally, I’d plug the deer antler sprays for faster absorption to give that much more needed edge

• 1historian - May 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM

If we bring in 5 more offensive linemen in this next class we should be able to redshirt at least 4 of them, unless of course some of them are too good to keep off the field, which is a problem I can live with.

Same with the defense – you can NEVER have too many big uglies on either side of the line.

• mtflsmitty - May 3, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Having a brain fart here…

Redshirting a player counts against the scholarship limits, right? Just protects eligibility for the player, yes? If so, five more on top of the eight we already have would put a pretty big dent in our scholarship #s. What’s the normal number of OL a team will carry?

• nudeman - May 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Funny … when BK brought Harry on (from TN) the rap was he couldn’t recruit. From all I’ve read the kids love him; parents too.

Maybe the most underrated asst.

3. gmenfan1982 - May 2, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Love seeing guys from jersey playing r the Irish. That’s my home state!

4. yogihilt - May 2, 2013 at 7:58 AM

“………….and then went to work recruiting other elite prospects”. Nice

5. jerseyshorendfan1 - May 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Happy day for me……..another Jersey recruit and this one’s from my alma mater. As for the quality of the girls at the shore, why do you think I live here? Remember, Snooky was just on a show called Jersey Shore, she wasn’t a local. Hard to resist those RBC Casey girls bern!

• bernhtp - May 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM

So you went to RBC? I spent a bunch of time there since I went to CBA and then Notre Dame.

My misspent youth was on the Jersey Shore, and no, it was nothing like Snooky et al. It was a blast, but these days it’s a great place to be from and no longer paying taxes there.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - May 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Yup, I was a Casey. My best friend went to CBA his freshman year but transferred to RBC after much begging/pleading with his parents. There is just no substitute for the Catholic girls’ school uniform. As to your second point, Hurricane Sandy made it hard to live here but the taxes make it exceedingly difficult to stay put. We have the highest net taxes per capita and the highest car insurance rates in the country, so there must be a reason why so many people stay. For me, I can be on the beach in two minutes or on a horse farm in 10 minutes. NYC 1 hr, Phila 90 mins. What’s not to love?

• bernhtp - May 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Yep, I’ve been into a number of those uniforms ;-)

Great area to visit and a bunch of amazing memories. So what is the prognosis for the Seabrite area’s recovery from Sandy? I was thinking about visiting a few old friends this summer.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - May 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM

People are working hard trying to get ready for the summer but it won’t be all the way back for another year or two. Sea Bright will probably never be the same. Sandy Hook is still closed off to cars. Some of the private clubs have planned openings for mid to late June. We’ll see.

• nudeman - May 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Bern with an “I dated girls” claim.
        Cmon man … Uncle Nude knows better.
        (Said with great affection, Bern. But not too much)

• bernhtp - May 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I appreciate the great affection, but especially the “not too much” given that it comes from an old guy calling himself nudeman. The visual is too disturbing.

6. stedward - May 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM

It’s good to see our recruits continuing to try to add to their class like last year. It can make a big difference like class Ole Miss just landed.

Watching high school offensive line film must be so hard for coaches because it is hard to tell the difference between someone who is manhandling tiny boy defenders and someone who really is elite talent. When he gets up to the linebacker level, he just has to breath on some of these guys to pancake them. He looks like a great pickup.

7. bb90grad - May 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM

According to Rivals he slimed down. Haven’t thought about the Ghostbusters in a while…

Had to make the arrest before the other Spelling Police tried to steal the collar.

• 4horsemenrideagain - May 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

i saw that too and wondered if by “slimed down” rivals meant he had just start acting really sketchy, you know, driving a camaro, that sort of thing.

8. dudeacow - May 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Since your recruiting article 9 days ago when you said that the floodgates might open soon, 3 players in the top 10 at their position have committed to ND. Nice call, Keith.

9. 1historian - May 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Keith – You da man!!

10. bearcatirishfan - May 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I don’t mean this as a negative post so don’t go getting all worked up.
    It seems like these kids are announcing so early, I mean have they been to junior prom yet? (dickasman insert prophylactic joke here, ah the mystique of prom night). Kinda feels like these kids are rushed these days.

• heisenbyrg - May 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Eh, I don’t think so. They’re heading into their senior year of high school; many non-athletes are making decisions in a similar time frame. Might as well lock-in your spot if you know where you want to be. Also, these kids are making GREAT FRIGGIN’ LIFE DECISIONS. It’s a perk of being a fan of ND, Northwestern, Stanford,etc: The kids we root for have made a great decision by any objective measure. High priority on academics, won’t be gray-shirted, etc…

11. bearcatirishfan - May 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Yeah I see your point I guess things are different now, but when I was a junior I had no idea what I wanted to do.

12. jackm1184 - May 3, 2013 at 3:35 AM

As a Manasquan grad turned west coast transplant, love the jersey shore love…

13. padomer - May 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

wow…just stumbled across this at the bottom of an espn.com article about Kobe Bryant’s mother auctioning his high school memorabilia. At the very bottom of the page, they usually have links to around 5 different websites, usually involving some sort of celebrity component in sports – “Khloe Kardashian in see through bikini” or somethin along those lines. Anyways, the link read, “Alabama Star Tweets About Accepting Money in College,” or something like that. The article is on DailyDot.com and goes into how D.J. Fluker says in twiiter – “Yea I took Money in college, cas da first stone.’ And follows up with “Agents be pimpin man, I hadta pimp back.” Next, per his agent, they claim his account was hacked and that he didn’t type those things, and theyve since been deleted and blah blah blah.
    1. why isn’t any other outlet looking into this (as of right now)?
    2. what would reaction be if someone from ND allegedly wrote something along these lines?
    3. if he did, which this article clearly suggests, how dumb can you possibly be?

• nudeman - May 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

That story has been out there for a couple weeks.
      It’s entirely possible his account was hacked.

As far as the ND point … why this bothers anyone is beyond me. The constant whining about people picking on ND, ESPN hating ND etc is pointless.

14. papadec - May 3, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I’m surprised that no one has jumped on the Jack Swarbrick announcement that ND is looking into expanding “The House that Knute….”, and using it for more than 5-6 football games per year. Maybe that is what Keith is researching for his next post – this post is 36 hours old.

• mtflsmitty - May 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

We’re all spoiled. I’ve been back here looking for the next post four or five times. Slow couple days. Bet KA is working on his next series.

I have the Inside The Irish app from the SB Trib. What others sites do you guys like?