Hood working his best to recruit during the Twitter era

May 7, 2013, 6:25 PM EST

NCHSAA Playoffs

Last year, Notre Dame assembled a recruiting class that did most of its own work. Spearheaded by early commitments like James Onwualu, Malik Zaire and Jaylon Smith, the “Irish Mob” built on the camaraderie and closed strong, adding five-star recruits Greg Bryant, Max Redfield and Eddie Vanderdoes.

It looks like the current recruiting class is taking note. And nobody more so than blue-chip running back Elijah Hood. In the days since he joined the fold for the Irish, Hood has put an enormous amount of time into social media, targeting many of the top uncommitted prospects across the country.

A commitment with pompoms is never a bad thing. But when it’s coming from a running back like Hood, that’s another. After running for over 3,300 yards last season, and lighting up the scoreboards with 48 touchdowns, Hood would give any recruiting class a jump by simply pledging his allegiance. But Hood has shown himself to be just as prolific on the internet as he is on the gridiron.

The South Bend Tribune’s Tyler James took stock of Hood’s prolific tweeting, copy and pasting the work Hood has already done on over a dozen top prospects across the country. It has never being easier for athletes to connect, both with the ever-growing camp circuit and the ease of social media.

“It’s all I think about as soon as I’m done with my workouts,” Hood told the South Bend Tribune. “All right, what am I going to do to help my university get better? It’s just my love for ND showing.”

“I think it helps,” Hood continued. “I’ve gotten a couple numbers from some of the recruits and am starting to get personal information on them and just started talking to them and getting their interest built up.”

In an era where the NCAA still isn’t exactly sure what to do with websites like Twitter — or recruiting in general — the leadership of prospective players takes the onus off a coaching staff that always needs to be cognizant about the rules. And while there’s a potential mine field out there with fan interaction always toeing the line between being interested and being a booster, there’s no question that the work players do early paves the way for the class.

“Even though we’re all over the place, we’re coming together and we’re still showing that we can be a strong unit even if we’re from different areas, from different regions, from different backgrounds,” Hood told the Tribune.

“Notre Dame takes everybody. It’s a special place, and I’m just trying to get that across to these guys. I think they’re feeling the message.”

1. jomilly - May 7, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Pretty sure I have read this article prior to this.

• ctfivula - May 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Agree, maybe that’s why we see the “copy and paste” phrase highlighted. Hmmm?

• jomilly - May 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Ctfvula, maybe he and you should try harder.

• steeldominance - May 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM

You probably saw it when I posted the Yahoo article link under the “Faith Restored” comment board about 3 hrs before Keith posted his article. But I don’t take any credit….

2. dickasman - May 7, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I disagree with his last statement. No notre dame does not take everybody but I give him a dummy pass along with my apologies for being from Jersey.

Sound like another transferer to me.

• piratey - May 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

His statement was about religion, race and background…A lot of kids think you have to be Catholic or religious to go to Notre Dame. You don’t…

• shandonagh - May 7, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Well he’s from North Carolina so no need to apologize, just to repent for a stupid statement.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - May 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

That’s just dickasman living up to his screen name again. Secretly, he wishes he was from Jersey so he could fingerblast JWoww and give her the sizzurp.

3. dickasman - May 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM

If I hear he’s researching laser vasectomy, I reserve the right to change my mind.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - May 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

You should get it changed as quickly as possible.

4. nudeman - May 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I still have a hard time believing 48 TDs in one year but I’ve now read it 48 times so I give up.

• bernhtp - May 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM

The competition he faces isn’t very high there, but he really is a beast. I wonder what he can do his senior year. I hope he stays healthy.

• domerhomernc - May 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Uh, might want to check that statement. Independence is here in town, and so is Mallard Creek. It isn’t Mishawaka Penn or Ben Davis or Warren Central, but it’s a cut above your average strength of schedule. He plays against Country Day and Richmond Senior, which are no slouches, and 48 TDs is 48 TDs.

• nudeman - May 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

domerhomer

I rarely watch any of these kids’ films. But I watched his and two things jumped out at me: 1) Hood is a beast; 2) The competition seemed small.

That’s not his fault, and he clearly has performed.
        But he won’t be running over 215 lb DLs when at ND.

• domerhomernc - May 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Yeah, he’s definitely a beast, and yeah, some of the kids were a bit small in comparison, but you’re going to have that in some areas. One of the schools that Catholic plays, Providence, is an exception, as is Ardry Kell, where Shembo matriculated. Still, as fast as he is, he might not have to run over them!

• danirish - May 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM

@domerhomernc! I’m in Indian Trail outside of Charlotte and teach at South Meck. Usually Catholic pummels us for the first game of the year. I’m actually going to cheer (quietly) for Hood this year when we play Catholic.

• thefightinfloyds - May 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Hey, hey…domerhomer givin some love to the Indiana high schools. Im from a little hick school in IN but those schools you mentioned are huge. IN is far and away the top state for college basketball recruits but I dont think many people realize there is some good football at the high schools in IN…well at least the giant schools. Ft Wayne Bishop Luers, Cathedral, Huntington north, Carmel, Speedway, etc …tough schools

5. mtflsmitty - May 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Love the fact that he’s not just verbally committed, but seems to be committed emotionally as well.

I think it’s reasonable to wonder these days if a guy as talented as Hood won’t by lured away by money under the table and promises of zero academic requirements. But his actions just go to show there’s nothing mutually exclusive about being a top talent and still wanting the best for himself in all aspects of his life.

RKG…obviously.

6. fnc111 - May 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Whatever happened to the Bang Bang Notre Dame gang?

• nudeman - May 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Don’t know but badly wish they’d go bang bang on your sorry ass

• jerseyshorendfan1 - May 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

HaHahahaha

7. ajw21 - May 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Nude I gotta ask, who is worse, Rees or FNC? Sorry I couldn’t resist!
    Go Irish!

• nudeman - May 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I am self-banned from talking about what a mediocre QB Rees is.
      So … no comment

• mtflsmitty - May 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM

AJW,

Let’s compare based on what we know to be true:

Rees is one hell of an athlete. He may not be a top 30 college-aged QB on the planet, but he’s a hell of a better athlete than probably every single person posting here. What’s more, he’s a very bright kid with an amazing work ethic. Finally, he’s demonstrated that he’s a young man of character and humility. He’s also a gamer, cool under pressure, and a leader of men. Tommy may not be the savior some hoped he would be. Ok, not even close. But I suspect he’ll be an amazing success at whatever he chooses to do after ND.

FNC is one hell of a jerk. Unquestionably the most unlinked person the ever grace this board. He shows no capacity for critical thought, and rejects even the most reasonable logic. He’s not wity. He’s appears resentful and shallow. He takes great joy in other people’s unhappiness. He only connects with Dickasman; who I am sure has befriended FNC purely for the shock value. I suspect in real life he has many acquaintances, but no friends. Given his offensive personality I suspect he’ll never achieve anything higher than a mid-management level position where all who work under him loath him.

• 4horsemenrideagain - May 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM

“a mid-management level position where all who work under him loath him.”

sort of like Lumberg? ummmm yeah.

8. yogihilt - May 8, 2013 at 8:04 AM

OMG, why, oh why do we keep feeding FNC? Please…. no dislikes, no responses. He will go away if we stop kicking sand.

• mtflsmitty - May 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Agreed. That’s been my policy for 9 months plus. But I don’t think he’ll leave even if completely ignored. So, I offer this:

FNC,

You have posted regularly here that BK will have a 5-loss season in 2013. Don’t try to recast your multiple comments to this effect. I am sure Bern or Historian can easily offer dates when you posted about the 8-5 season BK would give us in 2013. So I have a bet for you.

I will wager that CBK will have fewer than 5-losses on 2013.

The Stakes:
      – If ND football has five or more losses in 2013, as you have predicted multiple times in recent months, I will never post here again under my current name or any other. Never.
      – If ND has fewer than five losses, YOU must never post here ever again under your current name or any other.

Deal? Or will you now add coward to the list of attributes we know about you?

• nudeman - May 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Actually that’s incorrect
        FNC’s most recent prediction is that ND goes 6-6 because their 4th string QB left.
        I suppose if a walk on, 3rd string punter leaves that will become 4-8

9. scottatnd - May 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

we really need an ignore button

10. pacific123ocean - May 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM

This is problem not a popular opinion, but I think Twitter is stupid…and, the young man should spend less time on Twitter and more time in the books and/or training.

• ibleedirish - May 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

No doubt. Shoot, back when I was in school we walked uphill in two feet of snow, read a book with one hand and did arm curls with the other. I say why stop at twitter? How about stay off the internet totally? Its just a fad anyways. Everyone will see when the typewriter makes a comeback.

• 1historian - May 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

talk about SUBTLE!!

• bb90grad - May 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I’m hoarding ink ribbon and correction fluid too. We’re gonna make a killing!

• danirish - May 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Don’t worry, the kid is real smart – Catholic wouldn’t have it any other way.

11. 1historian - May 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Speaking of recruiting – aren’t we going to need 2 QBs in this class? Rees is in his 4th season so the upcoming is his last, is it not?
    That leaves Hendrix, who stood on the sideline in 2010, played a little in 2011 and 2012 and might be able to get a 5th season, but I am given to understand he is in pre-med so would it not follow that he wants to get into med school asap?

In other words – why would he want to stay around for another season (2014) of standing around?

If they’re both gone – next year – 2014 – we have Golson, Zaire and whoever. Are 3 QBs enough?

• bernhtp - May 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Rees is gone after this season and Hendrix will have a fifth year option.

I fully expect Hendrix to be offered a fifth year. Whether he takes it or not, depends (I think) on how much playing time he gets this season and expects next. For this reason, I expect him to get way more time than last year in garbage time, injury relief and special teams (PK holder). If this doesn’t happen, I expect him to enroll in med school in 15 months.

Despite what some others have said, I thought Hendrix looked pretty good in the spring game, threw some of the nicest passes of the afternoon (e.g., downfield to Mahone) and this was without him able to use his running ability given the BG game no-contact rules. He was victimized by some terrible drops by Brown, Mahone and Prosise, which obviously negatively impacted his stats.

• nudeman - May 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I wish I shared your enthusiasm for Hendrix because he seems like a great guy.
        To me he’s a ticking time bomb and always a candidate to fire a bullet into a LB’s chest.
        I get nervous just watching him. Very skittish in the pocket.

I remember the throw to Mahone, btw; wouldn’t call that a “downfield” pass. It was a seam route, and Will caught it probably no more than 10-12 yards past the line of scrimmage.

• bernhtp - May 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM

My remarks were about the obvious alternative to you know who. I like Hendrix’s versatility. He is our best read-option runner (more powerful/durable than Golson) and has a big arm. While he’s famously drilled a LB a couple of times, I don’t see his judgment worse than Rees’. He avoided LBs in the BG game, so may there is progress.

The Mahone pass was 15 yards and looked longer became it was thrown from a deep shotgun. See 2:51 below.

• nudeman - May 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

In the context of AH vs. you-know-who, I agree AH is preferable.

In fact if forced to start him, they could easily put together a conservative game plan that could take advantage of his great running ability and maybe only throw 13-15 times with specific instructions to THROW IT AWAY if no one’s open.

In the other guy’s case you really can’t put together a game plan because there’s not really a strength there.

• 1historian - May 8, 2013 at 10:53 PM

The upcoming season will be his 4th. If he is planning on going to Med School – why should he wait? If he has a choice between med school and another season of standing on the sideline – why should he stay? Certainly he knows that his chances of ever starting are miniscule at best, so why would he put off med school?

I am assuming of course that he is on schedule to graduate in 2014.

• nudeman - May 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM

1historian
        I’d say there is zero chance, barring a bunch of injuries to those in front of him that Hendrix is at ND in 2014.

He’ll either go play somewhere else or go to Med school.

• bernhtp - May 9, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Zero chance? A bunch of injuries?

If there is one injury to one guy – Golson – then Hendrix has a shot. Tommy is clearly the next guy in (right now) within a game situation, but I would much rather put an offensive game plan around the capabilities of Hendrix than Rees, warts and all. We remember how the BYU game went where they got to prepare for a full game of Tommy given Golson’s concussion. I think there is little chance absent a catastrophe that they burn Zaire’s red shirt, though this is not impossible given his quick development.

My original post on the topic recognized that the shallow QB depth chart militates for Hendrix’s fifth year, and this (I think) is predicated upon him getting meaningful reps both currently and prospectively, or alternatively he is off to med school and the next phase of his life. ND coaches obviously know this and my betting is that this reality shows up on the field this season (some). For this reason I also don’t think that it was accidental that Hendrix was the second QB in for the BG game.

• nudeman - May 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM

bern,
        It escaped me that Hendrix was the second man in in the BG game.
        If Golson is hurt and they’re playing a good team (USC, UM, MSU, etc) I’d take Hendrix with a week of preparation any day over Rees.
        Unfortunately the guy making the decisions doesn’t agree.

mtfl smitty
        Rees … “one hell of an athlete”?
        I don’t think so.
        Athletic ability is exactly what he lacks. In the hundreds of snaps he’s taken I’ve never once said “wow”, in a good way.
        And saying he’s a better athlete than everyone here is meaningless.

12. bearcatirishfan - May 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM

This is off topic but I’m bored with recruiting talk. Has anyone else noticed that bill obrien from penn state has the worst butt chin ever. I mean he has the whole a hole, crack and butt cheeks all on his chin.

• thefightinfloyds - May 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Haha jesus…now everytime I see Bill O’Brien Im going to think: “A-Hole chin”

13. danirish - May 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I’ve seen this kid run 3 times now – I teach at the public high school around the corner from Charlotte Catholic. Last year his first three runs were 70 yards, 85 yards and one that was a long way. I can’t wait to see him and actually cheer for him this coming year knowing that he we be Irish (I hope)

He’s real good!

14. shaunodame - May 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM

LOVE IT! What’s not to like about this situation? This kid is a RKG if I’ve ever seen one.

I think the best part about the whole thing is that it’s not even like he’s trying to recruit his own boys from his team, but rather he’s chasing some serious Blue-Chip’s. Very interested to see how well this actually works in the end.

#GoldenArmy14