Golson speaks: Accepts suspension, aims at 2014 return

May 26, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT

Pittsburgh v Notre Dame Getty Images

A day after news broke that Everett Golson was no longer enrolled at Notre Dame, the quarterback confirmed and clarified the circumstances surrounding his shocking departure.

With the university bound to silence due to privacy laws, Golson himself acknowledged an academic situation that let to a suspension for the fall semester, ending his football season before it ever began.

Golson released a statement through the University:

I have been informed by the University of Notre Dame that due to my poor academic judgment that I have been suspended from the University for the 2013 Fall Term.

I take full responsibility for my poor choices and will do all that is asked of me to regain the trust of my family, friends, teammates, coaches and the entire Notre Dame community.

I chose to attend Notre Dame because of its mission to develop me both on and off the football field.

My parents and the community I grew up in have instilled values in me that have and will continue to allow me to be successful in the future.  There have been many lessons learned as I worked to become the starting quarterback at Notre Dame and each was a result of Coach Kelly’s belief in me as an athlete and a person.

At this point, I understand how my integrity could be in question but I want to reassure my supporters that through this experience I will return a better student athlete as well as a better individual.

Lastly, I want to thank the University of Notre Dame for the opportunity already granted and also the opportunity going forth to regain my eligibility in the winter of 2014.

Thus ends any speculation that the quarterback who led the Irish to a 12-1 record will return in the fall. Notre Dame will now move forward with a three-man depth chart at quarterback, with Tommy Rees the assumed starter, Andrew Hendrix the veteran though untested back-up, and Malik Zaire the hotshot rookie that now might not be able to wear a redshirt.

Earlier in the day, former Irish quarterback Gunner Kiel squelched any hopes Irish fans may have had for a return to South Bend by reconfirming his decision to play for Cincinnati next season. (An option that never existed for the Irish staff.) That leaves a fairly large question mark at a position that seemed to be resolved after Golson’s breakout rookie season.

What isn’t in question is the more than admirable stance that Notre Dame is taking with its starting quarterback. After having its integrity called into question more than a few times over the past few years as the Irish reascended the college football mountain, the university backed up one of its strongest beliefs by holding true to its honor code, something Golson.

While some skeptics would wonder how many quarters a starting quarterback would sit out for cheating on an exam at some powerhouse football programs, Notre Dame — and Golson, who owned his mistakes — lived up to the standard it set for itself by suspending their potential star quarterback.

For Golson, he can look at the path laid by several successful Irish football players who took the long way home. With success stories coming from players like Gary Gray, Darrin Walls, and Julius Jones, there’s a proven road map for him to return, if he wants to do the work.

1. wisner74 - May 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM

In a similar vein, the main reason I check in on this site frequently is KA’s excellent reporting and analysis. But I also usually check the comments because I find that many of you have intelligent and insightful things to say, and it’s gratifying to read comments from so many people who share my values about ND, ND football, and even life sometimes. There is also a lot of humor. It took me awhile, but I finally “got” Dickasman. Now I frequently, but not always, find him hilarious.

My point is that I, and I suspect many others, come here for the intelligent, informative and entertaining conversation. Why some of you talented posters waste your time engaging these idiots is beyond me. It just creates more crap that we all have to wade through to get to the good stuff.

• shamrocknroll - May 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I agree with 95% of your post. I just had to give you a thumbs down for saying you like dickasman.

• onward2victory - May 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I agree with 100% of your post, especially the part about Dick!! I used to think “Why doesn’t Keith block this moron??!” But now I get it and find his posts entertaining (and dare I say, intelligent?) most of the time.

• shamrocknroll - May 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Do you find his racist and homophobic comments intelligent, too? About 75% of his posts are riddled with them.

2. loadofwash - May 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM

If ND is SO different with a value system, explain George O’Leary. What, what, ……??? ND is a greedy, abusive, institution that prefers to live in the past rather than evolve. RIP that south bend dumpster fire.

• danirish - May 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Are you a special kind of dumb or just a bad troll? George O’Leary? You mean the guy that ND hired and it turned out helied on his resume’ – that O’Leary right?

Try harder next time….

3. nchdomer - May 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Well said, wisner74. The Irish will be fine. Hopefully Golson does return. He has talent and I think he is at the right school.
    Listened to the ESPN talking heads speaking their doom and gloom. You would have thought somebody died. I used to enjoy them but now find them insufferable. The best ones are actually Davis and May. Davis is the type of classy Alabama graduate that I have encountered. Respects the game and its history. Never nasty, juvenile or personal with his comments. May is, as I have said in the past, a great supporter of ND and its charities. Of course, he likes to poke fun at ND. We all like to make jokes about other schools. That is part of what makes college sports so much fun. Heck, me and my Domer friends sometimes make fun of ourselves and our school – but in a good nature’d way and never out of disrespect. I have too many friends that are Trojans, Wolverines, Boilermakers, Badgers, Panthers, Wildcats, etc. to ever believe the nonsense from the over-the-top fans who have a grudge against the world and feel a need to post their hateful nonsense, anonymously. There is enough hunger, joblessness and real heartache in the world to be angry about. College football? Always has been my favorite sport and that is in part because most of the fans at each school make it so with their school spirit and passion for the game and their team.

4. 25kgold - May 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Zaire is starting this year.

5. loadofwash - May 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

ND needs an oversight investigator to weed out the bad kids and regain some control. The university is in pretty bad shape, probably due to a lack luster alum base.

6. bernhtp - May 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Apparently this is not Everett’s first case of “poor academic judgment” and thus the suspension. I saw rumors that Daniels was also involved. If so, it must have been his first.

The football program, along with Admissions, has a difficult task: recruiting top athletic talent, much of which is marginally qualified, at best, to undertake the arduous task of Notre Dame academics even with heroic amounts of effort by both the student and the University support staff.

• wisner74 - May 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I absolutely agree. Those of us who are alums all had friends on various sports teams, and we saw first hand how challenging it could be.

On a different note, if there is truth in this report bernhtp has provided, then I stick by my observation at the top, regardless of how unpopular it apparently was. It is notable that an explicit apology was not part of EG’s public statement. He said a lot of the right kind of things, but he needs to clearly and unequivocally apologize first and foremost to his family, then to the coaches and his teammates, and finally to all of us who have invested so much time, patience and emotional energy in rooting for him and suffering through his growing pains as a player.

He signed on to play QB at Notre Dame. It is one of the most high-profile positions in all of the sports world. Yes, it is enormously demanding, but he had to know what he was getting into from day one. He has let everyone down.

Maybe all of these fifth-year players would have wanted to come back anyway. But if having a realistic shot at getting back to the NC game was any part of their calculations, then that possibility has taken a real hit because of EG’s behavior. He needs to tell lots and lots of people he is sorry.

7. wisner74 - May 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Dudeacow asks an interesting question about whether this burns a year of eligibility for EG. I would assume that it does not, but I may be wrong. However, if I am right, that makes Zaire’s situation more complicated. You have to assume that he came to ND thinking that he would sit this year while EG burned his second year of eligibility, and then he’d at least get some playing time in the next two seasons until EG was done, if he didn’t manage to actually beat EG out for the job. After that Zaire would have two years as a starter (also assuming he would win the job over whatever other QBs join the team.)

Now, however, if EG comes back next year with three years of eligibility left, the picture will be entirely different. It may be that Zaire will win the job now anyway, and beat Golson out in the future, but the entire calculation of how things could develop has changed for him.

• bernhtp - May 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM

It does burn a year because his freshman year was a voluntary red shirt year. Had he not played his freshman year due to an injury, he could apply to the NCAA for a sixth year, but this is not the case.

• danirish - May 27, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I think the fact that EG will be out will make it very difficult for him to regain his starting job. Rees and Hendrix will be gone and I believe one year of Zaire “hanging” with the team will solidify him as the future – and we may see him this year.

Why not? I say start Zaire, what is he going to do? Throw interceptions?

8. 25kgold - May 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

The only person who isn’t pissing in his pants right now is Bob Diaco! After all, it was HIS defense that got us to the championship game in the first place–a defense that will be MUCH BETTER this year as well! So, I kinda don’t mind the offensive side of the ball causing all of the distractions over the off season. Keep the eyes of the outside world off of our defense, so it can bite them in the ass come game time! The way I look at it, we might not light up the scoreboard this year (like last year), but be damn certain opposing teams won’t be able to neither (like last year).

9. 1historian - May 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I’m back from reading one of my (many) books and this one just happened to be a collection of some of the best columns written by the late great Red Smith, aka one of the best sportswriters ever.

Loadofwash, the wisdom is back, sinister 23, HarveyUpdyke, fnc (whatever), all you haters – I have 2 questions for you.

1) Have you ever heard of Red Smith? (if answer is no skip question 2)
    2) Where do you think he went to college?

10. thefightinfloyds - May 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM

This is very unfortunate news for Golson, for ND and for ND fans. This is a tough break but no different than coming back from a season ending injury. Although in this case its fixing his mind and his confidence not his body. The part that stings the most is Golson looked poised to take the next step and become a leader of the offense and the team as a whole. With this news and Rees taking over the reins I look for ND to run the hell out of the ball, there should be a platoon of RBs all getting touches this season.
    Also I dont applaud ND for making this decision because this is who they are and it should be expected but heres to hoping they show the same steel spine with Vanderdoes.

11. 1historian - May 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I gotta go pick up Spike @ daycare so I gotta run but I just wanna say this: The next few months are going to be a hell of a lot of fun! A damn soap opera to beat all!

Prediction – 10-2. Not gonna say which ones. Zaire starts by mid-season, don’t forget Luke Massa who was recruited as a QB once upon a time. Kelly is fine for handling this situation, we out here in cyberland are at our best when firing our (unsolicited and unaskedfor) opinions about this that and the other damn thing, but most important

95 and a wakeup!!

12. loadofwash - May 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

The academics at ND are easier then state schools. Do your homework you delusional homers.

• 4horsemenrideagain - May 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Whether at ND or a state school, when using in a comparison it’s “than,” not “then.”

13. jem5b - May 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM

O’Leary’s CV had been vetted not only by Georgia Tech, but, the NFL as he worked for a # of years as an assistant coach, notably with the SD Chargers.
    LOD, at least get your head out of your ass and put some time into some research.

14. loadofwash - May 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM

FYI dopes, I was referring to the well known fact that O’Leary graduates NO ONE. I thought even you marginally educated groupies would get that.

15. loadofwash - May 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Too bad ND participated in the most lopsided championship in history. Nice job. Roll tide

16. wgray981 - May 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM

It makes me sad how you losers put the team winning over this players future. Get a grip, football is a game and this guy clearly needed some off the field help. Good for ND!

17. usm418 - May 29, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Go to South Carolina. It’s in the SEC and he’d fit right in.

18. rd14stewart - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:09 PM