Shocker: Everett Golson no longer enrolled at Notre Dame

May 26, 2013, 12:40 AM EST

Discover BCS National Championship - Notre Dame v Alabama Getty Images

Starting quarterback Everett Golson is no longer enrolled at Notre Dame.

The bombshell was confirmed last Saturday night by university spokesman Dennis Brown to multiple outlets, with local NBC affiliate WNDU the first to report the news. Two sources tells Inside the Irish that an academic violation is the root of the problem, and may not be confined to just the Irish signal caller.

Golson, who led the Irish to an undefeated regular season as a first year starting quarterback, now faces an uncertain future that also throws the Irish’s 2013 season into chaos before it starts. With rising sophomore Gunner Kiel already transferring to Cincinnati, the Irish will likely turn back to senior Tommy Rees, who started at quarterback for the majority of two seasons before backing up Golson last year.

It’s too early to know exactly what the ramifications are of this announcement. The possibility of a return, even as soon as the fall semester, isn’t necessarily out of the question. But precedent for this type of situation is especially harrowing for those expecting to see the South Carolina native playing for the Irish this fall.

Federal and university privacy laws have kept anybody from confirming anything more on Golson’s situation, but the loss of the quarterback is a huge dagger in the side of the Irish offense. After a slow start to 2012, Golson improved significantly down the stretch and looked primed to be the breakout star of Notre Dame’s attack. All of that is likely on hold now, with Golson’s future in South Bend unclear.

After having five scholarship quarterbacks entering the spring, the Irish now have a depth chart that features seniors Tommy Rees and Andrew Hendrix joined by true freshman Malik Zaire.

121 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. dudeacow - May 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Muh-LEAK Zie-AIR

Learn it.

You’ll need to know how to pronounce his name when he wins the Heisman.

Go Irish.

2. runners00 - May 26, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Other shoe just dropped in Golson’s statement. Sounds like a lack of academic judgment — but it also sounds like he will be back if things go well in fall of 2013. That is good news.

3. oldndgrad - May 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM

SORRY FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG! I played varsity ball at ND, graduated Magna Cum Laude, have an M.D. degree and was a med school professor. What about you smart guy?

• dudeacow - May 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I’m still in high school… sorry.

• bernhtp - May 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I’m king of Persia and can spell Golson despite English not being my native language.

• dillonbigred - May 27, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Boy aren’t you an arrogant prick.

• 1historian - May 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM

With his creds he has the right to be an ‘arrogant prick’. How about yours?

4. papadec - May 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM

There is an article @ IrishSportsDaily with comments from Golson. He has been suspended for the FALL 2013 Term. He will be back, in the Winter of 2014. He takes full responsibility for what happened & his suspension. RKG after all. In my opinion, the details don’t matter – the & his future do.

5. notredave - May 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Do what you got to do to come back EG. Good on you for owning this too. 100 % behind you young man. Whomever gets the rock as the starting QB gets my 100% percent as well. That includes Tommy, whom I haven’t had a lot of good things to say about. Could be a redemption year for him. GO IRISH! Oh yeah…I need tixs to the OU Game.

6. bernhtp - May 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Golson admits to “poor academic judgment.”

Clearly this goes beyond misspelling his name. Even “Ghoulstein” doesn’t get you suspended for a year, though it should. It likely is some serious infraction such a buying a paper or severe plagiarism.

Everett apparently has been given a path to redemption, albeit the customary long one. As I said before, I hope he takes it.

In the meantime, we need a QB. Tommy has proven pretty good in the pinch and an excellent mentor, But he has also repeatedly shown that when defenses get to prepare for him and his limitations, it often gets ugly for ND.

If Zaire really is progressing far faster than a normal frosh QB, it might make sense to repeat last year: have Rees mentor up Zaire and fill in when he’s having a bad time of it.

If Zaire just isn’t ready to step on the big stage, do the same for Hendrix. Maybe Andrew has developed significantly since we saw his last significant contributions a couple of years ago. He’s a smart kid, works hard, runs very well, and has a big arm. He should be able to do better than Tommy.

• ndirish10 - May 26, 2013 at 6:46 PM

bern, I do agree that if Zaire is progressing let him play and have Tommy come in if REALLY needed. A couple of BIG differences from last year’s offense are: Zaire would be a true freshman not a redshirt frosh. and Eifert is now a pro. But hey, there have been a number of true freshmen to lead their teams to the promise land. Go Irish!!! Golson, good luck with your academics.

• ndirish10 - May 26, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Ok, I just did my research. Only one true freshman QB has won the NC: Jamelle Holieway in 1985 (Oklahoma).

7. 4horsemenrideagain - May 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM

spot on smitty. great post. we need more posts like these.

8. yllibnosredna - May 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM

However, there is often a big difference between a true freshman QB and a redshirt freshman QB. Granted, early spring enrollment may help mitigate just how callow Zaire really is. But I am struggling to recall a time when a TRUE freshman qb led his team to a 9/10+ win season in recent years. Maybe T. Pryor in 2008?

9. 25kgold - May 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Zaire = Golson 2.0

10. loadofwash - May 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Too funny, ND gets what it deserves

11. loadofwash - May 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

ND has NO shot at a championship after that spectacle last season, it’s going to take time for that image to dissipate, by then there’ll be another loser coach.

• 1historian - May 27, 2013 at 8:09 AM

wrong

12. 25kgold - May 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Tommy Rees can write a best seller book about his tenure at Notre Dame LOL! His career reads almost like a Lifetime movie! Talk about “Luck of the Irish”

13. almoose - May 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Look the School has to do what is right. That said I think there are just too many surprises in Coach Kelly’s team from last year and now this. Rees for one and the apparent academic issues in this case. Does anyone mentor these people? The whole Manti surprise just shows something missing. The School has integrity though for standing fast on this. I hope they go undefeated again and Kelly finds Rees and another to get them through it. Go Irish and God Bless all the Students!

14. wisner74 - May 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Almoose, when you are dealing with college kids, athletes or non-athletes, there are always going to be some problems. When I was at ND, during Parseghian’s tenure, Al Hunter, Art Best, and Ross Browner all got into some kind of trouble — and that’s just off the top of my head. On the non-athletic side, my roommate managed to get an SMC girl pregnant. Another non-athlete got expelled for having kept his home-town honey in his room for a weekend in violation of parietal hours. I also got caught with a girl in my room after hours one time, and could just as easily have been kicked out too. The difference was that I was lucky enough to have Fr. Maury Amen as my rector and this poor guy had Fr. Burchael.

Anybody remember the alleged rape scandal in the 1990′s (I think) involving four ND football players. They all get kicked out. There is always some of this kind of stuff going on. It’s magnified when it’s an athlete, and doubly magnified when it’s an ND athlete. Most of us probably did several things when we were 18-22 that we would rather forget, and were lucky enough not to get caught at.

I think it has something to do with the frontal lobe in the brain not being fully developed at that age, especially in guys. Maybe Oldndgrad could weigh in here.

• irish4006 - May 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM

“Most of us probably did several things when we were 18-22 that we would rather forget…”

Are you kidding me? There are certainly things that were done in poor judgment (caught or not), but those were the “good times”. :-)

Although I am disappointed that we won’t have Golson and, as a result, the magical season I was hoping for; I understand that these things can happen to anyone. Good luck, EG; get your life back together and come back as a better person/quarterback.

• hoosbadg - Nov 7, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Art Best, that’s a blast from the past. Several years ago, I heard a story about Art Best and a near race riot he caused at haltime of the 1974 USC vs. ND game and I wonder if anyone can confirm this. I grew up in South Bend and used to played the old Burke Memorial Golf Course because I could pass for an ND student (actually I’m IU ’82 but married a domer gal) and get that ridiculously cheap student green fee. One day, I showed up by myself and the starter send me out with a couple middle aged guys who turned out to be cops. I don’t recall if they were state police, St Joe county sheriffs, or South Bend police, but it these guys were Ara’s security detail in 1974. To refresh your memories, this is the game referred to by USC fans as “The Comeback” when ND was up 24-0 heading into halftime only to lose 55-24 after Anthony Davis went berserk on the Irish. Just before haltime with ND leading 24-zip, Pat Haden (yep that one) threw a short pass to Anthony Davis, and according to these cops, once they got in the locker room Art Best accused one of the black defenive backs, in very politically incorrect terms of not doing his job. According to these cops a melee ensued and Ara and his staff barely got them under control in time for the second staff. So it was these cops’ assertion that ND didnt come unglued in the second half they came unglued at halftime. Also, one of the cops told me that Ara said words to the effect, “that if I can’t control my players I don’t want to do this job anymore.” And as we all know he resigned two weeks later, Ara telling the press that he had made this decision earlier in the season.

Anyone got any thoughts,

15. loadofwash - May 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Or maybe ND football is not a group of saints and the fan base is delusional. There’s nothing about those players, teams, school, or town that is any different than Miami (except Miami has better looking people).

• 1historian - May 27, 2013 at 8:11 AM

wrong again

16. mungman69 - May 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM

We have to ADD players, not SUBTRACT players. We are ( were? ) so close. This wouldn’t have happened at BAMA. They know how to build a team.

• runners00 - May 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM

This wouldn’t have happened at Alabama because at Alabama the athlete would not have been suspended. He would have been rewarded in some fashion.

17. loadofwash - May 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM

With social media it’s a level play’n field everywhere; ND is headed towards irrelevance

• 1historian - May 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM

3 for 3

18. loadofwash - May 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM

The title of the column was shock. Where’s the shock about a ND QB being stupid. Don’t get it.

19. steeldominance - May 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Man I hate to say I told you so, but I did. I would like to invite all of you homers (nudeman,notredan,bern,) to go back and review the comments you flamed me for. See the Kiel and Golson articles please. Losing KIEL was a HUGE DEAL. Golson will never be a passer and may never start another game for the Irish. You know you guys should start listening to me. Maybe I should start my own blog? That aside, I know Zaire is the better player anyway. Go Irish.

20. larrydavid7000 - May 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Wake up the echoes this would not happened in the SEC. Roll Tide.

21. loadofwash - May 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM