Door wide open for Golson’s return

May 28, 2013, 4:13 PM EST

Stanford v Notre Dame Getty Images

Since the revelation of Everett Golson‘s suspension from Notre Dame, not much had been clear about the future of the Irish’s starting quarterback. But after listening to head coach Brian Kelly, one thing now is: The door is wide open for Golson to return in the spring.

Kelly spoke briefly with the media Tuesday afternoon, the first time we’ve heard from him since the stunning news. And as you’d expect, the Irish head coach kept an even keel, something you’d expect from a guy that’s spent the better part of three decades coaching college football.

“In my 30 years in college football, it’s like being a dad,” Kelly said. “You’re disappointed, but you know these things happen. You want your players to be accountable.

“I’d say that there are defining moments in everybody’s life. Young kids make mistakes. Everett is going to take this and it’s truly going to be his defining moment. He’s going to grow and live and learn from his mistake.”

While logic points the starting quarterback job to veteran Tommy Rees, Kelly wasn’t ready to name a starter, pointing out that both Rees and fellow senior Andrew Hendrix had plenty of experience to draw on, and early-enrollee freshman Malik Zaire looked good in his fifteen spring practices.

But any worry that Kelly was closing the door on the quarterback that looked like the future of the next three seasons was put to bed quickly. There have been no discussions of transfers. No complaints about the suspension. The details of Golson’s exile are still coming into focus, but the quarterback’s commitment to the Irish is crystal clear.

“I know this,” Kelly said. “In my conversations with Everett and his family, it’s been whatever he needs to do, he’s going to do.”

100 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. bearcatirishfan - May 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Nude has been surprisingly absent since this all went down. Does anyone know him outside of the board, I’m hoping he’s on vacation, but fearing a spontaneous combustion may have occurred.

• jrct2450yahoo - May 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I have the same concern. I hope he hasn’t gone off a cliff somewhere. Come on, Nude, we need your humor and insight to get us through these trying times! (I was never that high on Golson to begin with)

• nudeman - May 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Life issues have got the best of me for now, boys.
        Distracted.

Meantime, here are my thoughts on recent ND developments:
        1) Ever since beating USC, (and if you’ll permit a bit of hyperbole) ND has resembled the Bataan Death March. Not literally, since no one has died except T’eo’s fake girlfriend. That’s like an unearned run. Doesn’t count. But …

2) … In order, T’eo becomes national punchline, Alabama smokes ND, Kelly announces he likes the NFL, Neal/Ferguson/Kiel, Vanderdoesn’t, and now Gholston. By comparison, Mitt Romney had a tremendous November.

3) Tommy Tommy Tommy. Welcome back, and for God’s sake stay away from the cops for a few months. Especially the quick ones. Sort of like a return of strep when you’re in elementary school. Doesn’t feel very good but at least you know you’re getting a few days off.

4) For anyone who thinks Zaire will be the opening day starter, I would like to direct your attention to game 2. Take particular note of the location. Thank you.

5) Somewhere several weeks ago I said this re: Gholston starting 12 games vs Rees starting 12 games: With EG, 10-2 is likely and 12-0 is possible. With Rees, it’s 8-4 and 9-3. Not awful. And I’ll say this about Rees: If he’s learned anything about taking care of the football, with that D and OL and RBs they could actually go 10-2 or even 11-1. But I’m not convinced that premise is on target.

Good night everyone.

• bernhtp - May 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I imagine it’s related to the issue you mentioned before. Good luck. This is always very hard.

2. irish4006 - May 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

The possibility of TR being the starter is too much for even a normal fan to handle. Poor Nude, I hope he is okay.

Sidenote to KA: please wait till Tommy actually does something good before going gaga over those 20 yard hail mary “perfect” passes.

I just hope TR surprises us with a canon of an arm against Temple. After all, he has been in the Longo system (just like everyone else) for over 3 years now.

Why, Golson? Why?

3. irishfootball55 - May 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Tommy Rees is a veteran leader in the huddle and on the field. Is he gifted with god given talent, no. He is slow has an average arm however what he lacks in physical ability he more than makes up for in football intelligence and he won’t make the big mistake that will cost the Irish a chance to win games. Andrew Hendrix is the X factor. He is big, he can run, he has an above average arm and he has been part of the Irish football program for 3 years. Hendrix had a very good spring and will challenge Rees for the starting job. For Hendrix it is simple, learn the spread offense, limit mistakes and eliminate poor decisions. Then there is Malik Zaire the perfect spread quarterback. Fast, eludes the pass rush, strong arm has all the tools to run Brian Kelly’s offense. Can he be ready to be the full time starter by ND’s opening game, maybe. Brian Kelly is a genius at molding young QB’s and formulating game plans around their strengths, ex Everett Golson. The most likely scenario is Tommy Rees and Andrew Hendrix battle for starters job in fall with Malik given an outside chance in competition. Malik will be involved in the offense possibly with a scaled down set of plays that allows him to utilize his skill set why he continues to develop. The Defense is much better this year both in depth and personnel. Defense is the key for championship teams and the Irish defense is a top 3 in college football. True Domers know that this is not the perfect situation but the Irish are still a supremely talented program and will be a very good football team. Next man in!!! Go Irish!!!

4. irishaggie - May 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Rees is 14-4 as a starter. Everyone remembers his sophomore year and bashes on him. Jimmy Clausen was 9-12 after his sophomore year as a starter and turned the ball over a lot his sophomore year too, he had 17 ints. He had 4 ints against Boston College. Why did we all love Jimmy and dislike Tommy? Is it because Jimmy was a 5 star recruit? Tommy only has four losses as a starter. He wins 78% of his games and completes 63% of his passes, not to mention he saved EG on 3 occasions.

Tommy Rees wins games. Beside Stanford and maybe BYU, nobody on the schedule has a dominating defense and if our line holds up Tommy will pass for 30 TD’s.

• irishfootball55 - May 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Tommy is a safe bet, won’t lose games because of bad decision making and he picks up the defensive packages very well which allows him to audible out of trouble and change plays effectively. 30 TD’s if your correct then the Irish are going to be right back playing for championship. I was at Spring practice and Malik Zaire was lighting it up. Hendrix was much improved as well. The biggest surprise was that Gunner didn’t even try to compete for the starting job. Not that he would have beaten Everett out or Rees for that matter but as he grits his teeth and says ” I am a Bearcat” he has to be wondering what if.

• ibleedirish - May 29, 2013 at 5:08 PM

How did Rees look? Can you rank them from best to worst, based on the practice you saw?

• bearcatirishfan - May 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM

You guys are saying this about Reese’s just to pull nude out of hibernation right? As for Everette does anyone else feel bad that he may have just thrown away the rest of his life? Hope he comes back and finishes his degree, but I’m not sure.

As for rees he is who we think he is, unfortunately so do all opposing defensive coordinators.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - May 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Irishaggie……well done. An argument based upon facts. I’m not upset if it’s Tommy, AH or even Zaire. I think we will be okay. TR is the doomsday scenario for a lot of Irish fans. You’re right, people view him in relation to his past accomplishments (better than JC as a soph as you’ve illustrated) but what they don’t realize is that he’s got another year under his belt and has gotten stronger and presumably better. What game was it last year that he completely just waltzed in and saved it for Golson? I remember watching him just walk off the field like yeah, I did it….no high fives, no celebration, he acted like this was what he was meant to do all along. It was at that moment, I realized the kid has ice water running through his veins and he’s a total gamer and a complete team player. Again, I’m happy with whomever BK puts behind center because he knows these guys and will put the best player in there to succeed. TR doesn’t scare me. While a lot of so called fans expressed their knee jerk reaction of oh we’re doomed if it’s Rees, I think the thoughtful analysis, as you have provided, will rule the day. Nice job.

• irishfootball55 - May 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Tommy was the leader, at this time, spring practice, he new that he was the relief pitcher. He looked good as far as command of the offense, players trust him and his knowledge of the game is impressive. It would not shock me one bit if Tommy ends up coaching football in the future. As far as ranking the QB’s based on spring practice Hendrix was the most improved, obviously he has worked very hard this off season he will challenge Rees. Malik is the QB of the future only problem is we may need him now. Spring Practice rankings minus Golson, Hendrix, Rees and Zaire. That is how many practices were run. It’s all different now. Out of the three QB’s left only Tommy had a real shot at playing time. Going into the fall it will be a real competitive competition. Rees will come in as the number 1 QB and it will be his to loose. Nude made a good point about the Michigan game at the Big House. Tommy Rees has played there and knows what to expect. Temple may be an audition for Malik if he busts his ass in the off-season and shows up for fall practice ready to go he clearly has the skill set that can run the spread offense. We have options all very different from one another. More importantly we have some legitimate running backs Greg Bryant being by far the most physically gifted and this should take pressure off of QB’S. My bet is Rees starts with a short leash.

• papadec - May 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM

i-ag – you’re making me feel better about my wagers. Looks like I’m not the only crazy optimist, after all. I’m looking forward to a wild, fun, probably aggravating (aren’t they all?) season. GO IRISH!!!!!!

5. bernhtp - May 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM

You guys are going soft on me. All the Rees fanboy talk has me worried. Please get on Youtube and watch the last games of the 2011 season where the defenses figured him out and he couldn’t move the ball even with two first-round NFL picks, Floyd and Eifert, as targets.

It just got worse and worse as the season went on. Several days after the FSU bowl loss, Kelly and Martin decided that they needed a new QB and Golson was the most likely one to lift them out of the Rees doldrums despite the fact that Golson was nowhere near ready. The rest is history.

Well, here we are again. Golson is gone. Tommy is a bit older and probably a bit better. Maybe his efforts with Longo give him enough strength to knock the cop back far enough to run away next time. The team is generally better and maybe he doesn’t make as many mistakes as the old Tommy, but God, he is not the one to lead us to the promised land.

I don’t know if anyone is. Hendrix may not have yet had the great epiphany that allows him to distinguish between receivers and linebackers, and Zaire may be too green, but I’ve seen too much of Tommy to not want to try something different. Yes, use Tommy in the pinch if you have to, give him a red hat and have him make wild gestures from the sidelines, even give him a headset and clipboard, but generally keep him out of that golden helmet.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - May 30, 2013 at 12:15 AM

bern, all I’m saying is if it’s Rees that Kelly chooses to put out there I’m okay with that. He’s had another year in the system and had a pretty good football acumen to begin with. Kelly has enough time to be able to scheme to his strengths and I’m assuming there will be a run first offense no matter who has the keys. I’m comfortable with the backup options we presently have. If Rees gets the nod and the games are more competitive (even down to the wire) as a result, I’m still okay with that because I love nothing more than spending a fall Saturday watching a closely contested game where the Irish come out on top. To me, that’s a worthwhile investment of my time and I’ve been sufficiently entertained. Games where we take an early lead and dominate, then end up winning 35-14 are wins, granted, but they are snoozefests by and large. I watch a game like that and feel guilty that i havent done anything around the house. I’ll take the heat for saying this, but if Tommy’s in there and makes the game more “interesting” I’m all for that. You’ve got to keep the faith brother. Rees isn’t some untested walk-on stiff, none of our QB options are. Over- under is 10 wins no matter who starts. Bank it. Here’s to an exciting season. GO IRISH!

• irish4006 - May 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I was trying hard not to add fuel to this TR debate once again – Rees is a winner, his record is better after 2 years than JC etc. etc.

How can someone who watched him play 2 years can come up with these arguments is beyond me. If you are a big fan of closely contested games, go back and re-watch our games vs. UM in 2010 or 2011 (esp. 2011). A more potent offense (or a more capable QB) would have scored 40+ and we would have won comfortably. Heading into the 4th Q of the game, I had a feeling that we blew our opportunity by not being able to score more despite dominating 3 quarters.

The only thing I agree with is your faith in BK. He has done enough to earn my (may I say, our) trust that he would put in whoever gives us the best option to win. Go Irish!

• idratherbeinsouthbend - May 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Bern,

I think you’re missing on this one just a little bit. Much of your comment is accurate, but I think the difference is simple. BK won’t ask Tommy to win games for us. He’ll ask Tommy to be one of 11 guys on the field to help win games.

The whole “defenses figured him out” statement is only half of Tommy’s burden. The other half falls on the shoulders of the play caller.

I think Tommy’s weakness at the end of the 2011 season was, in part, because defenses were forcing him to check to a play at the line and they new what those checks would be (generally speaking).

So, i think the problem can be solved by more dynamic play calling and more dynamic checks at the line. The kid is going to read the defense correctly and he’s going to make checks at the line…the checks installed in the offense just need to overcome Tommy’s tendencies.

Basically, we need a play caller who has a “decided schematic advantage” (<—–THAT WAS A JOKE PEOPLE).

• irishfootball55 - May 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM

The good new is how many college football teams have a senior backup quarterback with Tommy’s experience, none. Then it comes down to Hendrix and Zaire. Malik is by far the most gifted athletically out of the 3 QB’s in the mix for the starting job. The only way I can see Zaire starting the season as QB1 is if he is able to master a play book that doesn’t overwhelm him. Remember the difficulty Everett had at times and Kelly exploding on the sideline.It’s possible Rees could mentor him I just don’t see Zaire starting. I can see him running a set of plays from a playbook designed specifically for him. Hendrix could win the fall competition and I don’t think it would surprise anyone. He was a highly recruite QB out of high school. The key is look at every other position and you will see added depth, better skill players at key positions and an extremely talented defense. Teams will be lucky to put up 14 points a game. Take a look at the secondary which was a huge weak spot for the Irish however with the addition of Max Redfield, Kavari Russell with a years experience under his belt, Austin Collinsworth returning from injury this should add to a extremely talented D-Line and despite the loss of Manti an excellent linebacking group.

• wisner74 - May 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Rees’ numbers as a sophomore in 2011 compare well with Brady Quinn’s sophomore season:

BQ – 191 of 353 (.541 pct.), 17 TDs, 10 Ints, 2586 yds

TD – 269 of 411 (.655 pct.), 20 TDs, 14 Ints, 2871 yds

These stats are from the official ND athletic site.

Rees is far from chopped liver. Why are we even wasting time on this? Clearly not our first choice, but thank God we have had him in the past and will have him this Fall.

• 1historian - May 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Don’t forget Luke Massa. He’s buried on the WR chart but he was originally recruited as a QB – if he could be brought back as a QB we might be able to redshirt Zaire.

6. irishpuma - May 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I agree with Bern on this one. And more to the point in a giant round about way….Rees is not the answer and at best will get us to a mid level bowl. His alleged mastery of the game, schemes and defenses have only produced some jump balls and and an almost 20 turnover year. Is he in fact the next bill walsh of football I don’t think so. I play a lot of Madden and can read a cover 2, man, nickel, dime etc. I also can see when we have a 6″7 beast split out wide on a 5″11 db singled up at the edge. I could check to the fade and throw a 20 yard lob and I like my chances. Or as usually what happens is read the match up and under-throw it for great success. Something that does not get mentioned much is that Rees knows where he is throwing it when he comes to the line regardless of how the play breaks down. On top of that do you think top quality coaches don’t know to give him one look and switch out which jams us up constantly he will then either throw to a spot of check to the trap play or the BK timeout call our number one check down. That is why over the long haul he does not fill up[ the score board and that is why he has ridiculous amounts of turnovers ( that and the stone feet coupled with the blitz panic) With Golson’s troubles showing there is a learning issue there, and the fact that Hendrix after 3 years can not read over under coverage, cover two, and continues to throw to wide open linebackers for the other team isn’t it possible Rees looks like a genius only compared to his peer average?

My point is Rees and Hendrix are not the answer and they are halfway out the door so why burn a season on them? There is no useful development there and I don’t think a win in the alamo bowl is that big a deal. Zaire is raw granted but he has the biggest upside I think we all can agree on. And the games and reps will only help him grow. So lets just get on with it. I am not worried about burning his redshirt as we seem to not be able to keep players on campus anyways. And we still have Tommy as a very competent back up much the same as last year.

I guess I would rather see us have a good or average year building something rather than a year wasted where we will all have the same questions going into fall 2014.

Memo to the Hendrix lovers I was one of them until I saw him from the field at Stanford. The stage was too big the game was too fast. He could have thrown 3 pics in a 5 pass span if the Defenders were not so surprised that they were getting hit in the numbers. He has the size, speed, strength, arm etc but the intangibles are missing. I think they should have converted him and harnessed his natural skills and ability. But what do I know I am just a crazy ND fan!

• bernhtp - May 30, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Hendrix didn’t have it two years ago, but maybe he’s figured it out since. Two words of hope: Kevin McDougal.

Zaire is the longer shot, but given what I hear, he may be no worse by September than Golson was last September. I don’t know if Zaire is the passer than Golson is – EG really aired it out in HS – but he does appear to be a slightly faster, bigger, stronger runner. The nice thing about the running ability is that it requires less development.

Anyway, regarding “Tommy won’t be asked to win games, just be one of 11 guys blah blah blah” – that’s fine for 8-10 wins, but there are some occasions where the QB needs to step up and make magic happen to pull it out. Golson certain did things to win games like OK and Pitt that were beyond Rees’ abilities.

• NotreDan - May 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM

you did NOT just compare playing Madden to any success on a real football field did you?

Give it a break dude.

Look, we have what we have. Frankly, I hope Tommy comes back and shows everyone wrong.

The worst part about TR is the porn-stache.

• almoose - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I don’t want a good average year ever if this can be avoided! You go with what you have to win. Develop yes but win. Just a few years ago ND was nothing now with a chance to win a few and recruit to a winner we must not pass it up!

7. yaketyyacc - May 30, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Irishpuma…. Amen!

8. bearcatirishfan - May 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I will say no I. Support of Rees himself but him starting, the Rees of 2011 did not have this defense and had to throw a lot more than the Rees of 2013 should have to, this helps a good run game would go a long way. The Alabama of 2011 and 2009 had first time starters that did not throw the ball all that much or well, but boy did thy have great offensive lines and a stable of running backs.

• bernhtp - May 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM

If you want someone at QB that doesn’t throw too much, that even further militates for the use of a mobile QB – one that can extend plays, run the read option and generally give the opposing defense more to do, more to cover, more to worry about, and longer to do it. Both Hendrix and Zaire are way better than Rees with the ball tucked in.

If that mobile QB has a big arm to extend the field along with his leg ability to extend plays, that even puts a greater burden on the defense and spreads the field even if running plays are called most of the time.

• bearcatirishfan - May 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I don’t disagree or am I advocating for tommy, just stating that if it is him we have a few more things hedging in our favor that’s all

• 1historian - May 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM

“great offensive lines and a stable of running backs.”

That’ll do it.

(It don’t hurt to have a bunch of future NFL players on the D either.)

Any news on Vanderdoes?

9. padomer - May 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM

put it this way, look at the qb’s of the best teams that past few years, namely the bcs champs. The Alabama guys are straight up garbage, and i do not care how badly we were beaten and how efficient McCarron is. He is a joke, they won because of their mammoth line and ability to dominate the LOS. somethin like 8 yards a pop on the ground. The Alabama guy before that…garbage. Newton…ok you got me there. But mostly, and as Alabama has proven, you do not need John Elway to win the NC. That said, we are far from what Alabama has everywhere else on the roster. The point is, who knows how far we’ll go, I certainly don’t EXPECT to be in the NC, but BCS, even with the news of Golson isn’t completely ludicrous. At the same time, I am torn up about the news of EG, as he is one of my favorites and I think the sky is the limit with him as a polished upper-classmen.

Moreover, I love our D. But what I am most encouraged about is our stable of RB’s. I haven’t been on this site in a while, and it seems as though many do not think GAIII cannot carry the load. I disagree, and think he has NFL potential, a poor man’s Darren McFadden. And before we’re too hard on him let us see a real sample size, instead of the limited carries he has gotten thus far. Let us say I’m wrong, we still have 2-3 other more than capable backs that can carry the team, with GAIII being at least a change-of-pace. But by no means whatsoever is this a lost season. I am still faithful, and looking forward to kickoff…Go Irish!

10. padomer - May 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM

TR did look pitiful in certain spots last year (Pitt INT, BYU, ETC), but this is also a game of reps. It is hard to get a feel when your replacement is breathing down your neck. Same goes for GAIII, it’s especially hard for a RB to get into a flow when you get 1 carry out of 20 offensive snaps.

Final point about TR and QB’s in general…at some point in a QB’s college career, there in a meteoric rise in production. The “ah ha” moment where the game slows down. TR is obviously not Joe Montegna, but if he can get a feel of avoiding the big TO and manage the game a la McCarron or someone like idk Craig Krenzel, then that might be all we need.

And lets be honest, even if EG was there, and this new up-tempo spread pass attack was to come into fruition, do you really in your heart of hearts trust the WR crew to make EG a 4000yd passer and shoulder us, by himself, to a big run. I don’t. I see limited talent at WR, but a wealth at RB. I hope we stick to what we do best and what we have the most suitable personnel for….ground and pound.

11. padomer - May 30, 2013 at 11:36 PM

dude if TR makes the first team All-American somehow this year, I personally will direct a sequel to Rudy but call it Tommy ahhhhhhhhhohhhhh. For real tho, that’d be an amazing story.

12. nd4life - May 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Any thoughts on OSU president Gordon Gee’s remarks on ND when he said: “Those damn Catholics can’t be trusted.”

• 1historian - May 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM

The dude is a practicing mormon, he also seems to be a practicing moron.

If we let our feathers get ruffled by the likes of him – we ARE in trouble.

Nothing to see here folks, just move along.

• 1historian - May 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Just between us – I DO like his bowtie.

• 1historian - May 31, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Just one more and I’m outta here – I promise.

Remember Greg Oden, the basketball player at OSU a few years ago? He was the overall #1 pick in the NBA draft after his freshman year, which had been predicted since his junior year in Indianapolis.

According to Sports Illustrated, he took 2 courses in his 2nd semester – Sociology and The History of Rock and Roll.

I am NOT making this up.

13. padomer - May 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Oh yea, one more thing, I personally don’t want AH anywhere near the field this year. Not even a part of the Red Hat Brigade. Them bullet passes into LB’s chests cannot be corrected. What that says to me is that the game is moving too quickly for him. At least with Tommy we know what we gettin. MZ, unless he has a killer camp just aint ready IMHO. It would mean that we only show 15% of the playbook and have to play even more conservatively than last year. We lucked out a bunch last year employing that method and I just don’t see us having that much luck again.

14. 1historian - May 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM

It seems to me that almost all of the comments on either Hendrix or Rees have a common theme – neither of them has progressed a bit from the mental or technical mistakes they made last year or the years before.

I disagree – I think we’re going to be fine. One of the reasons is that BK is getting better every year, and that includes handling multiple QBs. He did it at Cincinnati and he can do it here. Another point is that he has cut back a lot on the red-faced yelling at them – that doesn’t help, and he seems to have realized that. Behind closed doors that might work but in front of 80,000 people in the stadium and millions watching on the tube it is counter-productive, and this seems to have dawned on him.

• almoose - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I agree with you. Kelly has made progress with his temper and the team will benefit. The QB thing will be OK. I also say move on from Golson. Don’t want to see this again next year. The College gives help to the players to make the grade and he did not. I am tired of the distractions of the last two years. I know kids get into trouble at all schools but man ND has had some big ones! I do believe they will go 9 and 3 this year and have an interesting Bowl opportunity. I know I can be wrong and some will criticize this but so be it. Go Irish!

15. 1historian - May 31, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Mr. Nude – re. your May 29 6:50 p.m. post.

If I remember correctly – the ‘Bama blowout came before the Manti affair hit the fan. Manti knew it was a ruse but the rest of us did not find out until a little after that.

Of course I could be wrong, in which case – never mind!