OL Jerry Tillery gives commitment to ’15 class

Jun 22, 2013, 5:49 PM EST

247Sports.com 247Sports.com

The star-studded recruiting weekend has yielded another commitment to Brian Kelly and the Fighting Irish. This time, it’s Louisiana offensive tackle Jerry Tillery, a highly touted ’15 offensive tackle recruit, who spent the weekend on campus at the Irish’s Future Stars camp.

Tillery becomes the first pledge to the ’15 recruiting class, making his decision public via Twitter.

“I am committed to the University of Notre Dame. Go Irish.”

It’s obviously early in the recruiting game for someone that has only completed their sophomore season, but Tillery looks like more than just an intriguing prospect. At a reported 6-foot-7, 325-pounds, there’s plenty of body to work with. And with early offers from Arkansas, Ole Miss, Stanford and Texas A&M, there looks to be plenty of talent to back that up.

Tillery hails from Shreveport’s Evangel Christian, a prolific football program, and seemed prime to pick the Irish as a life long fan. He caught up with the South Bend Tribune before the weekend, hinting that Notre Dame might be the school for him.

“Notre Dame tends to attract pretty adept people to their campus,” Tillery told the SBT’s Tyler James. “Notre Dame’s probably not for everyone. Not just anyone can succeed at Notre Dame so they have to have pretty special people to come there. That’s the kind of thing I want to be a part of. I’m looking forward to this whole process.”

Early rankings for the 2015 class have Tillery among the nation’s best at his position. Tom Lemming had this to say about Tillery:

“He’s technically one of the best around,” Lemming told James. “He’s got a lot of offers. He’ll be one of the more heavily-recruited offensive linemen in the country and he’s a great kid. When I talked to him he really seemed to be a Notre Dame-type guy.”

You can get a look at Tillery’s sophomore highlights here.

1. papadec - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Hey load – isn’t Shreveport, LA in SEC country? Like you said – HS kids are watching cable TV – and it looks like they notice ND. CLASS OF 2015!

2. martyhealy - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Sounded like his folks were big ND fans from an article I just read. I heard he was a good student. Sounds like a fairly solid ND commit.

3. dudeacow - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM

SWEET! Not only are we picking up a top-5, super-big tackle, but we’re doing it right in the SEC’s backyard! Contrary to Alabama fans, it appears that we’re still relevant to recruits. Also a plus, he’s African-American, and they are naturally more athletic.

Now to coin the new hashtag, following in the footsteps of #IrishMob13 and #GoldenArmy14. How ’bout #LeapingLeprechauns15? :) Any thoughts?

• martyhealy - Jun 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Nice ring!!

How bout “Jerry’s Kids 15″ since Jerry Tiller is the first to pledge?

• martyhealy - Jun 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM

OK I get the message! LOL One thumbs up and 12 down. I think the tradition has been let the class decide it. Better than me!

• mtflsmitty - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I gave you a thumbs down. But I promise it had nothing to do with your suggestion for the recruiting class name. Geez.

• dudeacow - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Aw, c’mon, I didn’t mean that seriously. I realize it’s a terrible name.

• yogihilt - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Uhhhh Dude, ‘naturally more athletic’? And you think the thumbs down were for the Leapin Leprechauns?

• irishpuma - Jun 26, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Dome Riders 15

• dudeacow - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Nice!

4. mediocrebob - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You serious Dude?

• dudeacow - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Nahhh…. but it was the only one I could come up with. How about #DomerRiot15? Yeah, I realize I’m struggling here.

• mtflsmitty - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I doubt Bob is talking about the name either, Dude.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Jun 23, 2013 at 2:13 AM

You are struggling. Maybe you should ask Paula Deen for some help.

5. papadec - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I’m sure the 2015 commits can come up with what THEY think is the best banner to rally ’round.

6. rdw71 - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Keith, you got the name right for most of the article but wrong in the title and the first use of it in the text. Y? I don’t know!

• mtflsmitty - Jun 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Well played, sir.

7. mediocrebob - Jun 22, 2013 at 9:02 PM

You’re correct Smitty

8. yaketyyacc - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:46 AM

well, evidently losing to Alabama is not sitting well with Coach Kelly. His recruiting evidences a determination to compensate for that loss. The American Army was defeated badly in their first battle against the Germans in WWII, at Kaserine Pass. They NEVER lost another battle. Go Irish!

9. rdw71 - Jun 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

And let’s remember that this is not the first big recruit from SEC country in recent times – Stephon Tuitt is from Georgia. If they’re the RKG, they see how ND is different in ways that count.

10. loadofwash - Jun 23, 2013 at 11:23 AM

They are reaching for the leftovers.

• papadec - Jun 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM

load, load, load – that was the best you could come up with?

11. yaketyyacc - Jun 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

don’t you know load that leftovers taste better than the meal the day before. and if what ND is recruiting is leftovers, man what a delicious meal is coming. and hey, you’re invited. ut ut, don’t knock it until you tried it.

12. irishdodger - Jun 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Leftovers? That’s rich. He’s committing a year in advance & LSU was recruiting him hard (& will continue to do so). You’re not too bright are you?

13. mediocrebob - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Hey Load, how come you never talk to me?

How’s penn st recruiting going? Ohhhh they’re waiting on Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State leftovers…and maybe Ohio U now too?

14. bearcatirishfan - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Don’t forget that bill o’brien has a complete butt on his chin, there everything he day’s is sh*t.

Nothing against the man just thought load would appreciate that since he seems to be an A man, probably more of catcher, Johnny bench called load.

• bearcatirishfan - Jun 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Says not days come on man auto correct.

15. ninthwardfriend - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Watched him play last year, just hope he keep’s his commitment. I live in New Orleans and travel the state watching HS football. I know alabama’s recruiter and LSU’s are in the mix!

16. 1historian - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I address this question to those of you who find it necessary to answer ‘the load’.

1) I am going to assume that the vast majority of you are Notre Dame grads.

EVERY response to one of his posts – either a response or a simple thumbs down – just keeps him coming back.

Haven’t you figured that out yet?

(Rpt #1)

17. Keith Arnold - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Sorry guys — My bad on the title typo. Fixed and fixed in the body as well.

18. irishpuma - Jun 26, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Keith Dome Riders 15 make it happen captain.