JR Sandlin joins football support staff

Jun 27, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT

JR Sandlin

Notre Dame has added a new member to its football staff, with J.R. Sandlin joining the administrative side of the program. Sandlin will help the Irish’s recruiting efforts as well as handle other behind the scenes duties for the program.

The move comes after head coach Brian Kelly lost one of his key behind-the-scenes staffers earlier this year when director of football personnel Tim McDonnell took a scouting position with the New York Giants.

Sandlin won’t be filling McDonnell’s role directly, but is more than capable of playing a role in the Irish recruiting efforts. He spent part of last year working as Tennessee’s director of recruiting, but left the program in April.

“J.R. has moved on and is no longer part of the program,” Jones told the Knoxville News Sentinel in April.

Tennessee’s loss seems to be the Irish’s gain, and Sandlin will bring with him the experience of being part of Alabama’s recruiting machine, where he spent three years managing the day to day operations of the Tide’s recruiting efforts.

Before that, Sandlin spent two years working as a recruiting specialist for UCF, where he played tight end for George O’Leary at Central Florida.

1. fw190wuerger - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Rumor has it that Kelly brought Sandlin aboard to see if the unWashed Load who posts here will cut the Notre Dame program a break and actually say something nice for once.

We’ll see if this works.

2. loadofwash - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Georgie boy taught this guy. Watch out domers, you’ll be getting a new breed.

3. papadec - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

load – you’re back! Couldn’t stay away from the cookie jar? What are you going to do when the Irish consistently put up double digit win seasons & get an annual invite to the BCS playoffs? I guess you can always slink back to the psu website.

4. onward2victory - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Speaking of new-hires, has anyone heard a follow-up to the rumor that Vanderdoes’ trainer was getting hired at UCLA?

5. loadofwash - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Happy days are here again… wait a minute, me thought we were talking bout them buckeyes. Too many what if’s from ND. Been that way far too long fellas. Bowl season just not part of tradition for the domers. Plenty of laughs along the way though.

• papadec - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM

load – if tOSU is Bowl eligible this year, I think there is a very good chance a team from the “Rust Belt” will knock the teams from the “PED (sec) Belt” out of the #1 spot, this season. I already put $50 down on the Irish @ 40-1 to win it all. If we win – hell, it’s party time! If not, at least I put my money where my heart & mouth are, and it’s only $50.

• sharptux44 - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:20 PM

You got the laughing part right. But those laughs are mostly directed at your poor grammar and out of date language. Methinks you should insult people with words that are relevant in the century you live in, you poor man’s Mark May!

6. loadofwash - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM

See ya $50!

• papadec - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM

load – you gonna give me the same 40-1 I can get in Vegas?

• 1historian - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that ‘load’ has shot his wad of nasty and it has done pretty much no damage – had no effect at all – and the stuff he is posting now is pretty harmless?

No edge at all. Or is it just me that believes that?

• papadec - Jun 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM

1hist – I think load is gagging on the 40-1. He shot his load a long time ago – just got redundant & boring.

7. irish13pa - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM

if OSU does not make it to 11 wins with that schedule something is wrong. That is the cheesiest schedule I have seen in quite some time. I think the big east teams have harder schedules than that.

So Jr is going to bring in some southern boys to ND? Can they read??? Can they spell? (although I should not rag on anyone in that department)… can they pass a class???? I dont think ND has had that many problems getting the kids to want to go there. Its the demanding student part of it most of them do not like. They can go to Bama, OSU, Florida, Georgia, ect, and do the bare minimal when it comes to academics. It still takes a certain kind of kid (education minded) to want to come to ND reguardless who is trying to get them to come.

• kansasirish - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Your right that schedule is pathetic! I guess we’ll have to hope Mich can knock them off the last game. I use to like Urban, but now seems extremely arrogant and it has nothing to do with him punkin ND.

8. jerseyshorendfan1 - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I hope O’Leary didn’t help him put his resume together.

9. padomer - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I like to think I follow ND recruiting relatively closely, but had no idea what role Tim McDonnell played as part of it. Can anyone explain to me what exactly Sumlin will be responsible for: is it something like he’s the one who directs each coach on what high schools to go to, or what players that look good on film? Or does he actually make in-home visits and the “hands-on” stuff along those lines?

• irish4006 - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I will take a wild guess and say that Sumlin will continue to recruit for Texax A&M and work on becoming an SEC powerhouse, for at least a few more years.