The evolution of Louis Nix

Jul 2, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT

Louis Nix

As we spend a summer obsessed with the fact that blue-chip defensive lineman Eddie Vanderdoes decided to leave Notre Dame before ever arriving, Louis Nix‘s story is a great reminder of what perseverance and commitment look like.

Nix, who committed to Notre Dame after Charlie Weis was fired and before Brian Kelly was hired, seemed on paper like a guy that picked the Irish because of his love for the school.

Far from it.

“I went from hating this place to loving it,” Nix said in his interview for UND.com and Fighting Irish Digital Media. “When I walked in the door overweight, thinking I’m going to be the big man on campus, to I’m out of shape, I couldn’t finish a workout. I couldn’t run, lot of people didn’t expect me to be where I’m at.”

As Nix prepares for his senior season at Notre Dame, UND.com takes a great look at the player and person the preseason All-American has become. One thing is for sure — he’s a great ambassador for the school.

***

1. kiopta1 - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Good stuff. Hope he can pick up a leadership role for the younger Def players. Go Irish.

2. 25kgold - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM

St. Nix–Passing out gifts all season long!

3. heisenbyrg - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I’m going to appreciate Big Lou this year. Every game, every interview, and especially Senior Day. I hope everyone else does as well. He’s a goodkind.

4. mtflsmitty - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Talk about a guy who has grown up a ton, developed an incredible work ethic, and has been amazingly disciplined about his workouts and diet. Going into his sophomore year, he was thought to be a part time player because he simply lacked the fitness level required to consistently play 2-3 plays every defensive series.

He deserves everything good that comes his way.

5. jerseyshorendfan1 - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:48 AM

If Rees doesn’t pan out, we all know that big Lou can play some QB. Seriously though, this guy is a classic example of how this University turns boys into men.

6. jerseyshorendfan1 - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Also I just watched the und.com interview of Corey Robinson. Has anyone seen this? He’s a bright, articulate, personable kid who reminds me of a young Obama (without the Choom van of course). What a great kid and a great credit to his Mother and the Admiral.

• tburke9601 - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Where did you find that? I went looking and couldnt find it anywhere.

• masalaswag - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM

like father, like son

7. yaketyyacc - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Louis Nix, you said it better then anyone has. you are a model to upcoming players and students, wondering what chance they may have. you are a NOTRE DAME MAN.

8. tpdsdomer - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Please count me as one Notre Dame zealot who is not spending the summer obsessed over Eddie Vanderdoes. I care about the young men on the University of Notre Dame football team and very little about those at UCLA or whatever school Vanderdoes is enrolled at this week. It takes an all-in commitment to succeed as a student-athlete at Notre Dame and Vanderdoes proved to all of us that he didn’t have that, so I’m glad he moved on. I suggest we all do the same. GO IRISH!!!

9. irishfootball55 - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Nasty Dawg along with the other members of the DLine, Stephon Tuitt, Sheldon Boyd -Day and OLB Edge rusher Prince Shembo have a chance to have a special year. The ND defense is a reason why to have high expectations this season even with the loss of Golson. EV could have learned alot about maturity and commitment from Big Lou. Instead Eddie is going to Westwood where he will watch football this fall instead of pushing himself to be the best player and student he could.

• irish4006 - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM

There we go again. People can change their mind, in fact it takes some maturity to sometimes say “I was wrong” and go a different direction. EV, for whatever reason, decided to go to a different school (which is, by the way, just as good academically; if not better if that is also on his list of priorities) and he lost a year of eligibility as punishment. It is people like you who can’t seem to move on.

I am an alum and the biggest fan (to the best of ‘my’ knowledge), to me it is a classless act to bash a kid (any kid) who decides to pick xx school (esp. if the school is also a top ranked academic institution) over ND.

We only have 85 scholarships and wouldn’t take all 850 who are interested in getting an offer from ND. It is ND’s right to choose who they want to bring in and it is the recruit’s right to choose where they want to enroll. I try to stay away from preaching what others should or should not do, but please give us a break from this constant whining.

10. ndnapa - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM

The remarkable growth and success of Louis, both on and off the field, should be a central part of the ND recruiting story for years to come. That and the fact he will be a top 15 draft pick. I think Mr. Holley and Mr Elam will notice, among others.

11. irish4006 - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Nix surprised me with his athleticism all season last year. Every time he jumped up to break a pass, dove to tackle someone (or fall on someone, ;-)), I was pleasantly surprised by his quick feet, change of direction and how effective he was in releasing the block and get to the ball; considering what a big man he is. He was actually pretty close to intercepting a couple of batted/broken passes where he dove full length to get the ball. It is even more impressive when I hear about where he was and how far he has come.

If he continues on the same path this year, the future looks really, really bright. Oh, did I mention that he was my favorite player on this team?

12. gtizzo - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Defensive linemen who gives a great interview…won’t find that in the SEC. He is going to be a beast this season. My guess is that Temple is going to get tired of hearing the name Louis Nix…believe me they will hear it often. Don’t be surprised if “Mom” tells him to come back to ND next season…and he listens.

13. ibleedirish - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Louis is the man, we are fortunate to have him, and I dare say, he’s been fortunate to be at ND. Can’t wait to enjoy his final season.

At 1:10 in the video, anyone else notice how HUGE Jarron Jones is? What are everyone’s thoughts on his eventual contributions?

14. fnc111 - Jul 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Still needs to get in better shape…. He was owned versus the Alabama Crimson Antlers. Big year for him $$$$ wise coming up.

• mattymill - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Did you watch the game or just see the final score? Nix was one of the few bright spots for the Irish. Just last week, ESPN’s draft analyst looked at Nix’s game vs Bama and in his words said Nix was the only guy he saw all year put Warmack “on skates”. Please don’t comment just to comment. Put some thought into what you’re saying.

• shaunodame - Jul 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

dumb

15. mikes1160 - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Really fnc? How did he grade out douchebag? Just leave…

16. mgavin78 - Jul 11, 2013 at 4:48 AM