Golson plans to be back in the spring

Jul 8, 2013, 3:00 AM EST

Everett Golson

Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson, who is suspended from the university this semester for what he called using “poor academic judgment,” spoke on camera for the first time since the incident.

Playing in a local charity basketball game in his hometown of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Golson publicly acknowledged the plan for him to return this spring, news that isn’t exactly breaking, but still a relief for those Irish fans worried that the exile could become permanent.

While Golson was careful about what he could and couldn’t discuss, he was pretty emphatic about his future plans with the Fighting Irish.

“I can tell you this. I will be returning,” Golson told Myrtle Beach’s WPDE. “I look forward to returning in the spring. That’s pretty much it.”

Golson started eleven games for the Irish during his redshirt freshman season, leading the Irish in passing with 2,405 yard and 12 touchdowns. In his place senior Tommy Rees will return to the starting lineup.

What Golson didn’t discuss is the roadmap for his return and whether or not he’d be taking classes this semester at another college. In the past, when a high profile player like Julius Jones left for a semester because of academic issues, Jones enrolled at a college to supplement his academic work. What Golson plans to do this fall hasn’t publicly been discussed by either Golson or anyone at Notre Dame.

Here are the clips of Golson’s interview, with a nifty highlight of the former North Carolina basketball recruit on the hardwood in the second video.

***

***

1. seanb20124 - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Hope charity basketball game is NCAA approved

2. fnc111 - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Charity game? Looked like a pick-up game at a rinky dink gym.

3. yaketyyacc - Jul 8, 2013 at 8:05 AM

good that he is coming back. I think his role will be different. more like taking tommy rees’ place, then being the no 1 quarterback. now, the important thing is for him to get his degree.
    there is a new Irish team in town, bigger tougher and faster, a “mob” so to speak, donned by the “Mallet Zaire”.

4. bernhtp - Jul 8, 2013 at 8:50 AM

While I’m a Golson fan, Everett should shut up or be willing to answer the tough questions directly. This interview goes over about as well as Linday Lohan and her poor shopping judgement. I would rather see him work on himself away from the camera, especially if he really intends to return.

• nudeman - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Think you’re being a little tough on him there, bern.

It’s obviously an incredibly uncomfortable and embarrassing thing and he’s probably been advised that the less he says about what transpired, the better. If given truth serum I’m sure he’d confess that what he did was stupid and wrong and he deserves what he got. At least that’s what I hope he’d say.

One other thing: Not in any way making excuses for him or indirectly impugning anyone else’s integrity, but don’t you think that the difference between Golson and a lot of others who’ve come through ND over the years is that he got caught? I don’t think everyone cheats, I know it’s his second transgression, but he’s the not first guy to plagiarize (or whatever it was he did). He got caught.

Anyway, onward. It is what it is. I’d actually prefer not to hear his name until January.

• bernhtp - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Yes, cheating is not uncommon, but my guess is that it was egregious and repeated in Golson’s case for him to garner a suspension. His academic struggles were publicized his freshman year, which hindered his development, and my bet (no knowledge) is that he had an issue with poor academic judgement then. Given that suspensions are not (generally) given for a first offense – you get a lesser penalty such as a failing grade for the exam/assignment or course – he seems to have not learned from his experience and the inevitably strong admonitions.

Again, he should shut up or be more in the mode of mea maxima culpa. I vote for the former.

• bearcatirishfan - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

It looks like he got cornered at this game, I doubt he was expecting the interview. Just out of curiosity was there no way for him to attend summer school and make up for his transgressions that way?

• nudeman - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I don’t see him out there, doing a ton of interviews and saying stupid stuff like “I got screwed”.

Just because there was no mea culpa here doesn’t mean he’s not sorry and hasn’t told the team as much privately.In fact I’d be surprised to learn that hasn’t happened.

He owes that to his teammates and coaches. He owes us nothing.

5. irishking - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I am very disappointed in Golson. He has a lot of proving himself to do.

6. goldenirishson - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

You kno some on here think they no it all and he’s doing his punishment isnt that enough for you ? now if he comes back your going to hear about is he rusty ? can he he get back to true form yada yada yada. give him a break he’s only human i’m sure some on here who thinks they got a great deal at best buy would have the kahohnie’s to go back and say hey you didn’t charge me enough so don’t go and spiel your cumulative correctness until you walk in his shoes which will be never it’s easy to hold him as an easy target but don’t judge’ i’m sure you wouldn’t like it… that reporter is nothing but a 2bit hustler itching for take I’m glad EG said what he did’ he looked at that reporter like where you been livin freakin mar’s … ok my rant is over with just like i was over him getting suspended next freakin man in get a grip geeeze..

• nudeman - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That reporter absolutely HAD to ask about his expulsion.

If you were the station manager and you’d heard he just got an intvw with Golson and they just talked about the charity bball game … what would you say?

HINT: It would start with “How long have you worked here, not counting tomorrow?”

• goldenirishson - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Nude as i reflect yes he was doing his job as a reporter but let me think here anybody that followed this story knew about the privacy limitations meaning not even EG cou7ld say anything more then ND and that’s what i meant’ about the reporter shouldn’t he know that? or has he been livin on mars? the reporter thought he was going to trick EG into spieling ‘wrong’ i’m just wondering where the reporter got his degree? oh well it was my rant it just tee’s me off with the hypocrisy with some of these reporter’s

• goldenirishson - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Nude as i reflect yes he was doing his job as a reporter but let me think here anybody that followed this story knew about the privacy limitations meaning not even EG could say anything more then ND and that’s what i meant’ about the reporter shouldn’t he know that? or has he been livin on mars? the reporter thought he was going to trick EG into spieling ‘wrong’ i’m just wondering where the reporter got his degree? oh well it was my rant it just tee’s me off with the hypocrisy with some of these reporter’s

7. 25kgold - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Golson/Zaire combo will be real tough to beat!

8. dermmite - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Tommy’s going to be a beast. Montana like beast. Fuck you haters.

• nudeman - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM

No he isn’t

• bernhtp - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Yes, we remember. Tommy did beat out Nate.

9. rcali - Jul 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM

That’s okay Everett, we’ve moved on.

10. ndnut - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Happy to see Golson take his punishment like a man and not transfer to a junior college or FCS/D-2 school.

11. 25kgold - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM

All we need Tommy to do this year is just be the game manager he’s always been (just better at that). NO NEED for him to start getting all superstar on us this year–trying to prove anything outside the box! There’s enough athletes (left) on this team that can make the big plays. Just distribute Tommy, distribute.