Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson, who is suspended from the university this semester for what he called using “poor academic judgment,” spoke on camera for the first time since the incident.
Playing in a local charity basketball game in his hometown of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Golson publicly acknowledged the plan for him to return this spring, news that isn’t exactly breaking, but still a relief for those Irish fans worried that the exile could become permanent.
While Golson was careful about what he could and couldn’t discuss, he was pretty emphatic about his future plans with the Fighting Irish.
“I can tell you this. I will be returning,” Golson told Myrtle Beach’s WPDE. “I look forward to returning in the spring. That’s pretty much it.”
Golson started eleven games for the Irish during his redshirt freshman season, leading the Irish in passing with 2,405 yard and 12 touchdowns. In his place senior Tommy Rees will return to the starting lineup.
What Golson didn’t discuss is the roadmap for his return and whether or not he’d be taking classes this semester at another college. In the past, when a high profile player like Julius Jones left for a semester because of academic issues, Jones enrolled at a college to supplement his academic work. What Golson plans to do this fall hasn’t publicly been discussed by either Golson or anyone at Notre Dame.
Here are the clips of Golson’s interview, with a nifty highlight of the former North Carolina basketball recruit on the hardwood in the second video.
With rain falling and the forecast expecting much more, Notre Dame and Clemson are kicking off in primetime anyway.
College GameDay was on campus this morning, showcasing the soggy conditions and the mud-covered campus. And while some wondered whether or not the kickoff would move up to earlier in the day to take advantage of a slight lull in the conditions, kickoff is remaining at 8:22 p.m.
“We’ve been in constant communication with state and local law enforcement and have monitored weather throughout the week and today,” director of athletics Dan Radakovich said in a statement Friday night. “I’ve spoken with campus leaders, State Highway Patrol, and Governor Nikki Haley, and feel confident we can play the game as scheduled. We ask our fans to be conscientious arriving and departing from our campus as we will have some limitations due to this ongoing weather event.”
Ball security will be key this evening, and during an interview with Tom Rinaldi this morning Kelly mentioned the punting and kick game as concerns in these conditions. The Irish came to Clemson prepared for miserable conditions and if the forecast holds, they’ll get just that.
Notre Dame’s tight end recruiting keeps rolling. The Irish received a commitment from Illinois tight end Cole Kmet, who adds a third piece to Notre Dame’s 2017 recruiting class.
Kmet is a 6-foot-4, 230-pounder, joining fellow blue-chipper 2017 tight end Brock Wright in next year’s recruiting class (they won’t sign until February 2017). He had early offers from plenty of the top programs around the country, but picked Notre Dame over finalist Ohio State, a nice recruiting victory for Scott Booker and Brian Kelly.
Kmet talked about the decision with Irish 247 who broke the news:
“I think it was just a gut feeling knowing it was Notre Dame,” Kmet to Irish 247. “I didn’t want to pass on playing for that program and attending that university. It’s always been the school I wanted an offer from and Ohio State made it really close, but I just couldn’t pass on Notre Dame.”