WR Corey Holmes commits to Notre Dame

Jul 17, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT

Orlando Sentinel Orlando Sentinel

In a decision that was a long time coming, Fort Lauderdale wide receiver Corey Holmes committed to Notre Dame today, giving the Irish another top flight wide receiver in the recruiting class.

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound wide receiver from powerhouse program St. Thomas Aquinas had offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Michigan, Oklahoma, Stanford, and UCLA among a dozen others. After visiting South Bend four times in the past year, and fresh off a visit to Westwood to visit Jim Mora’s Bruins, Holmes thought the timing was right to commit.

“I felt Notre Dame had everything I wanted more than other schools,” Holmes told Irish Illustrated. “That kinda made it easy for me to make my decision.”

The easy decision came after a lot of hard work by the Irish coaching staff to get back into Aquinas, one of the top college feeder programs in Florida. After pulling Sam Young from the school and snapper-punter combination Jordan Cowart and Ben Turk, the Irish have been bridesmaids once too often when top prospects picked colleges.

But Holmes is a national recruit that pairs two top receivers in the Irish fold, with Justin Brent and Holmes both impressing at The Opening. While he might not be as explosive as Brent, he’s a smooth operator that plays in a college ready system, and has the ability to both stretch the field and do damage in the screen game.

That makes 15 recruits for the Irish in the ’14 class, with wide receiver an important focal point in the class.

***

1. 25kgold - Jul 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM

• andy44teg - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I don’t usually get too impressed watching a high schooler’s highlights, but when he ran down the sidelines and then stopped on a dime and cut to the outside, leaving the DB in the dust, I literally said “whoa” out loud. Kid looks real good.

• lambda02750 - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

He definitely has a good physical makeup for the position and he has a decent highlight tape, but those drops on the second video will have to be fixed. I have no doubts that the ND staff will get him ready.

2. jerseyshorendfan1 - Jul 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Very fluid running style, knows where the sticks are, has good hands making difficult catches look easy and already looks good in blue and gold. Great pick up.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Jul 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I failed to mention he looks hard to bring down as well.

3. seadomer - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I was abt to say the same thing … looking good in ND colors …. exactly what we’ll see happening in 2014 and beyond with reloaded O and D, Elite CBs, ILBs, RBs …… I CANNOT WAIT. If all this come to fruition, ND will finally start an era like USC last decade and BAMA recently.

4. gtizzo - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM

ND has a back, receiver, QB and some offensive linemen. Another recruiting cycle and we have another whole offensive team (actually I think we may be short on the linemen, but I’m sure more are on the way). Nice balanced approach in recruiting and this kid could be a play maker.

5. mtflsmitty - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Also looks like the quality of his competition in HS is pretty top-shelf. Hes probably a lbit to slender right now. Bit he’ll add 15 lbs easy, and probably get faster too. Wonder if his QB is being highly recruited. Kid looks good too.

The play where Holmes goes up for the ball between the four defensive back actually reminds me a lot of myself.

• mtflsmitty - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I would have been the defensive back totally out of position and looking clueless.

6. hotlantalaw - Jul 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Great add

7. ndadvocate - Jul 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Awesome addition. However, i’ll be a little anxous until we sign a good DT.

8. kiopta1 - Jul 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I am hoping to hear we land Yeargin(spelling) and at least one of Holley and Elam.

9. bernhtp - Jul 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Now that the commitment of Holmes is so old news, I’m wondering about the visit of Connor Brewer, UT QB, who has been released by Texas for transfer. On the face of it, a pro-style QB that gave up on climbing the depth chart at UT after his first year does not bode well for success at ND. I guess he is getting a tryout, but wonder about Kelly’s thoughts on this given his dim view of of the transfer of the more-highly-rated Gunner Kiel. Also, if you can’t beat out David Ashe, then there’s little chance you will play in front of Malik Zaire or a returned Everett Golson.

I just don’t think so.

10. fnc111 - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

For some odd reason Brewer will attend U of A.

11. teedraper - Aug 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM

He committed to ND bc be has no committable in state offers!