Jul 17, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
In a decision that was a long time coming, Fort Lauderdale wide receiver Corey Holmes committed to Notre Dame today, giving the Irish another top flight wide receiver in the recruiting class.
The 6-foot-2, 175-pound wide receiver from powerhouse program St. Thomas Aquinas had offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Michigan, Oklahoma, Stanford, and UCLA among a dozen others. After visiting South Bend four times in the past year, and fresh off a visit to Westwood to visit Jim Mora’s Bruins, Holmes thought the timing was right to commit.
“I felt Notre Dame had everything I wanted more than other schools,” Holmes told Irish Illustrated. “That kinda made it easy for me to make my decision.”
The easy decision came after a lot of hard work by the Irish coaching staff to get back into Aquinas, one of the top college feeder programs in Florida. After pulling Sam Young from the school and snapper-punter combination Jordan Cowart and Ben Turk, the Irish have been bridesmaids once too often when top prospects picked colleges.
But Holmes is a national recruit that pairs two top receivers in the Irish fold, with Justin Brent and Holmes both impressing at The Opening. While he might not be as explosive as Brent, he’s a smooth operator that plays in a college ready system, and has the ability to both stretch the field and do damage in the screen game.
That makes 15 recruits for the Irish in the ’14 class, with wide receiver an important focal point in the class.
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Pregame Six Pack: Send off at Stanford 43
- And in that corner… The Stanford Cardinal 55
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. BYU 45
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) (96)
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford (79)
- Notre Dame accepts bid to play in Pinstripe Bowl (73)
- Friday notes: Additions, Bowls, Coaches and Departures (70)
- Rumors swirl as Chuck Martin looks headed for Miami (OH) head job (29)