Blue-chip LB Richard Yeargin III commits to Irish

Aug 2, 2013, 10:07 PM EST

Richard Yeargin III

On a day where the Irish kicked off their current season, they received a commitment that will be a key piece to their future. Blue-chip linebacker Richard Yeargin III of Fort Lauderdale committed to Notre Dame today, adding a much needed linebacker to the depth chart.

“I am officially committed to the University of Notre Dame,” Yeargin tweeted.

Yeargin, a 6-foot-3, 225-pounder had offers from Clemson, Florida, Michigan, USC, Miami, Stanford, UCLA among a few dozen others. He had just taken an unofficial visit to Florida for their Friday Night Lights weekend.

Yeargin caught up with BlueandGold.com and broke down why he decided to pull the trigger now.

“I was just ready to end things and I knew that I wanted to be at Notre Dame,” Yeargin told BlueandGold.com. “I’ve known for a while that this is where I wanted to go, but I just wasn’t ready to announce anything. I’m really glad to get this process behind me and focus on football and academics.

Yeargin made an appearance at The Opening last month, where he impressed with his athleticism and ability to move in space. Yeargin projects as a Cat linebacker, but also has the side and ability to slide inside if needed.

Yeargin is the 16th member of the ’14 recruiting class and the second straight from Fort Lauderdale, joining wide receiver Corey Holmes.

***

1. kiopta1 - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Go IRISH! Welcome to the Golden Army.

2. irishfootball55 - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM

UCLA made an offer they will continue to hound the kid with promises and bullshit.

• bernhtp - Aug 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I hope he doesn’t have a grandmother that is old and might get sick.

3. dudeacow - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I’m pretty sure he has more offers than anyone in the country. Pretty much everyone was knocking on his door.

4. hotlantalaw - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Great news!

5. 4horsemenrideagain - Aug 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Always nice to attract kids from faraway hotbeds of talent like Florida. Now we need some more from Texas and even after the EV soap opera, some more from California.

From his tape yeargin looks pretty raw, but man does he move! Good frame, good wheels and he has a nose for the ball. Get him on longo’s program and give him time to beef up and he will be a contributor.

6. fnc111 - Aug 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Tommy petitions for fifth year of eligibility!

• seadomer - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Actually, I rather like the idea of TR as a super reliable backup that strolls in ice cold and executes.

7. shaunodame - Aug 3, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Love it. Especially considering how many of our Rival programs were after him also.

Great news, Go Irish!

8. oldschoollyons - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM

4horsemen has it exactly right. On film, Yeargin is both fast and quick. When the ball is in the air, he’s a hawk. However, he needs to improve his strength because so far he is not able to fight through blockers very well. He also needs to work on coverage. Although his speed enables him to stay with receivers, he seems to play off receivers too much. Strong football schools pursued him hard, but the rating services all have him as a good but middle-level recruit. Yet he was invited to the Opening and other top camps this summer and did pretty well.

In other words, he has a high skill level and potential. But although he is very fit, he needs to work with Coach Longo to develop more strength and muscle weight while still maintaining his speed. Next to Prince Shembo and Ishaq Williams, he would look small now. He has upside but will have to get bigger and tougher to play CAT.

9. domerboyirish - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I hate to be Mr. Negativity here but I am trying to bring a little realism to this post. Why does this kid qualify to be labeled Blue Chip? This is based on what? He has plenty of impressive offers and he looks like a stud in the video, but I checked out a few rating services and they don’t project him as a Blue Chip type player. E$PN, Rivals and 247 all have him as a four star player but not of them include him in their top 250 players in the country. They don’t even have him in the top 30 players from the state of Florida. Do you expect his national rankings to change in the future to justify the label? Personally I reserve that adjective for universally projected 5-star recruits.

Keith, thanks for the continued updates and player projections over the last month. I’m all pumped up for practices to get started. I hope Temple is ready to get punched in the mouth as we set the tone for the rest of the season.

• nudeman - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM

To this post and the one talking about him needing strength:

1) Is there a single HS player in the entire country who doesn’t need to add strength? And would you feel better if he was 240lbs? Because that’s what he’ll weigh this time next year. And probably 250 by this time 2015. An athletic guy who’s 6’3″, 250 lbs. is welcome to play on my team anytime. Size and strength don’t concern me when a kid is only 17.

2) Re: his rating, not concerned there either. If his other offers were from Lower Kentucky State and Northern Illinois I might say “wtf?”. But Michigan, USC, Florida and Stanford wanted him. I place more stock in that.

• martyhealy - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Nudeman is right!

The kid may not be a five star or at least not yet.

The scouting services have a few talent scouts each. Collectively the teams have hundreds to thousands of scouts when you factor in HS coaches that rate these kids. The scouting services rank the kids based upon a large part the interest of other experts and not their own. The scouting services have a tough enough time updating their sites and trying to figure out what the consensus is.they probably constantly review their ranking to the other services and adjust if they think they are off.

• wisner74 - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Totally agree with that one, Nude. I’ll go with the guys who feed their families by knowing how to pick the right 20-25 kids a year who will be good players in college. Of course, they don’t always get it right either, but they have a lot more skin in the game.

I enjoy the rating services and check them frequently, but to me they are pretty much the football equivalent of US News & World Report’s college rankings. They are all just lists, and no doubt they have some correlation to reality, but if you pick/don’t pick a college or a HS football player based upon where it or he sits on a list, I think that’s a mistake.

I always thought it would be interesting to see how good these services prove to be 4-5 years down the road. How many of the 5-stars or top 100s end up as great college players? How many are busts? How many 3-stars or not listed guys end up as great college players? I’m not saying these guys don’t know what they are doing, but I’ll take a kid with offers from USC, Florida, Ohio State, etc. who is not so highly ranked over a highly ranked kid whose not getting those kind of offers any day.

• martyhealy - Aug 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I would not be surprised as an April Fool prank, if three of the four major recruiting services made up a fictitious player and rated the kid a high three star linebacker from somewhere in the middle of Montana, a month later ESPN would have the kid up there as a middle three star talent. LOL

That reminds me of one of the funniest hoax: See Below from Wikapedia

” Maguire University is a fictitious college invented in 1963 by a group of Chicago high school basketball coaches, for the sole purpose of securing tickets to the NCAA Final Four.
        Maguire “University” is born,

The idea was hatched by then-Fenwick High School coach Len Tyrrell at Maguire’s Pub in Forest Park, Illinois. The NCAA fell for it, and so did at least one real school: the United States Air Force Academy, who contacted Tyrrell (Maguire’s self-proclaimed “Chancellor”) and asked to play his nonexistent team.
        Maguire (nicknamed “the Jollymen”) received Final Four tickets for two years, until Bill Jauss wrote about the scam in The Chicago Tribune. The NCAA was not amused. The coaches then had to acquire their own tickets, and at least one of them has attended every Final Four (or, as they call it, Final Five) ever since. Maguire’s motto, “We Play Hurt,” is a reference to the hangovers accrued by Maguire’s “students.” ”

“Jollymen” logo, as of 2012
        Tyrrell grew the faux-university’s “enrollment” from the original eight members to well over 150 in the thirty-plus years he ran the phony school. He was also named Maguire’s first Hall of Fame member, after resigning his position in 2000. Kelly’s Pub, on Webster Street in Chicago, serves as the college’s “campus” since the closing of Maguire’s Pub in 1988.

• martyhealy - Aug 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Fenwick HS in the story was where heisman trophy winner Johnny Lattner went and also walk on Joe Romano.

• nudeman - Aug 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Hugely funny
        I actually went to grade school with the Tyrrells in Westchester, IL
        Tremendously athletic family and apparently high achievers in the pubs as well

• martyhealy - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Small world!
        i bet you went to Q’s pizza in Hilllside on Butterfield Rd (also known as Washington Blvd in Chicago, Oak Park, Forest Park)

I went to Fenwick on Wash.Blvd and lived on Washington Blvd on west side of Chicago.
        I was in Maguire’s when I was like 10 years old back in the 60′s.
        Probably drinking Pepsi.

Occasionally you go into a small usually old bar in Chicago area and you see an old worn out dusty pennant of “Maguire University” up there with the ones of Notre Dame, Michigan etc.

Len Terrell was football coach at Fenwick, he was my gym coach.

The story goes that they filled out a form to secure information of all universities across the USA with tickets if they did. Their address and phone given was maguire’s. Therefore the US Air Force looking at the directory thought they could schedule a cupcake. So they called the bar. SEC teams are still trying. LOL

You tube

Maguire U has a web site but be aware their admission policies are among the toughest in the NCAA for a Division 1 school powerhouse.

• domerboyirish - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Marty, as a Fenwick guy myself (’85) I find this hysterical. Go Friars!

• nudeman - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

marty
        We moved to Mt. Prospect when I was 10 so by the time I was going out for pizza and drinking whatever, I was up north a piece. Loved Westchester.

Went to HS at St.Viator in Arl. Hts.

• martyhealy - Aug 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Domerboy, look at the 52 second mark of the first video on Utube. Loaded with Fenwick Friars and ND alums.
        Maguire U was affiliated with the independent conference, stadium played “Friar Field”
        Fieldhouse: “Lawless Stadium”
        Bill Shay coached fenwick basketball in the late 60′s

Second U tube video from ABC

Johnny Lattner in this one.

Go Friars

• domerboyirish - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:11 PM

All great stuff man! I may have to look into getting my masters degree there.

Go Friars, Go Irish!

10. seadomer - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I know most here do not care for Bleacher Report but if you need a few chuckles see article “Alabama Fan misspells Roll Tide tattoo”

• dillonbigred - Aug 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Classic, right up there with Ricky’s Rant on Youtube. I like how some Bama commenters don’t see the mistake even after reading the article and comments, or argue that it isn’t a mistake, and of course resort to name calling.

• martyhealy - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Dan Quayle is moonlighting!

11. papadec - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM

The McGuire’s Pub, you guys are talking about, reminds me of a “McGuire’s” I frequented in Rockaway, Queens, NY in the early 1960s. It was owned by a member of the basketball coaching McGuire family. A lot of Irish guys from Flatbush, Brooklyn & students from St John’s U, Queens, NY hung out there. Many, many good times – especially during the Summer. Ahhhhhhhhh youth – it’s wasted on the young.