Irish add another recruit with DL Matt Dickerson

Aug 3, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT

Scout.com Scout.com

Just a day after solidifying their linebacking corps with the commitment of linebacker Richard Yeargin III, the Notre Dame coaching staff reeled in another big time front seven target with the addition of defensive lineman Matt Dickerson.

Dickerson, a six-foot-five, 270-pounder from the Bay Area, took a visit at Notre Dame this weekend and pulled the trigger on his pledge before he left. Like they were on the Yeargin commitment, BlueandGold.com was all over the news, getting this money quote from Dickerson.

“There was no question that I was going here after Friday’s visit,” Dickerson told BlueandGold.com. “It was perfect. The coaches are great, the players are cool and this campus is really, really nice. My mom loves it here, too. She was definitely excited for me and although it’s far from home, she gave her blessing and this will be where I end up.”

The Irish were able to pull in a much needed defensive lineman — with Dickerson likely profiling as a defensive tackle for the Irish — helping bridge the gap for what life looks like after Louis Nix. Notre Dame will continue to chase blue-chip defensive tackles like Matt Elam and Thomas Holley, but getting Dickerson on board, one of the fastest rising prospects on the West Coast, was key as they move into the season.

Dickerson had offers from Oregon, UCLA, and USC, along with a half dozen other Pac-12 programs.  He’s the 17th commitment in the ’14 class, joining Jay Hayes as guys that could be defensive tackles for the Irish.

You can get a look at his highlight reel here.

1. kiopta1 - Aug 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Again Go IRISH! Welcome to the Golden Army.

• dickasman - Aug 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Lets hope he doesn’t get the golden showers initiation from the golden army and watch him transfer to ucla.

2. irishpuma - Aug 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Golden ARMY is Brigade size now! What a class. Great job coaches!

3. dickasman - Aug 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I looooooove his last name. He’s AKG fa sho(Asman kinda guy). Actually I hope he’s not an AKG. Probably get kicked off the football for telling the truth.

• bernhtp - Aug 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM

If he’s really an AKG, he might get kicked off the team, but not for telling the truth. Notre Dame’s tolerance for guys with coked up trannies is fairly low.

• dickasman - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

But rest be assured, I have learned my lesson but you never know bern, your daughter may someday decide to pay her own way through college by prostituting herself. Look at Suzy Favor Hamilton. While 99% of them were mostly focked in da head and extremely insecure, there were those 1%’s of the world who were like your daughter and licked me proper.

• bernhtp - Aug 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The Lord had mercy on my soul and didn’t give me a daughter, let alone one that would have endured that fate.

• dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Lol, he done you right then bern :-?

Seriously, you’ve never snorted a line or dabbled w escorts? Bern, what is/was your line of business?

• bernhtp - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Dick,

I’m a tech entrepreneur (serial). I just went back to work after being retired for a while (for the third time).

Never an escort and no coke. In most respects I’m embarrassingly straight.

• irishpuma - Aug 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Bern nice! no escorts or coke here either. Straight arrow in the golden state. However I have been smoking the crack pipe that is Notre Dame Football for my whole life. ND football I can’t quit you!

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Many surnames are derived from ancestral professions like Baker, Taylor, Cooper, Smith, Mason, Miller and Barber. I always wondered where they got Dickinson from.

• bernhtp - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Who could possibly give you thumbs down on that post? Sad to see stuffy guys on a football board.

• nudeman - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Agree. Borderline brilliant. Wish I’d thought of that.
        And there are clowns here who would give thumbs down to live footage of the Resurrection, were it posted.

• dickasman - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Lolololol high five for our ND Situation. Good one! Even sicko Einstein like myself missed it. Berno with regards to cocaine, ecstasy and escorts, and there are few others, I admit, I was wrong but you know by telling my story, I hope someone thinks that I am a scumbag dumbass of the earth and would dissuade themselves from doing the same you know. I regret snorting every 8ball, every blowjob, every a2m I have gotten from them….I really do.

• dickasman - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Jersey, they got it from Alabama, no doubt

• irishpuma - Aug 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM

LOL Nude none of us could afford the pay per view on that!

4. dickasman - Aug 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Wow 6ft 5 defensive tackle???

5. fnc111 - Aug 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

We all know signing day isnt until June now. It’s always good to recruit kids with class like Max Redfield though.

6. jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I’m happy that we cherry picked this guy right out of Stanford’s back yard. Sounds like several of the PAC 12 teams we’re interested. Good get.

7. 25kgold - Aug 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Wow; I just heard coach BK actually placed Pasadena (BCS Championship game) on the schedule!!!!! Not playing around! Go Irish!

8. 25kgold - Aug 3, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Book it!

• papadec - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already got my bet down on the Irish to take it all.

9. oldschoollyons - Aug 3, 2013 at 10:52 PM

For the 2014 class, especially recently, ND seems to be doing three things: (1) taking players who are on the rise even if their ratings are middle level or even lower; (2) taking guys who are clean-cut, articulate and intelligent; (1) acting now to fill in areas of need in case the five-star and high four-star players still on the board decide to go elsewhere. In other words, ND is choosing players with potential who have the size and speed they have profiled. They are also playing it safe so that they don’t get caught short with virtually nobody to play certain positions if they miss out on the top picks.

So far the quality of players recruited for 2014 seems nowhere near the players from the 2013 class who are about to start summer practice. Kelly seems intent on adding depth and trying to develop players who are not yet, but could be, very good players based on their size and skill set.

• gsprulz - Aug 4, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Tom Lemming said Dickerson is a better prospect than the much more highly sought after DT Thomas Holley.

• upthera44 - Aug 4, 2013 at 3:44 AM

I have the same impression. The RKG approach is definitely visible in this year’s class. From their interviews, almost everyone is articulate, down to earth and interested in Notre Dame for good reasons. I think the coaching staff has placed even more emphasis on this after getting burned by more and more ‘primadonnas’ and players who aren’t very compatible with ND culturally or academically. Vanderdoes, Ferguson, Neal, Golson are just the most recent examples.

It does seem like they’re covering their bases first and foremost and then hoping to pull in a few really elite recruits on the home stretch of recruitment. That’s where a great year this year would be clutch. Steamroll USC at the night game at home and watch them line up.

• nudeman - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Interesting point there.

I agree that – so far – everyone seems like an ND guy, unlike the guys you mention. When Vanderdoes committed I sort of said “huh?”. Rural town in CA, no obvious connection to the university; it just seemed odd. Neal was an even bigger shocker and his announcement drama was like watching an entire season of Snooki embarrassing herself at the Shore.

BUT … if it’s late January and a 5 star WKG (wrong kinda’ guy) is wavering between OSU and ND, Kelly won’t walk away. And I’m not saying that’s bad. If you’ve got 24 RKGs locked up, nothing wrong with taking a flyer on 1 or 2 WKGs. Just know that they’re probably 50/50 to get past the freshman year.

• 1historian - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Agreed – thumbs up. Let’s wait until after the HS football season is over and then get another appraisal. After the season today’s 3 to 4 star recruit might be promoted to 5.

For now – building depth on both lines, a good idea. He seems to have a lot of confidence in his coaches’ ability to take 3 & 4 star players and coach them up.

Considering that we’ve lost 2 5 stars in Lynch and Vanderdoes the depth and quality of the D line is a tribute to both the recruiting skills of Kelly’s staff and their coaching skills.

10. 1historian - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Aaron Lynch has been projected in the top 50 of next year’s draft after sitting out a year at USF.

• tsombanj - Aug 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Aaron Lynch will be a top ten pick. I don’t know if USF fans appreciate what they have on their hands. I’m rooting for him.

• bernhtp - Aug 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I hope Aaron started back to working hard a couple of months ago because reports prior to that said he did nothing since arriving at USF. He lost all of his muscle and got very badly out of shape.

• 1historian - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM

same here

• irishpuma - Aug 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM

It was reported that Lynch went on the IrishPuma diet and workout plan. He is totally screwed. It consists of pizza, chips, and split time between 8 hours a day watching TV and 4 hours scouring sycophant ND blog sites with 4 hours of video games. Followed by the best 2 minutes in the game and nightie night.

11. ndfightingirishfan - Aug 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Congrats to ND staff on the additions of Yeargin and Dickerson. I am pleased with their determination to get quality players on BOTH sides of the ball. As the saying goes, defense wins championships and ND should stay in contention for titles as long as this recruiting philosophy stays in tact.

GO IRISH!

12. 1historian - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Next year’s class is at 17. Does anyone know how many more there will be?
    (As in minimum and maximum)

• dickasman - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I’m hoping 69

• martyhealy - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM

From 2nd hand info the number was guesstimated between 19 to 22 early winter. Now, With Neal, Ferguson, Kiel, and Vanderdoes leaving, the numbers are probably 22 to 25. They gave a 2 yr schollie to a walk on linebacker Schmidt. Lot more variables this year with the QB situation, guys with eligibility that might go NFL, walk-ons, etc.

My hope is a top tier corner, nose tackle (they may have their man here in Dickerson),TE, WR.
      After that let the season play out and come DEC/JAN possibly an Offensive Lineman and a QB possibly.

13. mediocrebob - Aug 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Lynch had all the talent in the world. Problem was he couldn’t play disciplined within the system. There’s a reason why there were reports of people not liking him. He played selfishly and hung people out to dry. Maybe he got it figured out. I take Tuitt over Lynch all day.