Aug 5, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Notre Dame revealed their Shamrock Series uniforms today, fulfilling their annual duty of setting the internet ablaze with umbrage and strife as grown men complain about the loss of tradition and degradation of one of college football’s iconic uniforms.
And while there are certainly familiar haunts where the front porch is filled with rocking chairs angrily howling at the moon, the response to the uniforms is actually pretty consistent across the interwebs — Not too shabby!
After poking fun at last year’s uniforms (which looked way better when Notre Dame was beating Miami 41-3 than on a mannequin), I’ve got to say that I really enjoy the look of this year’s design.
I’m a fan of the white jerseys on white pants, and think the helmet is a cool twist with the shamrock on top of the traditional gold helmet. (Nobody needed the internet to break again with a 1/3 Navy helmet and a white leprechaun.) The uniform has a retro vibe but still manages to look cutting edge. (Dare I say Oregonian?)
The Irish will wear these uniforms in Cowboys Stadium when they take on Arizona State in primetime on October 5.
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 129
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 30, Purdue 14 81
- Pregame Six Pack: An all Hoosiers Shamrock Series 39
- And in that corner… The Purdue Boilermakers 41
- Even after shutout, Irish hope best is yet to come for young D 69