Notre Dame reveals Shamrock Series uniforms (Not bad!)

Aug 5, 2013, 11:49 AM EST

Shamrock Series

Notre Dame revealed their Shamrock Series uniforms today, fulfilling their annual duty of setting the internet ablaze with umbrage and strife as grown men complain about the loss of tradition and degradation of one of college football’s iconic uniforms.

And while there are certainly familiar haunts where the front porch is filled with rocking chairs angrily howling at the moon, the response to the uniforms is actually pretty consistent across the interwebs — Not too shabby!

After poking fun at last year’s uniforms (which looked way better when Notre Dame was beating Miami 41-3 than on a mannequin), I’ve got to say that I really enjoy the look of this year’s design.

I’m a fan of the white jerseys on white pants, and think the helmet is a cool twist with the shamrock on top of the traditional gold helmet. (Nobody needed the internet to break again with a 1/3 Navy helmet and a white leprechaun.) The uniform has a retro vibe but still manages to look cutting edge. (Dare I say Oregonian?)

The Irish will wear these uniforms in Cowboys Stadium when they take on Arizona State in primetime on October 5.

***

1. irishpuma - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Sick. Where can I buy? Settle down dickasman I won’t be modeling the pants for you.

• dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Puma Swede, your such a buzzkill. This would look sooo hottt on you babe. No bottoms, just wear the top for easy access babe!

2. mmanor01 - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I’m a fan. Very flashy, which should be good for a least one future 5* commit.

• c4evr - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Seeing as how we are batting around .500 with 5 star recruits that end up transferring, I think I’d rather have uniforms that appeal to 3 and 4 star players .

• dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM

C4, I’d rather fail w 4-5 star then fail w 3-4 star. At least we have moments of hope and excitement. I’d rather watch booger eating contest than watching bunch nobodies.

I mean football is part of entertainment isn’t it?

3. shaunodame - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet :)

4. 25kgold - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Gold.

5. irishfaithful666 - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I actually got chill bumps watching this. looks slick!

• dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I’d love to be your husband. Man you orgasm easy

6. dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Ohhhhhh maaaang, dis uniform is straight thuggggggiiiinnn yo!!! Imma have to get me sum themzzzz as soon as I get off houzzz arrests. ND izzzzz backbackbackbackbaccccck yooooo Holllllllllllaaaaaaa.

Seriously we just gained about 10 more dingleberry, Shepard, vanderdonts along w about 5 other hamster disciples just based on da uniform alone. I hope Kelly picks wisely.

Uniform izzzzz doooope fa shooooooo. Asman approved as I look forward to the matching jock strap release!

7. 25kgold - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

At least the school let Golson model the new uniforms! Is this a hint that he’ll be back?? ;0)

• dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Is that really him? I thought it was random Adidas black dude. Is Adidas and Notre Dame that focking cheap they can’t reshoot a 20 sec promo, wtf. Dudes a cheater. He’s prolly out Manzielling da hell outta those jerseys.

• mcirish27 - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Definitely not Golson…

• dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Ok that’s good but they are certainly insinuating it! I hope he comes back and all that but anything can happen in one year. Lets not insinuate a guy who is suspended for cheating. Oh wait, do we have a majority democrats on the board now? I get it we need to lower the standards a little I for one was all for it but we don’t need to promote him? We have…..oh wait, who do we have again guys? Help me! Tommy Reeessssss babyyyyy!

8. gmenfan1982 - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I just threw up in my mouth. Terrible. Stick with traditional unis. And not just because they are tradition, but also because they flat out look better.

• dickasman - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM

gspot, are you worried about possibility of being able to see more sweaty jockstrap lines along the buttock due to these all white uni’s like I am?

9. mediocrebob - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Was a fan of the originals against Michigan 2 years ago. The ones against Maryland were ok. Helmets were a little much. Last year…not a fan. This version looks good. I don’t think they’re even that flashy.

It’s happening every year whether you like it or not. That’s a big part of college football today. Gotta get over it. These are pretty good looking.

• dickasman - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM

mediocre I’d say bob, mediocre…

10. 4horsemenrideagain - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM

i know i sound like the grumpy old man, but why does ND insist on jumping on the bandwagon with stupid sh!t like this? music between plays is one thing, a jumbotron is certainly another and astroturf, well, that is its own issue. but these goofy uniforms, does it really generate that much buzz? does it really sell tickets? does it really get recruits excited? getting excited about uniforms is like getting excited about what flavor of jello is being served for dessert.

if this was tennis or golf, maybe i’d understand, but this is football!

• ibleedirish - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Yes, you do sound like a grumpy old man. And yes, recruits and current players (and some fans) get excited about the change of pace in the uniform department. You know, “swag” and all that happy horseshite. Myself, I could take it or leave it, but in the end, what does it hurt? Kids love it, ND gets to sell extra gear, (I’m Dick Asman looks stunning in that tight undershirt and nothing else).
      Notre Dame clings strongly to the traditions that matter (and they should) but one different jersey per year really doesn’t mean the world is going to hell in a hand-basket gramps. Just smile, fball season is near.

• dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Horseman, we don’t have a choice… Times have changed, I know it sucks but we have to give a little these days. You know we have black president who wants to make everybody a us citizen and everything is for sale in government. Lets just be glad that these came out looking much nicer than the previous.

• dickasman - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:12 AM

BTW, why are you being a racist against football?

• 4horsemenrideagain - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

i’m wasn’t being racist, i was being fascist, perhaps sexist and egoist and even a half-cup nihilist, but to be sure, I don’t believe in ism(s), I just believe in me.

11. stedward - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I think it is cool that they are wearing white in Cowboys Stadium since the Cowboys always wear white at home. Chrome green face mask is solid too along with the other green accents. Way better than last year and the tacky solid green shamrocks on the strangely patterned helmets from other iterations.

12. ndadvocate - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I was at the Miami game last year and those jerseys looked great in person. It’s o.k. old people, every other game will feature those fantastic solid gold helmets. Let the kids have a little fun! It is tough to be a Football player at Notre Dame!

• papadec - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:50 AM

hey ndad, who you callin’ old? I’m 70 – I like these.

13. c4evr - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I don’t care if they play in these uniforms as long as they win games:

• mbannon92 - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Hey, those might help increase the female fan base (looking past Big Lou and the O-Line, of course).

• dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Boengggggghghhggghggghghghhhg!!! And I ain’t talkin bout no planes mang! Sht looks like just another day in chicago. Walk down Michigan Ave one day you’ll see 12 yr olds n their mother walking around like this. I blame democrats who will accept loose morals for a $$$ any day

14. mbannon92 - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I’m not a HUGE fan of these – I do like the number font but I’m not sure about the white pants and gold shamrocks – but they’re certainly better than last year’s mess. And seeing some of the crap that teams have released this offseason these are pretty tame.

And special unis really do make a difference, although at this point they’re more to keep up with the times than stand out. So as long as they don’t leave the Shamrock Series, staying out of the House that Rockne built, I’m fine with them.

15. mediocrebob - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Yes it does attract recruits. It does create a buzz around the players. I’m a traditionalist but let them do their thing.

I agree. They could play in whatever they want. Means nothing if they aren’t celebrating a win in them after the game.

16. bernhtp - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

They look pretty good and at least they didn’t deface the golden dome this time. Last year’s designer is certainly spending a couple of extra centuries in purgatory for the sacrilege.

My only nit is that they’re a bit too white, though there’s no chance of grass stains in Cowboy Stadium. I’ll be there.

• dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Berno, I was thinking of going to the game…do you want to meet up and take me under your wings?

• bernhtp - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I’ll let you know when it gets closer. I don’t know when I am getting there and what activities I’m expected to attend. The wife will be in tow as well, so let’s skip the escorts this time.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM

i would be afraid, very, very afraid of what may be residing underneath that wing

• dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I do love the unis…I might actually buy these in XS so I can flash my gunz. I hope they make these in stretchy pima cotton material, I can’t stand 100% cotton any more. Guys once you go Pima cotton, you never go back

• dickasman - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM

If we really want to attract top recruits, make these in Louis Vuitton/Gucci pattern and watch bks phone be ringing off da hizzzzzzzzooooookkkkkl

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM

yeah you right.

• dickasman - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:16 AM

But But But…….Dam it. I ain’t going then

17. gmenfan1982 - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I understand there’s nothing we can do and that times are changing and all that, but I always thought even with all these other teams having crazy alternate uniforms that ND would keep it real. I guess I was wrong. But my biggest gripe is that I simply feel that the traditional blue and gold and white and gold just plain old look better.

18. mcmuskie79 - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Not a big fan of the alternate unis, but understand the reason behind them. As long as they are for the Shamrock Series only & worn on neutral site field, then I’m fine w/ them. I don’t want to see them worn at Notre Dame Stadium for any reason.

19. irishaggie - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM

They should wear these in a BCS game if they have to wear white. I really like these white uniforms. I love our uniform but wearing these in a BCS game might raise the excitement of the players and the excitement of the fans. Our blue uniforms are gorgeous and we should never change those but white is fun to play with.

20. danirish - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Well, at least they don’t suck as bad as last year’s.

21. irishpuma - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Sorry guys should have apologized in advance for waking up dickasman from hibernation. My bad for you old timers mea culpa.

• papadec - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Go in peace son – and don’t sin again.