Aug 6, 2013, 10:44 PM EST
Notre Dame completed their second day of training camp on Tuesday at Camp Shiloh, and while there was no media present, UND.com and Jack Nolan had exclusive access to the team.
As you’d expect for a team in just helmets, practice mostly consisted of the basics, though it was a full day of positional and special teams meetings, to go along with a full two hour practice. After the workout, Brian Kelly caught up with Nolan, and the head coach spoke about the advanced nature of a team that’s returning a large group of starters from a BCS National Championship appearance.
“We’ve got a veteran team, a lot of guys that have done this before,” Kelly said. “And then we’re starting to have an influx of younger guys, with a lot of competition and a lot of roles that have yet to be defined.”
Those position battles will start to take center stage in the coming days, with the Irish wearing shoulder pads and helmets tomorrow. We’ll see whether highly touted freshmen like Greg Bryant, Max Redfield and Jaylon Smith will be able to fight their way into the rotation, battling players with plenty of experience.
Here’s the entirety of Kelly’s talk with Jack Nolan at UND.com
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 76
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 78
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Pregame Six Pack: Send off at Stanford 43
- And in that corner… The Stanford Cardinal 54
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. BYU 45