Kelly talks consistency, depth on Day Two

Aug 6, 2013, 10:44 PM EST

Kiel Kelly

Notre Dame completed their second day of training camp on Tuesday at Camp Shiloh, and while there was no media present, UND.com and Jack Nolan had exclusive access to the team.

As you’d expect for a team in just helmets, practice mostly consisted of the basics, though it was a full day of positional and special teams meetings, to go along with a full two hour practice. After the workout, Brian Kelly caught up with Nolan, and the head coach spoke about the advanced nature of a team that’s returning a large group of starters from a BCS National Championship appearance.

“We’ve got a veteran team, a lot of guys that have done this before,” Kelly said.  “And then we’re starting to have an influx of younger guys, with a lot of competition and a lot of roles that have yet to be defined.”

Those position battles will start to take center stage in the coming days, with the Irish wearing shoulder pads and helmets tomorrow. We’ll see whether highly touted freshmen like Greg Bryant, Max Redfield and Jaylon Smith will be able to fight their way into the rotation, battling players with plenty of experience.

Here’s the entirety of Kelly’s talk with Jack Nolan at UND.com

***

1. nudeman - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Whatever …..

• bernhtp - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Right. Very boring. Learned nothing. Insipid bromides. It was like a politician saying it’s all for the children.

Might need to switch over to following T A&M. At least they have a lot going on with Manziel.

• ndfansince69 - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM

All I heard BK say is, “blah blah blah, we should win every game by two touchdowns.”

Go Irish!

• nudeman - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM

LOFL
        “all about the children” has long been one of my least favorite political spewings
        Total pandering
        Basically raw sewage
        Yes GOP, I’m talking about YOU

• bernhtp - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The Dems are the same about the effing children. There is no meaningful difference between the two branches of the pandering/manipulative political establishment. Political rant over before it gets really going.

• ibleedirish - Aug 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for ending that bern. Jesus nude.

• nudeman - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I stand quite correctly chastised for that

• 4horsemenrideagain - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM

nice ruling bern.

reminded me of the scene from “Sleepers” where the thugs buy a round for the guys at the other end of the bar and remind them of the house rule; no politics, no religion.

• cameronemclaughlin - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

While both parties have sold their souls to corporate interests, they differ significantly on social/moral issues.

• ibleedirish - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

just couldnt resist could you cam. shut up.

• danirish - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Dear Nude,
        I’m a public school teacher in North Carolina, yes nude, North Carolina. I can tell you something – The Democrats have long screwed NC teachers before the “Eeevaaaal” GOP took over here. When a Democrat utters “It is for the children” I know another expensive, money wasting, idiotic scheme is coming down on us.

I love my job

In Charlotte, I’ve seen the following players on the field – Prince Shembo, Robert Blanton, Matt Hargerty, and I will get to see this year, Hood from Charlotte Catholic run all over my beloved Sabres….again

GO IRISH!

2. oldschoollyons - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM

On the contrary, Kelly said several important things. Although the other day he poo-pooed the need to find starters on the right side of the offensive line, today he fessed up. The main issue on the right side is whether Stanley can make enough progress to be a starter (Whether at right guard or right tackle is another question although Kelly implied earlier that Lombard may be the right tackle). Today, in discussing open positions, Kelly immediately said he needs to see what Stanley can do when playing with the line. Clearly, there is much more of a battle at right guard than Kelly was willing to say earlier in the week.

Second, Kelly made it clear that he wants to see the freshman running backs in actual play situations, suggesting that, as many have expected, running back is far from a settled position.

Third, Kelly suggested that no freshmen will start on defense. He commented that it is a good feeling to have eight starters returning from last year’s national championship game. He said Diaco’s challenge is to find roles for all the developing talent that he has. He said that will be easier when the team starts practicing nickel and dime coverages. While not definitive, that suggests that Redmond will be in the nickel or dime coverage because the coaches have settled on Shumate as the starting safety.

3. irishpuma - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Redfield? Max….say my name.

4. dudeacow - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Oh look, it’s Gunner! Hi Gunner! It’s been a while, how’ve you been?

• mtflsmitty - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Was wondering if I was the only one to catch that.

Actually, I think since Nude and KA have formed their new alliance, the political rant was just a smokescreen to distract from the photographic error. Or not.

• nudeman - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM

“New alliance”?
        Please explain

5. rayguy14 - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I love Coach BK but I must say, listening to him do an interview with anyone is like listening to any leading Dem. do an interview with say Chris Matthews or David Gregory. All you get is a slobbering love fest and the same old platitudes. He certainly is a politician. I’m glad he proved in year 2 that at least he doesn’t coach politically correct. As bad as year 2 was, damn did I love watching him coach!