Practice Report Breakdown: Day Five

Aug 9, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT

Malik Zaire

There’s a ton of great information on the internet right now with Friday afternoon’s practice open to the media. You’d do yourself a favor to check out all the great stuff out there, but as always, here’s another way too close look at the UND.com Practice Report.

While it felt like they were editing a Jerry Bruckheimer movie with the quick cuts that makes it tough to decipher who is actually doing what, I took my best shot, and wore out the pause button, trying to make every little frame count.

The complete video is below, but here goes nothing.

0:55 — Bennett Jackson (2) walks in looking like the real deal. He was limited during practice today according to various reports, but Notre Dame might have their first All-American cornerback since what, Shane Walton?

1:01 — Fifth-year senior Tyler Stockton (92) broke down the team before getting to work. After a nice spring, Stockton has fallen in line behind Louis Nix, Kona Schwenke and some other players.

It’s interesting to note that Stockton’s “great” spring likely put a charge into Schwenke, who looks really fit during the snippets we’ve seen. That’s paying it forward for Schwenke, who was used as a similar prop when Louis Nix was on the outside of the starting lineup looking in a few springs ago.

(Motivation is a beautiful thing.)

1:05 — Don’t look now, but from this wide view, we can see that the Irish cornerbacks are running man-to-man with receivers. I think you can count on one hand how often that happened last year.

1:07 — We’re going into lightning cuts here (what is this, Transformers?), so it might be tough to stay up. We caught a flash of Prince Shembo before George Atkinson caught a kickoff. GA3 needs to get the spark back in his return game after a mediocre sophomore season.

1:09 — Corey Robinson (88) runs a pattern. We’ll see more from him in a few frames.

1:14 — Ugh. Here’s an educated guess on what we just saw. Cam McDaniel go through the gauntlet and run off tackle. Carlo Calabrese meets a back in the hole. Stephon Tuitt takes on Alex Welch. Center Nick Martin leads Will Mahone through a hole.

(Mahone put himself back on the map today, reminding people that he’s not just here to sit sixth on the depth chart.)

1:18 — Cam McDaniel cuts hard into a hole. Greg Bryant does the same, with Jaylon Smith crashing down hard to make a tackle, before Jarron Jones (94) helps clean up.

1:21 — Davaris Daniels (10) sits down in the zone and makes a strike from Tommy Rees (11).

1:26 — Heckuva play by Lo Wood (23), going up and taking a one-on-one ball away from Daniels on a deep throw by Rees.

1:28 — Greg Bryant hits the breaks before bursting through a hole. George Atkinson just gets into the second level of the defense before hitting the gas. Cam McDaniel reads his blocks for a big gainer.

1:33 — Steve Elmer is no match for Stephon Tuitt, who swallows Bryant whole in the backfield for an impressive stop.

1:37 — It looks like this coaching staff has uncovered a gem in Corey Robinson. Here the once unranked recruit, who received his first scholarship offer from Notre Dame, goes up and wins a 50-50 ball for a huge gain, making a nice catch on Lo Wood.

1:41 — Ishaq Williams drags down a ball carrier. Carlo Calabrese breaks up a pass heading Troy Niklas’ way. And Corey Robinson catches an end zone fade thrown by Tommy Rees for a touchdown.

(If Rees gets a little bit more accurate with the fade route in the end zone, that’s big trouble for opposing defenses.)

1:50 — You win the Practice Breakdown Power Ball if you had Will Mahone for play of the day. Here the sophomore back takes a quick throw from Tommy Rees and turns it into a big gainer.

2:00 — George Atkinson in the open field has to make opposing coaches sweat at night.

2:02 — Another nice Mahone run.

2:05 — A very nice block by Matt Hegarty who looks to have worked his way into the mix after a very scare medical scare last season.

2:08 — Is the future now? Jaylon Smith runs down the option, stretching the pitch play out and then tracking down the running back in the backfield. With Danny Spond out today with a minor nick, Smith took advantage of the additional time, shared with Ben Councell, who ran with the No. 1 defense.

That Smith sounds as good as advertised, certainly says something.

2:13 — Tommy Rees have a handoff in the backfield to McDaniel before delivering a strike to Davaris Daniels on a deep dig route. Daniels is met with a pretty large hit by Elijah Shumate, but not until a 20-yard pickup.

That gain was on the No. 1 defense, so an impressive play.

***

***

1. irishpuma - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Oh boy

2. irishpuma - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I saw Rees throwing ducks and 50/50′s and a pick. The last pass over the middle was good. I think you guys are drinking the cool aid on the QB situation.

• knuterocknesghost - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Per Irish Illustrated report on Friday’s practice watched by Pete Sampson from the sidelines: “Believe the hype of Tommy Rees, at least if the hype is the senior has added athleticism to his game. In person, Rees is noticeably thicker. On the field, he has the build of a bona fide college quarterback and showed functional mobility on Friday. When rolling to his right to avoid pressure, Rees showed improved arm strength and the ability to make a play”

• knuterocknesghost - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM

More from Sampson: “Rees’ decision-making today in 11-on-11 was sound, with a touchdown to Troy Niklas and TJ Jones standing out. Niklas bodied out Lo Wood for his score, more a physical mismatch than a great read. Still Rees put the ball where Niklas could capitalize on the half-foot he has on Wood. The Jones touchdown was different in that the senior took time to come open at the back of the end zone. Rees fit the pass between multiple defenders. Overall, this is Rees’ offense, and according to some defensive players, his team too.”

• knuterocknesghost - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Puma: Still in your grove I see.

• knuterocknesghost - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Still in your GROOVE I see.

• knuterocknesghost - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM

The most intoxicating and overrated trait that fans, especially some of the self designated geniuses here, think is THE single most important trait necessary for a team’s success on the field is speed and athletic ability in the quarterback. While these can become the traits that separate above average players from average players, no smart coach forgets the critical importance of a player’s intelligence for his or her sport. Doc Rivers once said: “Knowledge is speed. If you can outthink your opponent, you know what your opponent is going to do before he does it. That makes you faster than the guys who have the athleticism.” And his statement was in reference to basketball, a 5 player sport where individual athleticism might be expected to dominate a game more so than football with 11 players being fielded by a team at one time. Was Doc Rivers delusional?

• ndgoldandblue - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I agree that a quarterback does not need to be an athletic freak in order for him to be successful. We don’t need Denard Robinson. Nor must a quarterback have a cannon for an arm, a la Michael Vick. But I believe that a quarterback must do four things in order to be highly successful: 1) Be accurate (This was Dayne Crist’s problem), 2) Avoid turnovers, 3) Extend plays with his feet, 4) Extend the field with his arm.

Back in ’11, Tommy only had one of these things: accuracy. When I look at these criteria, I think of one very successful college quarterback–Andrew Luck. He wasn’t the fastest quarterback, but he could extend plays with his feet by evading the rush and even running for a first down when the play broke down. That threat to run has to be in the minds of the defense. If they don’t even consider it a possibility, they can gameplan much more easily.

When it came to arm strength, Luck doesn’t have a stronger arm than Golson…not by a long shot. But he does have a strong enough arm to extend the field and keep defenses honest. In ’11, Tommy didn’t have that. Everything was underneath. And as for turnovers and accuracy, everyone knows that Luck had no problems with either of those.

The point is that Tommy doesn’t have to be the best quarterback in the country in order for Notre Dame to be successful, but he does need to reduce his turnovers, extend the field a little more, and keep plays alive with his feet. Can he do that this year? I’ll believe it when I see it.

• nudeman - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM

knut and ndgoldandblue
        Great comments, particularly ndgold’s listing of the 4 things needed to be a productive QB.

On the topic of athleticism, one doesn’t have to be a great athlete (strong, fast, agile, etc) to be a good QB, but if you’re not a great athlete it means you’ve got to compensate by being great at other things. Larry Bird is the perfect example: Average athletically. Wasn’t strong, fast or a big jumper and would finish last if the NBA ever put on a decathalon event. But he was smart and incredibly instinctive with tremendous feel and vision.

Rees seems to have good feel for playing QB, but to date that’s been his only asset. He’s not Larry Bird by any means. We’re now reading all sorts of stories about how he’s quicker and his arm is stronger. I hope that’s true, but like ndgoldandblue I’ll believe it when I see it.

• ibleedirish - Aug 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM

you make good points, and i do think we will see an improved tommy this year, but mostly because the team is better overall. i take issue with all these reports of improved arm strength though. maybe i’m wrong but i believe arm strength is mostly something one is born with. not that i’m comparing, but i just know i could never through a fball farther than 45 yds, or a baseball faster than 70 mph no matter what i did in the gym. my brother on the other hand never picked up a weight, has a similar build and can chuck it 70 yards with little effort, and throw a pitch 90mph. please, again, i’m not comparing, just stating what i believe to be a fact: arm strength is largely innate. you have it or you don’t. And I believe not being able to throw farther than 25 yds on a rope at the bcs level is a major problem. hope i’m wrong.

• knuterocknesghost - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM

A football player can make up a lot of ground even if he doesn’t run the 40 in 4.5 or 4.6. Mental discipline and decision making is what made Manti Teo perform like a 4.6 player instead of the 4.7 or 4.8 player we later learned that he is – his devotion to film study and mental preparation made him play faster like Doc Rivers had said.

• knuterocknesghost - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Read option quarterbacks don’t stand up well to the pounding in the NFL, and in college that’s taking a big risk with the most important player on your squad when one loss in your season can mean you lose the opportunity to win the national championship. Read option quarterbacks can soon end up, if not in once season then the next, as a pile of torn ligaments, concussions, and broken ribs.

3. nudeman - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Anyone know when they’ll sell those practice jerseys in the bookstore?

• 1historian - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I must have asked that same question about 20 times last year until people finally got sick of it and told me so. Instead of ‘when’ I said ‘if’.

Whatever

I hope they do someday

4. irishaggie - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM

We have a ton of speed at the skill positions. I am way excited. I also noticed we don’t see Tarean Folston very much on these videos.

• bernhtp - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Folston was nicked up – I forget the minor injury.

Lots of speed all over the place. The offensive skill positions have gobs of it with the likes of Carlisle, Brown and Atkinson. Who’s the fastest seems to depend upon what distance and direction you’re measuring.

Brown and Atkinson are better known given that they played last year. Carlisle is the intriguing one. He’s getting a lot of attention with Rees singling him out as impressive and Kelly lavishing praise on his versatility and intelligence along with the phrase that always accompanies any mention of Amir: “his burst.” I hope he stays healthy because he has the potential to get fans holding their breath every time he touches the ball. We haven’t had that since the days of Rocket.

5. ajw21 - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:44 PM

knute: I know your a huge Rees supporter but why are you reposting messages you have posted on other articles? I myself don’t care who the qb is as long as he is the best we have but you don’t need to repost messages. You don’t need to shove your opinions down our throat. FYI: Not being argumentative, just doesn’t make sense to me.
    Go Irish!

• knuterocknesghost - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:57 PM

ajw21. Repeating my arguments doesn’t mean shoving it down your throat. Apologies if that’s what you think my intentions were. But what Doc Rivers observed about basketball still makes sense and is very appropos here, and I think bears repeating since Rivers is a very esteemed coach and expert on his sport. And we still get the same baloney replayed constantly here over and over again about how ND’s season is ruined because Golson or Zaire won’t be starting. Rather than have to choke on that one dimensional mindless stuff, it’s nice to be able to recall what Rivers had to say about atheleticism, which is the supposed big rap against Rees.

• nudeman - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

The sentiment that a season is ruined because the starting QB is lost is understandable. There is no single position, any sport, that can make or break a team like QB. I watched the post ’85 Bears, a team that should have won 3 SBs, spit it up yearly in the playoffs because McMahon couldn’t stay on the field. The dropoff from him to Steve Fuller (most scared guy I’ve ever seen play QB) and Mike Tomczak (incredibly non-instinctive and just plain dumb) was precipitous.

I don’t think Rees is the second coming of Tomczak or Fuller, but any objective analysis has to conclude there is a significant dropoff from Golson. Rees has played some very erratic football that has cost them games and it’s reasonable to wonder if this sinks the season. Personally I think a 2nd year Golson would have been pretty damn good; electric at times. Tommy can’t be that, but if he can just not turn the damn thing over, they’ll be OK.

6. knuterocknesghost - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM

The member of the coaching staff at ND who had eyes for Corey Robinson was a genius. The kid was hardly ranked by experts as a recruit, and ND was the first to offer a scholarship. He will be a big plus as a red zone weapon this year. Great hands and ball concentration, great at getting separation, and great length.

• mtflsmitty - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I was going to make the same comment re #88. I realize this may be a hand picked selection of film from each practice. But CR seems to be an amazingly well-trained WR, remarkable technique especially for a tall man, great natural ability, etc. Calling him a bean-pole (no offense intended by KA the other day I’m sure) is flatly wrong. The guy seems to be amazingly talented. I can see why BK says he’s going to play.

Won’t be long now, fellas. Go Irish!

• shortylongman - Aug 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM

The Little Admiral!

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Um, actually, that name has been taken already. Just ask Mrs. Robinson. Coo coo cachoo Mrs. Robinson, David says the Little Admiral wants to play. Hey, hey, hey. Hey, hey, hey.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM

What’s that you say, Mrs. Robinson? Dickasman has left and gone away. Hey, hey, hey.

• ibleedirish - Aug 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

agreed. robinson looks absolutely filthy, with great receiver instincts. best endorsement for corey was matthias farley the other day: “that kid catches everything”

7. ajw21 - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:36 AM

knute: I couldn’t agree more about Robinson. I do get tired of all the Rees posts, the ones bashing and praising. My guess is he will be average, good to great against weak teams and have trouble but better then 2011 against above avg defenses. I still say 3 losses or more is a dissapointment this year regardless of the qb.
    Go Irish!
    FYI: I am done posting about the qb. We will see how stable the position is by week 4.

8. jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Day 5 practice must have been tough, Jack Nolan got a tooth knocked out.

9. yaketyyacc - Aug 10, 2013 at 8:01 AM

well, I’m going to stay away from Rees. the video, agreed, gives short snips, but encouraging forecasts of the coming season, and the weather look to be bright and sunny. Hmm! is that a storm cloud I see? Hey, is that Rees raining on our parade? Didn’t you just say….. hope I’m wrong and the storm breaks over me, with future justifiable criticism.

10. goirishgo - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM

So this morning I was loading the ND schedule into a calendar I share with my wife (she’s the social chairman, and a damn good one, but some things are sacred) and realized – three weeks til kickoff!!!

Go Irish!

11. seadomer - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM

SO.. what can we agree on???

OK…. This is what I have based on all our amateur and novice comments
    1. 2013 TR is going to be better than 2011 TR …
    2. 2013 Defense is overall better than 2012 …
    3.2013 Offense overall production should be same if various players live up to their billings etc

I.am still excited although I will probably miss the Temple game because of a wedding

• rayguy14 - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I agree with points 1 and 2…however, I think our offense will take a step forward this season, if we can limit turnovers. Think about our O-line, I think it’s the most talented group we’ve had in years. With Niklas, Koyack, and Welch at TE, I think we are up there with the most talented group in the nation. At WR, Jones/Daniels, while no Tate/Floyd are pretty darn good. Only question is the depth at that position…but some talented Freshman coming in. RBs are as loaded with talent as I’ve seen in my lifetime (30 years). Lastly Rees, the senior…in control of the playbook and with his experience, not gonna be phased in any pressure situation.

I agree D is improved, but so is the O. When Kelly talks about practice and how it’s as competitive and intense as any he’s been around, I think there’s no way were not in a BCS bowl game this season. We may not get the breaks we got last year, but this team has the potential to be better than the 2012 team…more talent and more RKGs.

• yogihilt - Aug 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I’ve hardly ever seen a wedding venue with no TV’s anywhere.. and I am sure, Domer, you will find ways to piss your significant other off with multiple ‘loo’ visits.

12. 4horsemenrideagain - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

good comments today, especially the ones about raw speed vs. the right kind of speed. there are plenty of guys who aren’t burners who are always around the ball at the right time. they don’t look fast, so they’re not talked about as speedsters, but rather guys that have a nose for the ball or who are always in the right position. i’ll lump harrison smith in this group, and look at the rookie year he had and he’s looking to have another big year.

in my most optimistic moments, i don’t think TR is going to win games on his own or dazzle pro scouts with his improvement from last year. then again, if he has made enough strides that he can manage to not lose games this year, i feel confident enough about the defense that that TR not losing games could be enough production at QB for another great season.

After he scored that TD again UM, he had an expression on his face that reminded me of that Toby Keith song “How Do You Like Me Now?” Like he was thinking, “I was arrested, humiliated, and then beat out by an underclassmen, and now you’re loving me because I scored a rushing TD!” It showed a little bit of the chip on his shoulder and I hope he still has that chip and that it keeps him a little angry. Sometimes he just looks like too nice of a kid to be playing football and that he needs to play a little more pissed off.

• 1historian - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM

“he needs to play a little more pissed off.”

well said

thanks

• domerboyirish - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

We’ve all see TR play over the last couple of years and know that he has been slow and prone to turnovers. But we also know that TR is a competitive kid with a lot of heart. I seriously doubt that he has just been sitting back waiting for another chance. Knowing Longo, I bet this kid has been working on his physical deficiencies to become a better QB. When it comes to speed and arm strength, he won’t be Golson, or even Hendrix, but I’d be willing to bet that he appears to be stronger and faster than he has in the past. Those things alone should make him a better QB than we’ve seen from him before.

With our weapons, we shouldn’t need him to be a dynamic dual threat QB. We just need him to be smart and efficient.

13. mediocrebob - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM

“We have a lot of weapons “. Heard it here first. I have faith in BK and staff

14. shortylongman - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I had a conversation during the 2011 Stanford game that concluded Rees couldn’t bring a team to the top. He couldn’t make a play under duress. The key is the o-line. Less duress is essential, but he needs to make some plays. The reports that he might be more nimble are heartening. One or two escapes from pressure for a first down each game would give the team a chance to be elite. The same ratio of mistakes means 5 losses. The running game will decide how many play making vs disaster situations arise which again points back to the line. If they can dominate the whole thing could be special.

15. danirish - Aug 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM

My two cents:

1. TIRED of the jump balls! (Crist and Rees) Seems like every second completion is more receiver wanting it more than anything. The Chris Brown catch vs OK was the only time in the last few years that it was a great route with separation and a perfect throw. That is why I hate it that Golsen is gone and I think – what the Hell, play Zaire!

2. Give McDaniel, Bryant, and Folston the ball at least 5 – 10 times a game. TIRED of Atkinson being this experiment and “will he lower his pads.” You think Calebrese taught him that. Put him in the slot with Carlise if he can stay healthy.

3. Sorry, been out in the sun all day and in a bad mood but sometimes I think there are certain issues that are repeated over and over and over again. JUMP BALLS! AHHHHHHH!

GO IRISH!

(On a lighter note, would it not be hilarious if ND won it all this year with Rees playing almost every down and even in the Heisman talks?)

• bernhtp - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM

1. The jump-all was used when we had Floyd and Eifert. It won’t be as much a staple this year unless Robinson makes amazing progress. While Niklas is huge, he doesn’t have the catch radius and athletic jumping ability of Eifert. Also, Rees has inexplicably been poor throwing the fade, though this is an area where he reportedly has improved.

2. Atkinson doesn’t have the ball skills to be in the slot. Carlisle and Prosise appear to have it locked up, at least on plays where they don’t run a double TE set.

• ndgoldandblue - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I just want to see Carlisle get his hands on the ball. I think he could be more electric as a running back, but if he flourishes in the slot, then so be it. I remember being disappointed when he chose USC over Notre Dame back when we were recruiting him. I just had a feeling he was going to be great.

Just a little aside on running backs. My wife and I watched “Trouble with the Curve” tonight, and something just hit me. It’s like those word association games they put on standardized tests in elementary and high school. Running back is to football as pitcher is to baseball. The moral of the movie was that it’s worthless to waste a draft pick on a position player if he’s a “project”; it’s safer to stockpile another arm because it’s easier to use them and discard them when they’re finished.

Notre Dame has six top-notch running backs all competing for playing time, and they’d all be starters in at least half of the other FBS programs out there and all of the FCS programs. But we’re (and I’m very much to blame for this) stuck debating the quarterback situation. People don’t care as much about running backs because, like pitchers, they’re a dime a dozen. When one’s not up to snuff, there’s an equally talented one waiting in the wings. Without sounding too crass, all I can say is that’s gotta suck for these guys.

As a Vikings fan, I’m just going to appreciate Adrian Peterson now because he’s the last of his ilk. The era of the every-down, number-one running back is in its death rattle. Sorry for the rant, but it’s true. Do we really need this many talented running backs when we have depth issues on the defensive line?

• nudeman - Aug 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Here’s what I’m weary of:

1. Cam-mania. Is there any other role player, any sport, any team who generates such intense interest? He’s the equivalent of a middle reliever. I like the guy but don’t understand the hype. (actually, I do understand the hype, but … never mind)

2. GAIII and pad level. Amazing that the coaches are still talking about this in year 3 for him. I don’t think that’s a good sign at all. Just not a natural.

3. Actually, I’m having trouble coming up with a third thing. A good sign. Or maybe I’m just slipping.

• mtflsmitty - Aug 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Love the point about #33, Nude. Amazing discretion on the “why” re the hype. LOL. I get it.

• papadec - Aug 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

nude – regarding your #1 – for better, but mostly for the worst – A-ROD of the Yankees.

16. fnc111 - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM

A lot of IF’s written when talking about TR. What a waste this season will be because Kelly couldn’t land a stud QB in four years. This team looks to be loaded up and down the roster but the problem is ND is being led by an idiot HC and a turnover machine at QB.

• danirish - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Are you really Dayne Crist?

• bernhtp - Aug 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Even in great adversity – severe injuries and losing his job to Rees – Dayne always stayed positive and classy. How can FNC possibly remind you of Dayne?

• nudeman - Aug 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

bern
        I don’t know about that.

There was a story making the rounds that Dayne was at the heart of an in person bitch session with Weis when he was in town during the 2011 season.

Supposedly that was at the core of BK’s infamous “my guys” comment. If true, it explains why BK never again gave Dayne a shot, even when Tommy’s play deteriorated. As I recall, Dayne didn’t even make the trip to the Champs Bowl game.

There are some who say it never happened; there are others who swear it did. The initial recounting I read was very credible.

• bernhtp - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I have no knowledge of the bitch session but can believe it. I can’t help but think that Weis encouraged it.

If true, too bad, and I understand Kelly’s reaction.

• nudeman - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Interesting comment there, bern, especially coming from you, someone who seems closer to the situation than many of us.

Really think Weis would have been capable of that? I guess I do.

And as inappropriate as it might have been for the players to do this, it would be WAY worse for Weis to participate, or even have any face to face contact with his old team. He’s an adult, had his own team to worry about (was the OC at FL at the time) and should have known better.

17. irishpuma - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Couple things. We will see Zaire this year and starting. Second, some of you are ready to anoint a true freshman just on campus Robinson from three clips of practice really!!!! Really premature. So a 3 star with few offers is the real deal but a 4 star top 11 QB is unproven….Love the logic. I wonder what Doc Rivers would say??? Oh wait I could care less as I do not worship him and outside of motivational rhetoric he has no relevance on a football board. Glad to see someone called out the baby for re posting his same tired takes. He does a great job of distorting issues I have not seen anyone post we need a speed freak athlete at QB.

The discussion is that if you have a speed threat that is nice to shake things up and keep them honest. If you have a slow non mobile qb he better bring calm, sound decision and game management = no turnovers. Which to date Rees has never showed in any type of big sample set. Athletic QB’s can win, slow Qb’s can win, big arm QB’s can win, and conservative game managers can win no one is debating that. The interesting thing will be can TR change who he has been and win this year? We shall see. I hope so. I think he will do fine against the cream puffs on the schedule. Scared on the rest. 3 losses is a fail IMO.

Oh and we will see lobs, jumps, and ducks but hopefully some accurate 10-20 yard posts, outs and corners as well. Totally agree with another poster if the O line can keep him protected that will make a huge difference. As for the “overflowing we are loaded talent ” settle down. I think we are too but most of them have never played as well and these things take time. A year or two more and we will have Alabama type depth!!! And that is exciting hopefully Kelly is still here to enjoy it.

Hands down if the Amir stays healthy this could be his year!

• ibleedirish - Aug 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

No, not from 3 clips. More from what his head coach says.

• tburke9601 - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

If i’m not mistaken, he enrolled in the spring and had one of the best catches of the spring before getting hurt. Might have to go back and watch the videos again.

• bernhtp - Aug 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

The problem is that QB is a tougher position to learn. There is only one on the field and it’s rare to platoon at the position. Unless there are injuries and Zaire shows himself to be an amazing prodigy, he will wear a red shirt (and hat) all season.

Robinson is interesting. He reminds me of Tylrt Eifert and Jeff Samardzija. Both were marginal recruits. Both were tall, lanky, jumpers and had great hands and a huge catch radius. Robinson appears to be in this mold. He’s impressed everyone watching practices with his frequent circus catches. He gets separation without elite speed and can get up, out and around for the ball. While it will take him a while to develop, I expect him to be used in specialty situations (ala Chris Brown last year, but obviously different) such as goal line.

• knuterocknesghost - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Irishpuma: Hmmm. Corey Robinson doesn’t impress, huh?

“So a 3 star with few offers is the real deal but a 4 star top 11 QB is unproven….Love the logic. I wonder what Doc Rivers would say???”

I would guess Doc would say I’ll judge talent for myself. And I will trust ND’s coaching staff’s judgment before yours any day. And I will trust the judgment of his teammate who goes up against him in practice, Matthias Farley, who said in a taped interview shown on Irish Illustrated: “that kid catches everything”.

What was Prince Shembo’s star ranking by the recruiting experts for the 2010 high school graduating class? Answer: Only three stars. No offers from schools with recent BCS credentials either. Stanford offered him a scholarship too, but prior to 2010 was an also-ran program until it secured an Orange Bowl invitation at the end of the 2010 season, Shembo’s freshman year.

What was Tyler Eifferts star ranking? Answer: Only three stars. No offers from a BCS rated school. Only 6 other offers other than form Notre Dame.

I could go on with other examples. I could also point out five star busts. Including Dayne Crist.

But the main point is Kelly has been successful wherever he’s coached. And in college coaching judging talent on your own is part of the job description and not letting the opinions of the “experts” at ESPN, Rivals, or Tom Lemming serve as a substitute for your own judgment. That, my dear Puma, is the logic you miss.

I’ll take projects like these kids, including Robinson, every time.

BTW, Puma, if star ratings are the only thing that matter to you, then know that Corey Robinson ended up with a 4 star ranking from Rivals and Scout. Happier now?

As far as TR going up against the big boys on the schedule? I suppose you’re right. TR has been and always will be just a complete bust. A kid like him doesn’t have any prospect of improving his performance. After all, he was just a three star recruit too who only had interest shown in him from Notre Dame, Stanford, and Tennessee according to Rivals.com.

• mtflsmitty - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Puma,

First of all, try getting a little sleep. It will do wonders for your mood. Posting at 1:42 AM EST is obviously past you bedtime, buddy.

Case in point, you won’t feel compelled to admonish others for making wildly inflammatory remarks like, “CR looks like he has great skills” and provocative comments like, “CR catches everything and BK seems to really like him”.

Lighten up. Come back when the platoon is better rested.

18. irishpuma - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM

PS I think Robinson can develop and is definitely a RKG with huge potential in time.

19. yogihilt - Aug 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Earlier this week I posted this…”Keith, can you please get the Vanderdoesn’t photo off the front page of the articles section… I think we’re all tired of looking at it. Great work, Go Irish”
    With 51 ‘likes’, and no ‘dislikes’. I think you should take note.
    Vanderdoesn’t must go on front page

• bernhtp - Aug 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

My guess is that Keith has zero control over this. It is automatically picked from the highest viewed articles. You might want to complain to WordPress, but they don’t care either.

People just need to get over Vanderdoes, and in both directions.

• NotreDan - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

It’s actually the highest “commented” articles.

If we want it off there we need to pile up comments on other articles.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Yogi……..your last sentence says that Vanderdoesn’t must go on front page. Apparently WordPress agrees with you.

20. 25kgold - Aug 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM

***OFF TOPIC****

How do you rate the uniforms LeBron James purchased for his high school football team this season (their nicknamed “The Irish” also)?

• nudeman - Aug 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Garbage

21. wisner74 - Aug 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Nicky Baratti is out for the year according to the SB Tribune.

• mtflsmitty - Aug 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM

If true, an absolute shame for him. Unfortunate.
      For the Irish, we’re fortunately pretty stacked at S. Probably one of the few places we can absorb a blow.