Safety Baratti to have season-ending shoulder surgery

Aug 12, 2013, 1:16 AM EDT

Baratti

A crowded race for playing time at the safety position might be light one of leading contenders for the job. Sophomore safety Nicky Baratti could be done for the season, reportedly reinjuring a shoulder injury that required offseason surgery. A year after playing in all 13 games last season, multiple reports, first uncovered by IrishIllustrated.com, have Baratti’s season finished before even getting started.

Notre Dame hasn’t officially commented on the injury, with the team taking the weekend off. But Irish Illustrated cites a Facebook post from Baratti’s father Clarke, who revealed his son would be out for the ’13 season.

If the injury does keep the Texas native off the field for the season, it’ll allow Baratti to save a year of eligibility. After multiple seasons of limited depth at safety, Baratti’s injury is at a position where there’s actual depth to spare — with the race to play next to incumbent starter Mattias Farley featuring frontrunners like Elijah Shumate, Austin Collinsworth, Max Redfield and Eilar Hardy.

A converted high school quarterback, Baratti quickly worked his way into the rotation in the secondary as a freshman, coming up with a critical interception against Michigan last season while contributing on special teams as well.

Brian Kelly will likely update us on Baratti’s status tomorrow after practice, but those searching for clues could look to the sophomore’s Twitter account, where he recently posted, “Everything happens for a reason.”

MONDAY UPDATE — Head coach Brian Kelly confirmed after practice that Baratti dislocated his shoulder during practice and will have season ending surgery.

1. 25kgold - Aug 12, 2013 at 1:29 AM

N.M.I (Next Man In)–Heard this before? -_-

• bernhtp - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Uh, Nick was next man in. Let’s go lighter on the coachspeak here.

• nudeman - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Well if we all give 110%, the good Lord willing we’ll be just fine

• ndgoldandblue - Aug 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Nuke: It’s kind of boring, isn’t it?
        Crash: Of course it’s boring. That’s the point. Write it down.

• NotreDan - Aug 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM

was there no practice on Saturday?

2. irishaggie - Aug 12, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Tough break for this guy. He may save a year of eligibility but he was going to be a big special teams contributor and was a solid back up. We’ve actually had very few injuries so far I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

3. yaketyyacc - Aug 12, 2013 at 12:30 PM

nude, that’s what Frank Leahy said at a pep rally when I was a student. 110% and the Irish would achieve success. thak for jogging the old memory.

• nudeman - Aug 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

No disrespect to Frank who I loved, but that is one nauseatingly insipid piece of drivel athletes spew when interviewed.

Some others:

– “I just want to win”. Translation: “If we win, that’s cool, but mostly I need a 5 year no cut extension”

– “We’re just taking this one game at a time”. Translation: “Have you seen our schedule? We have no fucking chance”

– “If we stay focused and disciplined, I like our chances”. Translation: “We have no goddamn focus or discipline”

– “To tell you the truth …” Translation: “Here comes a whopper”

– “I got no comment on that”. Translation: “Let’s meet for a beer after the game and I’ll tell you what an asshole everyone on this team is”

– “It’s not about money, it’s about respect”. “It’s 100% about money”

– “We need to bring our ‘A” game”. Translation: “We haven’t brought our A game all year, so why now?”

– “I have NEVER used PEDs”. Translation: “Can I borrow some of your urine?”

– “I want to stay with this team the rest of my career” Translation: “Get me the fuck out of here”

– “I’m retiring to spend more time with my family”. Translation: “My mistress dumped me and I hit .198 last year”

• NotreDan - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Nude, bro, you’ve been pretty cynical as of late, all ok with you?

• nudeman - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM

All’s cool DC
        Thanks for askin’ though

• bernhtp - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I share Nude’s recent cynicism and disdain for 110% etc. It probably comes from boredom.

I’m ready for some football. I want to see Tommy win the Heisman as I cheer while pulling crow feathers from my mouth.

• papadec - Aug 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

hahahahahahaha……… there’s the nude we know & love. Thanks for the laughs – those are classics (but ohhhhhhhhh so true).

• bearcatirishfan - Aug 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Rotflmao

Some of those are great but you forgot the best one

“With God all things are possible”. Translation: “it’s ok that I have 10 kids with 8 women because I’m fast and god obviously loves me.”

• nudeman - Aug 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM

bearcat
        Good one. This could take on a life of its own, but so what.
        Here’s another one:

“Whatever skip says. He’s our leader”
        Translation: “As long as that MF bats me 3rd and puts me at short, we ain’t got no issues”

Or this:
        “Go ahead – ax me a question”
        Translation: “Beware: I’m dumb so please don’t take what I say out of content”

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 12, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Nude my favorite is….

“With all due respect Your Honor……”
        Translation: Judge, if you weren’t such an asshole you’d see that…..

• bearcatirishfan - Aug 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Ah it’s summer and no practice video for two days, what else are we gonna do!

Backup quarterback says “I’m just tying to get all the work i can and be ready should I need to get in there.

Translation1: “the starter is a chump and if he wasn’t a 1st round bust owned 15 mil this year I would start”

Translation2: “I hope another teams sees this and gives me a chance to start.”

• nudeman - Aug 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Some good ones here. But you all missed this (and I apologize in advance IF you’re offended:

“I’m not saying it’s racism, but … ”

Translation: “Whitey’s fucking me in the ass again”

• bearcatirishfan - Aug 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Wow,I think you just pulled out the calling your girl the c word in the middle of a party equivalent of sports speak.

• nudeman - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Yeah … probably so.

But someone had to do it

4. fnc111 - Aug 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Even if this kid has to take a medical retirement he is forever in my hall of fame for ND players. Huge INT last year against scUM helping secure a win.

5. whodabigdog - Aug 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Nudie you left out my favorite. “I’d play for free” translation “i want a new contract. Show me the effen money “

6. goirishgo - Aug 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Thanks for the Bull Durham reference Nude. Such a quotable film.

The rose goes in front big guy.

7. papadec - Aug 12, 2013 at 7:38 PM

This column is better than the Sunday comics, today!

8. shawtiernan - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:11 AM

The only one I truly hate is the “I just want to thank god” after every win. God has nothing to do with wins or losses or your performance in said game. Not like you hear a bunch of guys in the losing locker room the next week lining up to thank god. To me it’s a ridiculous ritual guys do purely for ego purposes, and the few guys that do believe it are even worse. How delusional do you have to be to actually believe god influenced the outcome of any particular game? As a Christian it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.