Sheldon Day looks like a star in the making

Aug 12, 2013, 8:08 PM EST

US Presswire US Presswire

The Dynamic Duo of Louis Nix and Stephon Tuitt might just become a power trio. That’s because of the emergence of sophomore defensive end Sheldon Day, who has opened more than a few eyes with his work over the summer and in fall camp. After playing limited snaps as a true freshman, Day has stepped in for Kapron Lewis-Moore and is quickly looking like a start in the making.

Don’t believe the hype? Well, it sounds like head coach Brian Kelly does.

“I mean, I know all the talk is about Nix and Tuitt, but I can tell you, Sheldon Day is… just watch the film,” Kelly said. “His first step quickness, he’s an impressive football player. I wouldn’t trade him for anybody on our football team right now. He’s as impressive of a football player that we have on our defense.”

Considering Notre Dame has two guys up front that might be top 15 picks in the NFL Draft, Day’s trade value, even if it is in a strict hypothetical, is really impressive.

One of the things that’s probably most interesting about Day is the fact that he’s not cut from the traditional mold you’d expect in Kelly and Bob Diaco’s defense. While Day had the type of elite offers that made him a recruit that was targeted on the national level (LSU and Florida don’t come after too many kids from Indianapolis), at 6-foot-2, 280-pounds, he was a bit of a tweener on the Irish defense, especially when he was being pursued as a defensive end.

Perhaps it was because he lacked the star-power of other big names like Tuitt, Aaron Lynch or Ishaq Williams, but Day flew under the radar heading into South Bend, even though he was doing things early in his career that clearly showed a capacity for excellence. Consider how quickly Day has moved into the role of an every snap player.

“Right now if there’s an eight-play drive, he does not come out of the game,” Kelly said Monday. “He’s the one that does not come out of the game. His work volume, his ability to go. His pass rush ability. He’s an outstanding football player.”

Just about every coach has raved about Day. Defensive line coach Mike Elston speaks highly of Day, reportedly raving about his skills at the coaches clinic. Kelly has called Day one of the most difficult blocking assignments along the defensive line, and a year in the weight room will only enhance that skillset.

If anything, Day is a nice reminder that while this staff recruits to a profile, it’s more art than science when they look at film and project a player. Last year, Prince Shembo was one of the team’s most productive players, all while looking like a player that Notre Dame wouldn’t have even recruited on paper because of his physical profile alone.

With offensive line coaches committing plenty of bodies to blocking preseason All-Americans Nix and Tuitt, Day could find himself in quite a few spots to take advantage of one-on-one match-ups. That could mean Day receives star billing sooner than later.

1. dickasman - Aug 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Good, great to hear!

• ibleedirish - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Wait, what? That was like, a totally normal post. Are you ok? You’re scaring me dicky…

2. bernhtp - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I was afraid that position would take a big step backwards with the loss of Kap. Apparently Sheldon is stepping up big to ensure not.

• dickasman - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Lets hope it’s a great Day!

• dickasman - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Hey what’s your thoughts on tight ends this year? I think we might as well put 2 lineman in there n go jumbo every time.

• bernhtp - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM

There’s no replacement for Eifert, but I like Niklas, Koyak and/or Welsh to show up pretty big.

• dickasman - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

No way….I just don’t see it bern. I wish. Nicklaus needs to put down the needles and start doing yoga. He’s too stiff, in my world, that’s a good thing but not in his. He certainly has the size.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Dick, you always keep us guessing. I love that about you. You make a comment on tight ends without even a hint at sexual innuendo. Nice job. By the way, I just said innuendo. It’s a perfect straight line for you.

• dickasman - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Hey babe! XOXO followed by fingablast!

3. dudeacow - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I’ve been excited for Day for months now. This kid showed incredible promise during his first season. 10+ sacks for him this year.

• dickasman - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Dude if you could’ve somehow worked in a “week”, I woulda given ya 69 TU!

4. fnc111 - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Alford might be done at ND for good.

• nudeman - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM

For u to use a death of a 39 year old man as a platform for your raw sewage that u spew here says everything about you.

Time for you to just go away. Seriously. You jumped the shark months ago.

• nudeman - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Seriously, I just read this again.

You’re an asshole.

Ha ha … probably having a good laugh over that, aren’t you?

A guy died at 39. He was a husband, father and brother. He was a respected professional.
      This has zero to do with football.
      And it really is time for you to STFU and just go away.

I hope Keith reads this and does the right thing and blocks your sorry, 98 lb ass.

• mtflsmitty - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Been telling all you guys this for some time. Yes, this guy is an asshole. And yes, sadly, he probably is enjoying it.

KEITH, WHAT IS THE POLICY FOR BLOCKING SOMEONE?

• ndgoldandblue - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Yep…agreeance. There have been a few times when I thought Mr. Asman should get the boot, but I’ve come to realize that he’s really Rob Van Winkle (Vanilla Ice), and he’s using this blog as a sound board for any new material he’s come up with. It’s often playful and done tongue-in-cheek. He’ll come up with a hit eventually.

fnc, however, is just like his buddies on the Fox News Channel (which, I’m assuming, is what fnc stands for). He actually believes the nonsense he posts on this board. He and his ilk remind me of a couple of friends I have back home who tell me, with a straight face, that they have seen bigfoot on several occasions. Every time, I just smile, pat them on the shoulder as if they were a couple of five-year-olds, and I go about on my way…all the while feeling sorry for them.

Hey fnc, your pal Glenn Beck needs someone as crazy as him to believe his conspiracy theories. You two would make a perfect pair. Maybe you should spend your time tracking him down, and leave this Notre Dame blog to people who actually have a soul.

• dickasman - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I don’t get it. What did I miss guys? Who died?

• dickasman - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Ok I got it now. Well, he’ll/should be back, I hope. One of better recruiters we have. I think you guys are over reacting a bit. It’s not like you guys knew Aaron personally and fnc just said he might be done at nd. I don’t see what he said wrong but I am probably not a good judge

• bernhtp - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Tony Alford’s brother just died. I’m sure he’s taking it very hard. He’s that type of guy.

• nudeman - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Concur with smitty

KEITH – GET THIS ASSHOLE fnc OFF THIS SITE

• desertirish - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I saw your post on the other story as well. You’re probably the biggest tool that I have ever encountered. A man has died. Do you have not one shred of decency within you?

• dickasman - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM

On the internet? Nope, zero, zilch because I don’t live my life on the internet. I have “real” family and friends in my real life and no facebook, imagine that, huh?

• ER Jedi - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Blocking an account never works, as new accounts are limitless. Completely ignoring someone is what does work. No replies, no thumbs up, no thumbs down. Just complete disregard. You’d never be able to pull it off, as people can’t help but respond, but it works.

• ndgoldandblue - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Well, the least fnc could do is keep his takes “fair and balanced”. Wait a minute…he probably thinks he is.

• papadec - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM

There’s always Guido…………….

• Laughing Tulkas - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM

There is such a thing as IP blocking. Does this blog not have that functionality? If so, color me surprised!

5. dickasman - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM

High five!!!

• bernhtp - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I can see you saying that in a Borat voice, though you may be more a Bruno type of guy.

• dickasman - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I had my neon green one piece toothfloss on too when I said it.

• dickasman - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Bern, you got problem w me having anal sex w another man while we tug on another guy? I thought you was a democrat?

• bernhtp - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Dick: I’m not a Dem and have no problems with anything you do, as long as I don’t have to watch or think about it.

• dickasman - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Oh good you’re a republican, I love you more now babe! Xoxo

• bernhtp - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Dick: I’m not a Republican either. I hate politicians, politics in the electoral sense, and think that anyone who looks to politics for solutions to anything just hasn’t been paying attention.

6. mikes1160 - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM

No d-man, fnc111 is a cancer on this site and has been for a looooooong time.

7. 25kgold - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM

All Day, Every DAY!

8. Keith Arnold - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Guys — I’m pulling some of these comments for obvious reasons. Let’s show some respect around here.

• jommy995 - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Do as you like. It’s a great site, and I’m grateful to have it to read. Certainly your perrogative. But re those calling idiotic comments a cancer, just know that this longtime lurker disagrees. I’ve got some personal acquaintance with cancer, and suffering an insensitive fool’s post doesn’t hold a candle. Stupid posts are part of the information-highway experience. It’s not like we hafta keep reading after we see the letters fnc.

• NotreDan - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Brothers:

One key strength of this blog (Thank you Keith) is that KA does not ban people. He has taken appropriate censorship measures when necessary, but when a blog starts down the path of blocking/exclusionary tactics it just makes the whole place smaller, less interactive and less fun.

We all agree, fnc is a small, petty, unintelligent douche-nozzle, but, the presence of fellows like him comes with the success of ND Football. ND, especially when successful is a lightning rod for these types of haters.

• dickasman - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Well said Daniel SON!!! Totally agree! Lets not forget that sadly, this place was a bit of a ghost town. Sometimes when you get big, there are going to be problems. If Keith doesn’t get any traffic here, most likely, you’ll be complaining that he doesn’t write too many articles nor would Keith feel like writing? Why da fock would Keith want to write for same 2 geezers everyday?

Things get bad, believe me Keith does reach out to you and tell you how it is. I respect him and his website so when i get called down, i go to a corner. id rather personally have it this way then the way it was before. Yes, sometimes things get heated and we say dumb stuff but we have some good conversations and find out some good info.

For instance, I found out on here that papadec likes to kiss guys with his dentures on.

9. yaketyyacc - Aug 13, 2013 at 6:58 AM

meanwhile, back at the article…. good news on Day. thanks Keith. this young man seems to be a coaches dream, and in this case ours. Notre Dame sure looks good on paper. and our opponents will find out that Notre Dame is no “paper” tiger. Sic em Irish

• dickasman - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Yakety, regular dream or wet dream?

10. NotreDan - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Feeling pretty optimistic, I have to say. I love all the stories about guys stepping things up, all the off-season effort, leaders emerging. This is the way great teams gel, and the “team” psyche takes on a life of it’s own.

18 days until Temple!

And… my personal countdown; 25 days until Michigan. See you in Ann Arbor!

• dickasman - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Oh boy that temple game will be a snoozer, 50-0. I guess I shouldn’t be bitching about semi automatic W’s.

• NotreDan - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I hope they take it so seriously that all the starters are done at half time vs. Temple, and CBK can throw a bunch of weird plays on the field to befuddle the hokester.

11. papadec - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM

dick, dick, dick – just when you started posting some semi-coherent items & I was going to give you a thumbs up, you go and make a crack about my dentures.