Practice Report Breakdown: Day Seven

Aug 14, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT

Prince Shembo, Sean Cwynar, Hafis Williams

With training camp in full swing, Notre Dame scrimmaged on Tuesday, working 11 on 11 in preparation for the season opener against Temple, not just over two weeks away.

While it’s getting harder and harder to make anything out from this videos thanks to some fancy editing, that won’t stop us from trying.

As usual, here’s a supplement for your viewing pleasure.

0:11 – Jack Nolan in midseason form… Gets weather into his opening lede. That’s my guy.

0:30 — With Tony Alford away from the team after the sudden death of his brother, Brian Kelly is working with the running backs. Alford is expected back with the team on Sunday.

0:41 — Take that, NFL Films. A great shot of the lines squaring off, with what looks like the reserve unit.

0:47 — Blink and you’ll miss freshman Tarean Folston (25) hit the hole before Jaylon Smith (9) comes off the edge to make the play.

0:50 — Amir Carlisle (3) takes a handoff in the backfield and breaks a nice run against the No. 1 defense.

0:54 — Tommy Rees (11) throws a strike to freshman Corey Robinson (88), who makes the catch in front of Cole Luke (3).

0:57 — Bruce Heggie (51) blocks down on fifth-year senior Tyler Stockton (92) during some work in the trenches.

1:02 — Rees hits TJ Jones (7) on a crossing route behind the defense, a big play in the making. That’s Jaylon Smith (9) doing his best to run him down before Elijah Shumate (22) takes him down.

1:05 — Ishaq Williams (11) meets a running back in the backfield for a loss.

1:07 — Outside linebacker Prince Shembo (55) looks mighty scary with the Darth Vader facemask. He takes on a block from Troy Niklas.

1:10 — Rees steps up and throws a bullet to James Onwualu (17) who makes the catch in front of cornerback KeiVarae Russell (6). It looked like the Irish purposely rolled the pocket to the right, and Rees stepped into his throw nicely.

That Onwualu has been matching up quite a bit with Russell makes you think that the freshman is in line for some early playing time.

1:15 — Senior quarterback Andrew Hendrix (12) makes a really nice throw over the top of the zone defense to CJ Prosise (20), connecting for a big gain.

1:18 — Fifth-year senior Tyler Stockton (92) tosses Mark Harrell (75) aside and waits for a running back in the hole. A very nice play by the veteran.

1:24 — Filed under things you might not have seen last year: Tommy Rees, flushed out of the pocket, slings a throw to tight end Ben Koyack (18) for a nice gain instead of a big loss. A positive step for the veteran quarterback and something that’s very promising.

1:26 — A little trickeration is no match for Prince Shembo, who stops a nifty play in the backfield.

1:30 — Andrew Hendrix does his best not to get happy feet in the pocket, waiting out his receivers before connecting on an out route with freshman Will Fuller (15).

1:34 — Another look at freshman Greg Bryant (1), another impressive run. But perhaps stealing the show on this snap was the massive block James Onwualu (17) lays at the end of the play, flooring the DB that gets in his way.

***

1. fnc111 - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Prince Shembo will be the defensive MVP this year. Got a chance to meet him a couple of weeks ago and he looks like a beast without pads on. When his opponents see him with that face mask they’ll be S.O.L. and tapping out early.

• mattnef - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Looks like a lot of those running plays were out of the pistol. I fully endorse this variation in the offense. And I like seeing the trickeration, even if Shembo did sniff out that specific play.

• danirish - Aug 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I saw him in Charlotte when he played High School ball for Ardrey Kell – he was constantly beating up on my beloved Sabres. He is a beast.

2. shaunodame - Aug 15, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I hate to say it, but I cant even watch these videos any longer. There is anywhere between about a 0-4% chance that anything they show on these videos could be used in any useful way for evaluating this team. They’re puff pieces. There is just no way Coach Kelly & Co. are going to let anything important onto the internet for everyone to see (opposing fans, players, and teams included).

Beyond watching the first video or two to get a look at the Freshies and see where our returning players are physically, they kind of lost their touch for me. Am I alone on this?

P.S. this is no knock on Keith at all, I understand completely why you do these breakdowns, and I still thank you none-the-less.

3. 1historian - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Rees’ passes look pretty good to me.

4. grattanstanford - Aug 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Prince will shoot up in the draft after a big year he is a beast

5. ndfightingirishfan - Aug 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Shembo does seem to be the forgotten man on this D, but I agree he is a monster and I do believe he will make several big plays this season.

Go Irish!

6. 1notredamefan - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:16 AM

I see alot of people not liking these short clip video’s and I have to agree, but just like Kelly not doing a presser after every practice this year there has got to be something to this… I’ll never forget the scowl Kelly gave that bama guy last year after our melt down. sneaky sneaky HA! GO IRISH!!!