Aug 14, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
With preseason rankings slowly trickling out, Sports Illustrated released their Top 25 today and have Notre Dame ranked No. 8 in the country. Here is the rest of the top ten:
3. Texas A&M
4. Ohio State
6. South Carolina
8. Notre Dame
That the Irish are three notches ahead of where they sit in the USA Today Coaches poll shouldn’t be all that surprising. One thing that did raise a few eyebrows is the ranking of Stanford, who are No. 2. Also of note, Michigan State, who wasn’t ranked in the Coaches Poll, checks in at No. 15, Michigan is No. 18, and Oklahoma 19. USC, who was No. 24 in the Coaches Poll, isn’t ranked.
While the entire breakdown is worth a read, SI singled out Amir Carlisle as the potential breakout player and Max Redfield as a freshman to watch. Defensive tackle Louis Nix is the team’s X Factor, with SI calling Nix’s performance against Alabama arguably the best of his season.
- Running back Tony Jones Jr. commits to Irish 36
- Irish open spring: Five quick updates from BK 44
- Tracking fifth-year spots and the bumpy road to 85 scholarships 38
- Great on paper, rebuilt staff needs to hit the ground running 15
- Matt Hegarty will transfer for fifth year 31
- Spring solutions: Offensive Line 64